Trade: Moreno to Crew for Ngwenya

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by anderson, May 8, 2007.

1. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Like Anderson mentioned, he's a forward or offensive mid at times. Since Dalglish has trouble going the full 90 it's good to get somebody to bring in as fresh legs. And also challenge him for the starting spot.

2. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct! I say he and Dalglish will split time until one of them works out, with Wondo being the motivation to do well lest the kid take their rotation. He could also fill in for Mullan when needed (for whatever reason), maybe Davis too, but I dunno about that.

TFC game line up...

---------------Onstad-----------
    Mulrooney--Cochrane----ERo----Wolverine
    ---------------Clark------------
    -------Mullan------------Davis-------
    ---------------DeRo----------
    ------Ching--------------Dalglish----

Subs used: Ngwenya for Dalglish (~65min), Wondo for Ching (~70min), Stuie for Mullan/Clark (~80min)

You heard it here first :p

3. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Vicious Lhasa Apso New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    I think he will be the bench rider - at least sometimes (we'll see how callups go) - that's what I get from "depth", which is how Dom described him. Someone relied on for speed and athleticism might not be reliable for those traits as a 90 minute guy. Sounds like he is an up-top and wing change of pace for us.

4. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting analysis, may be right about that. Wonder if Dalglish needs to go change his underpants? :rolleyes:
    Seriuoxly though, WE saw his play last year and he put a few scares in us in the supporters section, in how he was able to break through our back line and shake off rather easily E.Rob.
    I would say Dalglish has a better reason to worry now,, ;)

5. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he was a forward in college and it seems like Sigi played him on the wings for the most part in MLS. He's pretty much only played Sigi ball as a pro, so it will be interesting to see where Dom lines him up and how he fits in our system. Supersub for Mulls or Davis? Second forward? I don't see him playing in the middle unless both DeRo and Clark are out, considering that Mulrooney would be ahead of Ngwenya on the CM depth chart.

6. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town

Dom starts usually to sub in the 69 th min .... ;)

7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but this is being played on artificial surface and Dalglish is struggling. It is also assuming that we are up 2-3 goals by that point (reasonable). I also have Dalglish struggling and not scoring, but doing ok. With a new guy he'll probably want to test him out. Also, Ching comes out right after that because of the artificial surface.

2-0 Dynamo (DeRo, Ching).

8. zachman

zachman New Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and after trading Moreno ($120,000 this year) away we freed up about 60K after picking up Ngwenya ($60,000 this year)....and if he impresses it's time to sign Daal to nice contract as well

9. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this cat is as fast as everyone says he is, why not convert him to right back?

Don't laugh. It makes good sense the more you think about it.

10. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean like Kelly Gray?

11. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No. Kelly Gray apparently doesn't have the speed this guy has.

12. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I talked with my mate Jesus and he said he won't follow the Dynamo until they get a good Mexican player on their team.

13. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So many directions to go with that. But I'll just say too bad for him.

Also, let's not go flying off into the obvious fanbase threadjack. Let's please keep this thread more-or-less on topic.

14. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

You know Chuy too???

[​IMG]

Chuy is a Dynamo STH, so how can he say that?? :p

p.s.

I will be glad to see Ngwenya on the field. hopefully he will be our savior.

15. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I talked to Jesus and he reminded me to love my neighbor as myself.

16. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Well, no wonder he hasn't been answering my prayers:rolleyes:
    Stop calling him !!

17. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just saying that I'm pretty sure that was part of the reasoning for moving Kelly from F to RB. Just sayin...

18. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gray used to be a Forward? That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

19. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Man I didn't know that.

I guess the guy everyone knows that made that switch is Chris Albright. And he's made a good career out of it as well (even though I don't like him as a USMNT player...)

Good info, thanks.

20. Dynamo and ArsenalFC

Aug 5, 2006
    Beaumont
    Just heard the news, anyone should be better then moreno, his 1v1 w/pachuca's goalie cost us. (Not really but i blame our exit on him)

21. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Vicious Lhasa Apso New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    You wanna see something scary? Wander over to the Crew board and just lurk a little and read the Moreno trade thread. For instance, the trade is regarded as giving the opposing defenders something to think about. Where they will dine post-game, perhaps?

Wikipedia says he had 32 goals in 3 years at U. Portland, and was an all-American playing on offense, as well as a U-23 pick. Pretty impressive.

His pro numbers up front for the Fire, though, remind of a certain new member of the Crew's level of production. A goal every 900 minutes. Which is why he's a defender now, one assumes. :rolleyes:

The wild thing to me is it looks like he actually fouls less as a defender. Don't know how you do that. Most defenders I know practically foul you getting out of bed. :)

22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Wasn't Moreno pretty effective playing in the offensive midfielder position? I remember him playing there when DeRo was injured and many thought he looked better as a midfielder than forward.

23. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really think Dom will start Ching at Toronto, especially with their weak defense? I could see Ching sitting this one out until a) we were down, yeah right, or b) we were tied after the first half, again yeah right. Kind of like the NY game, don"t get me wrong I would like to see him out there to get more goals behind him and let the squad get more confidence with a kill, but we do play New England 3 days later and I think he will try to get some guys some rest.

24. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can seriouxly see him starting. Toronto may be giving up goals left and right but they should not be underestimated. Anyone that does that will give up a goal on them. One reason we were so effective against Colorado is that our defense didn't have much work to do. Our midfield and forwards were keeping the ball in the final 2/3rds of the field and dominating possession. If we can do that, we will be fine against Toronto. Give them the chance, and they might put in a freak goal, much like Colorado did.

Ching is the best forward we have and I can so see him playing, even if only for a half.

25. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007