Trade: Moreno to Crew for Ngwenya

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by anderson, May 8, 2007.

1. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To my knowledge Gray has never played at forward in MLS. Fire fans would be able to tell us if he has.

Anyway, I think you are guilty of drawing a conclusion that isn't justified. Gray's goal production is pretty normal for a defender/defensive midfielder. I don't see you getting on Ryan Cochrane's case for not scoring enough.

Besides, you're the guy who said that stats from before 2006 aren't relevant to the Dynamo. :rolleyes:

2. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not underestimating Toronto, but even taking out Ching we have a superior team to them. Giving up a goal shouldn't be a decisive one, if it is, we have more problems than we think. Whether Ching starts or not, or whether he plays a half or none at all, we should dominate this game and come out with 3 points. I don't see them scoring more than one so a tie would mean 1-1, or 0-0, which says more about our team then theirs. I just hope he does start, it doesn't wear on him too much, and we start a winning streak.

3. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Ching plays too. I mean, we only have two guys who have scored so far this year, and the other one is Dwayne "I'm in a slump" DeRosario. Why on earth would we sit one of them? Last time we sat Ching out we didn't score and we lost.

4. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys Dichio looks like scoring. We may draw/lose this one that just means that Toronto is hungrier for a win than we are. It doesn't mean we're doomed if we don't come away with 3.

5. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats exactly my point, if Toronto beats it's not because they're better but hungrier. That's why we need to go out their and show our determination and come out with 3. While not getting the 3 points won't doom us, 2 or 3 points could be the difference in home-field advantage in the conference finals, or in getting invited to Superliga next year. I think losing this game will hurt us more than we think. Getting a coupla wins together before facing New England, and then D.C. would definately work to our advantage.

6. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ability of great teams to come away with Ws against the weak teams is always needed. You are never an 'elite' team if you can't take advantage of easy wins. It's true in B-ball, baseball, football, hockey, and even in soccer. If you can't take advantage, then there is something wrong.

We need to win this game, and for honor's sake (and assuming TFC doesn't score this weekend...) we can't give up a goal.

Going out strong and dominating will be important. As was pointed out, Ching and DeRo have all of our goals. Unless one of them hurts themselves, I don't see why you wouldn't put them both out (sub or start...could go either way with Ching, really)

7. Highway 6

Highway 6 New Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Austin
    Ok, you guys are scaring me. Why wouldn't Brian play against TO? Please tell me he hasn't aggravated a prior injury. I just checked around and can't find any story or rumor suggesting that.

If it's just the field turf thing, then I feel much better. TO's turf and Giant Stadiums shit field are nowhere near the same thing. There is no way I prefer it grass, but it is state of the art. FIFA is having the U-20 championship there this year.

8. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree a 100%, we have to win, and hopefully a shut-out. I also think we should be able to win with or w/out Ching in the starting lineup. This game may also allow Ngwenya to play if Ching starts and gets subbed out.

9. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is not hurt, to my knowledge, I just brougt it up do to the field. I agree with you that Toronto's field is much better quality which is why I hope Ching plays, but also wouldn't mind him sitting with New England coming to Houston 3 days later

10. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sighs, I go to fulfill my Civic Duty for a couple of days and we trade a Venezuelan for a Zimbabwe(an?) :mad: I guess that means at least one more guy that is here during the summer when the other's are getting call ups, unless there is an African Nations tournament? I will be downtown at least through tomorrow, so I expect Ronaldinho announcement when I am stuck on I-10 West after 5PM. :D

11. The1Brak

The1Brak Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Houston
    This makes up for us mising a guy or two with dreadlocks.

12. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our team will find their mojos now that we got somebody with dreads.

13. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget Toronto also uses Field Turf. Wouldn't surprise me to see Ching be a sub this next game.

14. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Thanks for bringing this up, I don't think anybody else had mentioned it yet.

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nobius has this thing about always stating the obvious.

'Cuz that way he'll always be "that guy" or something. I forget the exact rationale.

16. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Vicious Lhasa Apso New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    "Kind of like the NY game"? You know how that movie ends, no?

The two games in a week with one on turf situation poses a dilemma. TFC is easier points, and you might want to snatch those up quick, but it's on turf and such. NE is going to be a tougher game, even at home, but it's on grass. My sense is Kinnear will rest some people in Toronto, eg, Ching, and set up his best 11 for the weekend at home, but that strategy, like the NY one, has the risk of coming away with little or nothing, if you blow the points in Canada by starting a weak team and then struggle at home. Or it could be real smart, if we get 6 out of the games. As with so many things, the results will make it appear smart or stupid.

17. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Aug 8, 2006
    Yes, people forget that we had a DDP (designated dreadlock player) roster slot open up when Serioux was drafted away. Under league rules Dom had to fill the spot sometime this season, but he might have had his hand forced a tad earlier than expected by DeRo's abandonment of cornrows, which left us seriouxly lacking on Afro-Caribbean hairstyling. The close-cropped Moreno was never going to fill the slot appropriately, so the trade was inevitable on haircut grounds.

18. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town
    :D you're too much !!:D

19. Arjen_Robben1

Arjen_Robben1 New Member

Dec 26, 2006
    This trade make sense. Ngwenya can get down the flank and put crosses in. But I'd hate to see Moreno go, would they take Dalglish instead?
    IMO, Moreno is under-valued member of dynamo's offence.

20. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    I think I agree with that sentiment... all that aside, however, now that it's a done deal, I think Ngwenya will put some serious hurt on some slow central defenders... I saw him play once at Coastal Carolina against Santa Clara, and he was/is a handful...

Hopefully Dom and Spencer can teach him how to play defense as well...

21. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Just visited the Crew boards and they are quite pleased with Moreno's play today. Mentioned that he links up very well with Barros-Schelloto, whom they really like. I think Moreno will succeed more along side Schelloto as they will be on more of the same wavelenght, both playing a latin style of game. IMHO the Dynamo play the most "british" style of play in MLS and it just did not jive with Moreno's attributes.

22. Zimbabwe_National

Zimbabwe_National New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    appreciate the trade you get a very good player he has plenty of leadership jus the lack of scoring every game when he needs to, i play with him he runs 4.2 -4.4 area the guy has speed but to play in africa you need a lot of speed because those guys run right passed you on the flank where he is more comfortable

23. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Aug 8, 2006
    African Nations = even years. It is also my understanding that while Zimbabwe has shown some interest in Ngwenya, he's never been capped. So, I kinda think you're right; we ditched someone certain to miss a little of this summer for someone who might ... might ... be called up for qualifiers and/or the tournament next year.

24. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Aug 8, 2006
    They did seem happy with it, from what I saw (although, you must understand, they are the most optimistic, deluded bunch in the league). However, they seemed to neglect that the end result was their 4th tie in 6 games, leaving them tied for 7th with a lot of the teams below them having games in hand. And Chivas is hardly dominating the league, we beat them in the middle of our season-starting swoon.

I mean, the comparison I always make in terms of trade impact is the day Drexler showed up for the Rockets. They scored 40 points or so in a quarter, won the game in a run away, and that was the day I thought we'd win a championship. In contrast, the Crew's end game for deploying Schelotto and Moreno was the same they've been getting so far this year without them. Which is better than last year, but that doesn't say too much, considering...

25. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I watched alot of the Cbus Chivas game and Alejandro looked like he fit in with them like a glove. Schelletto(sp?) is going to be a great player to watch in games, he is so instinctive. He made quite a few good shots in half chances that most MLS strikers bungle. He and Alejandro played off one another well.

Just as predicted, Moreno provided alot of hold up possession with his back to the goal and passed well onto on rushing fowards and midfielders. Really Columbus's attack looked more intertaining and dangerous Saturday (granted they were playing Chivas who are looking shaken without Guevarra).

I think Cbus may have gotten what they wanted in Ale; Let's hope that we get what we want out of Ngwenya in this deal.