Trade: Moreno to Crew for Ngwenya

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by anderson, May 8, 2007.

1. Zimbabwe_National

Zimbabwe_National New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    its every 2 years qualifying starts January of the beginiing of that second year
    and Zimbabwe has already capped him for the Morocco game in Harare which was their last qualifyer so he is going to be in the tourny and in every qualifyer so no doubt you will be mising him due to national team duties and then you have WC Qualifying which he's on the squad for that also so he's gonna be flying back and forth a lot.

2. Highway 6

Highway 6 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Austin
    Hey Zimbabwe National, thanks for the info on Joseph. You will be happy to know that he will starting tommorow for the Dynamo against Toronto. It came because of an injury to Paul Dalglish, but you have to take any chance you get in this sport. He will be playing alongside Brian Ching who plays for the USA national team and is a great holding center forward. If Joseph can use his speed and make the most of his chances, he can make a name for himself. You said you played with Joseph? Do you still play now?

3. Zimbabwe_National

Zimbabwe_National New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    yes im his sub lol

4. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Alejandro probably watched the game last night. He probably chuckling to himself after seeing Ngwenya's performance.

5. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    He missed a clear goal last night :mad:
    He should not have played with just four days of trainning. Wondo should have started :rolleyes:

6. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want Prince Paul back. IIMO, he and Ching make a better team at forward and Paul creates more chances for himself and Chingy. Also, he plays the full field - it's rare that you don't see him playing defense when the other team has possession of the ball.

Get well soon, Paul!!:)

7. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guys lets not jump down his throat just yet! Ive seen ELP and Italian pros miss the same shot under better weather condtions. If this continues then by all means drill his ass! He tryed to wrap it around the goalie, which did a good job of covering the angle.....I just think he should looked to his right and he would have seen Ching(i think) crashing the goal!

8. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    When you are one v one with the goalie, it all comes down to how composed you can be.

Dalglish has done well with those kind of opportunities (not many) and probably would have gotten a goal out of the two chances.

Ngwenya is a big boy and a professional. If he can't get over his panic on the ball he isn't going to make it.

Maybe John Spencer can tutel him, but we need production out of the second forward now - not in another year.

9. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Dalglish hasn't exactly set the world on fire himself, he's got 4 goals in 15 games and only 3 shots this year, none of them on target. Ngenwya was able to get off 2 shots last night (neither on target).

Ngenwya should have scored on his 1v1 last night but I think it's a bit early to declare him a bust because of it. And it's pretty common knowledge that he doesn't have the best touch in the world, we knew that when we traded for him.

At this point they should be splitting time until one of them proves he is the clear cut favorite or sucks terribly and shouldn't be on the field.

10. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it was Ngenwya first game with the Dynamo, but the second missed could have been one of the easiest goals he could have scored. A simple fake right and then flick it left and using his speed he could have walked into the goal. Didn't we get this guy because of his speed? Did anybody noticed the frustration in Ching's face and I believe Davis when Ngenwya didn't pass them the ball. Then Ngenwya arguing with one of them. I don't think they would have done the same thing to Moreno. Just an observation.

11. Dynamogal

Dynamogal Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, Paul hasn't scored as much as we (and he, I'm sure) had hoped but there are other things he does during the game that are positive and add to our offense and defense. I know this was only Joseph's first game but I didn't see the same spark and determination from him that we always see from Paul. We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

12. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ahhhhh. The joys of Ngwenya. :D

Not really rubbing it in... I just remember him very well w/ LAG: blistering speed, an eye for the goal, and the delicate touch of a 14 year old boy in front of a naked Super Model, the kind of boy who couldn't score in a brothel.

He's at least always in a position to score. He just doesn't... score.

To be fair, he got in those incredible positions through his speed and b/c he earned it, either outright or by anticipating well when a defender would mess up due to the conditions.

13. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may not be the only one who liked what he showed in last nights game, but I appear to be one of very few. He showed tons of speed and a least the desire to take the shot, both of which have been in short supply since Landicakes left this team. Dalglish is nowhere near as fast and about as accurate. Where Ngwenya (aka Newguy until I can remember how to pronounce his name) can set himself apart by getting more familiar with his new teammates and occasionally making a well timed pass. Something that Moreno was to good at while not being a good shooter. Dalglish is not that great a shooter but doesn't make spectacular passes either.

Missed opportunities last night should be expected if you're unfamiliar with a new team and it's expectations. After actually seeing the guy in action, I think he's an upgrade over both Moreno and Dalglish.

One question I have for a number of you. How many of you were busting on Moreno because he failed to score on that breakaway against Pachuca?

14. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo picked up a guy who is notorious for not finishing chances and then he gets in on the keeper at least twice and comes away with nothing to show for it. Who woulda thunk it?

15. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town
    I'm just quoting above post as an example
    That was his FIRST game with Dynamo , so give him some credit AND time
    for god's sake !!
    For all negative Dynamo post pls go here >>> :https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481242 <<<<

16. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My little numbers game expanded to include Daggers and DeRo, in order of goals per shot:

Code:
            2006 Numbers
                       gp  gs  min    g   a  sht sog fc   fs  c  ej
    Dwayne DeRosario   30  29  2534  11   5  55  26  40   55  2  2
    Joseph Ngwenya     22  18  1521   5   2  29  13  27   31  5  2
    Brian Ching        21  20  1822  11   2  64  30  38   50  1  0
    Paul Dalglish       6   3   313   2   1  13   7  11    1  3  0
    Alejandro Moreno   30  30  2620   3   6  36  21  49  112  2  1

min/g   sog/sht g/sht   g/sog   min/fc  min/fs
    Dwayne DeRosario        230     .473    .200    .423    63       46
    Joseph Ngwenya          304     .448    .172    .385    56       49
    Brian Ching             166     .469    .172    .367    48       36
    Paul Dalglish           157     .538    .154    .286    28      313
    Alejandro Moreno        873     .583    .083    .143    53       23
    Notice Dalglish has a high on-goal to shot ratio, but a low goal to shot ratio. Newguy's ratios are almost as good as DeRo's, but slightly better then Ching's. (!!!?) If he develops a knack for find the open player near him, and pumps up his assist numbers, goalies won't be able to cut his angles off without leaving the goal open so they'll have to cheat and that usually leads to one thing. Goals, lots of them, from him and his teammates. (I have a feeling Dom has had a talk like this with him this morning. At least I hope he has...)

I've come around to this trade. I think both teams got what they needed. Once both are gelled with their teams, we'll come out a little ahead though.

17. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    but we got rid of Moreno;)