Trade: Moreno to Crew for Ngwenya

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by anderson, May 8, 2007.

1. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Vicious Lhasa Apso New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Who cares about Ngwenya, I want the Daal dude; 5 goals just since March in the SPL.

2. LJSoccer

LJSoccer Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Lake Jackson TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a big fan of this one, although I understand the point of view of the fox and the hound in this deal. I am afraid that we have given up on a proven player in Moreno, because he is going through a rough patch. Lets face it the the Crew hasn't exactly been an offensive machine. I understand why we are moving Moreno even though I don't agree with it, but why is Sigi willing to give up on a player he has gone out of his way to sign twice. Are we swapping head cases or what? I don't know that this is the case does any one else know? Is Moreno a cancer? Is Ngwenya?
    Also, are we swapping a soccer player for an athlete? I can almost understand that move, even though I don't agree.

3. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    What will be Ngwenya's salary as opposed to Alejandro's?

4. LJSoccer

LJSoccer Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Lake Jackson TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know if there contracts were a mitigating factor? Was this an economic move on the part of one of the teams? Is one team are the other picking up a burdensome contract? Just asking. Who made the first move? Us or them?

5. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know the answer to the second question but Ngwenya is making around $50-$60K and Moreno is making about double that, so it frees up a bunch of space on our cap.

Again, Dom has said, and OL confirmed, that they are looking hard at the MFL this summer. A few names have been tossed around as potentials so, relax a bit on this whole "Latin thing". Personally, I think that it's the dumbest comment to say that we "have to have" a Latin player. We have to have a winning team that can win. Dom is comitted to winning.

You are kidding, right? I hope so anyways.

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Am I crazy or did this trade (or another one that involved Moreno to Columbus) almost happen last year?

Overall I like this trade, Moreno did really well coming off the bench for us but I think we're better off having a true speedy forward that can be paired up with Ching or come off the bench for some extra fire power.

7. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I liked Moreno, he was a team player and I never heard him complain about not starting or anything like that.

[​IMG]

Adios Ale, y suerte en donde sea que estes.

8. mabeuf

mabeuf Member

Jul 22, 2006
    West
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This gets rid of our scapegoat. On the boards there has been few a better pasttime than ridiculing Moreno's inability to score goals when we need them.

9. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Don't worry, we've still got Kelly Gray.

Here's a nice goal by Ngwenya against New York last year. It shows his speed and a decent amount of ball control, unfortunately he didn't play like this all of the time.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=jbuvRjM6_dY

10. Mastercody

Mastercody New Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Friendswood, Tx.
    Oh dont get me started on Kelly Gray....but on the other hand i do like this trade...

11. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Aug 8, 2006
    Neither of the two have scored a lick this season, so we're not getting a guaranteed scorer at their expense. Ngwenya, one assumes because he was faster, had more goals last year, but Moreno had more assists and might be a better holding/connecting player. Which to me sounds like a wash. We get speed (with some sloppiness), they get a holding forward, neither of us gets Jeff Cunningham in the deal (although I think a fast player for the wings and frontline would be a good add for situation subs and if we need depth during callup season).

I think it's a cap room trade. The Mulrooney deal put them so close to the cap that any further moves require moving salary. Moreno makes $120K-ish, Ngwenya $51K base/$62K overall. That's $60-70K added wiggle room. If the Daal guy is signing, or some other player is to be traded for or signed, we might have needed to make some room. That's why I was saying the Mulrooney deal signalled further changes in the team; he put us so close to the cap that if we felt like doing anything else it would involve transferring, trading, or releasing someone the fans liked. And if we are going to win this year I don't think we can stand pat.

12. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I like the kid from Zimbabwe. I can't recall if I've seen him play or not, but if the same young player I have in my mind, he's pretty good. I just wish I could pronounce his name:p
    That Daal guy is Danish? or is he from Holland?:confused:

13. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town
    Ngwenya had trials for the Hamburger SV, but they had a full quota of non Europe players .

Juergen Klinsmann organized that trial , so we will get a good player !!!

14. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I moved the Daal comments into the thread on his trial.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Ngwenya hasn't scored any goals this season but with Houston's midfield and Brian Ching, he should have no problems. His touch improved markedly last season and he looked downright confidant on the ball. Mulrooney's move to right back and the addition of Ngwenya should take Houston to the top of the league.

16. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully he'll help our speed, that was something that was obviously lacking when we played Pachuca, and something that makes Pachuca fun to watch.

17. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly...or at least opportunities. Columbus' midfield seems to have improved but nonetheless, he comes into a team with a superstar target forward that he can play off of, an attacking mid that can create his own shot as well as shots for others, and two wingers that are among the best pair in MLS in providing quality service to forwards.

18. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is nothing but a "change of scenery" trade for both players.

Columbus certainly wouldn't have traded this guy for Moreno straight up if he was that much more productive.

I'm guessing that this was done for a variety of reasons but mainly to see if Dom couldn't get this guy to thrive in our system.

Good luck to Moreno and his future MLS career. One thing's for sure. Moreno never, ever, mailed it in when he was on the field. He always gave it his best.

As a supporter, that's all you can ever really ask for.

19. Vicious Lhasa Apso

Aug 8, 2006
    I'll give you that, although, to be fair, there's scarcely a person on the roster who phones it in. I don't think Dom has it any other way; we'd never have a Guevara come in here.

I feel like he peaked at a key time last year and helped us win in the playoffs.

20. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the press release, with some more info/quotes:

21. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    “At the same time, we are excited about bringing Joseph in, as we feel he will add a great dose of danger, athleticism, and depth to our offense.”
    Dynamo head coach Dominic Kinnear.

Maybe this is what was missing from Ledfeet Moreno :confused:

22. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which begs the question in my mind........
    Who will be riding the bench while Ngwenya is out there?? Who will be sacrficed?:eek:
    Moreno was an obvious forward and N_Gee is a DM. What do you think, Jason?:confused:

23. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe he's a DM - IIRC, he's usually played forward or on the wing in a mostly attacking capacity.

24. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But isn't he perfect right behind or along side of De-Ro?
    That would make him, a middie/forward. Kinda like Clark.?????:confused:
    And you didn't answer the Q about who will be riding the Bench when he plays??

25. calderone01

calderone01 Member

Dec 21, 2005
    Pickerington, OH
    Can't imagine Ngwenya as D-mid on a regular basis in MLS. That being said FYI he did also have a trial in Spain this offseason for Getafe and several of us were surprised to see them using him at D-mid for whatever reason. So it isn't that far fetched.