trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Probably not. He's barely played the last few years. Meanwhile, Salinas has been pretty productive - 7 assists last year in only 1100 or so minutes, and 3 this year in 300-something. With Salinas it's always going to be about the quantity (of effort) over quality, but the sum total is not too bad.

2. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm confusing him for his brother. I want Sly Stallone, not Frank Stallone.

3. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I want Sly and the Family Stone :--). Yeah, seems like there are too many Nyassi's, and it's hard to keep track of which one is which.

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nyet on Nyassi.

5. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And our former LB\LM Convey is now traded to Toronto for a 3rd round pick. THE SKC fans don't seem to mind.

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    poor TFC, always gets our trash

7. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Can't miss a guy who hardly played.

8. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe we can get convey back from TFC after he fails there too. And then when he's back with us well turn him into a decent/good player.....Cronin, Gordon, attakora, harden, gargan.

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Looks like Convey is about a $200k player now, so it also frees up a nice chunk of space under the cap for KC. A similar player for the Quakes would be Jason Hernandez, who is at about the same salary level, and provides about the same amount of equity (often injured, and not that good when he's playing anyway). In fact I think a motivated Convey would be a better value at $200k than Hernandez. But there's too much baggage with Convey in SJ. Wouldn't want him back. If nothing else, Hernandez always has a good attitude and is a good team guy.

10. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was this a cap-necessitated trade? did they need to move convey to get under the cap with the return of Kamara from loan at Norwich?

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I was thinking about that - could be.

12. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he signed a new 4 year deal when he was traded to KC right? he still has like 2.5 years left on it? TFC better be sure he will start for them b/c they are locking in to starter wages for that time period... I assume he is on a guaranteed contract that is non-waivable.

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    article on MLS.com about Diego Forlan wanting to play in MLS :eek: shut up and take my money!

(insert blurb about over the hill here)

14. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im surprised SKC were able to get anything for him, i guess theres always TFC as a patsy.....

16. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember when the yallop-haters tried to blame FY for the problems we had with Convey back in 2011 that led to us trading him to SKC? :ROFLMAO:

QuietType I'm looking at you! https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...y-convey-thread.1428340/page-22#post-25036551

Convey can't play attacking mid very well anymore with how much of his legs he has lost... it's time he moves to LB. I think he can be an effective LB in this league. But he seems to have ego problems preventing him from ever accepting such a role.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is likely his last stop in MLS, so he better make it count. Its one more than i thought he would get to be honest

and i also think TFC got him for just that, as a left back. thats all hes gonna play if he wants any playing time

18. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry to see Bobby struggle in 4-3-3. Bobby isn't an attacker LW or a central midfielder in 4-3-3 but Peter seemed to have given him an ample chance to redefine his game. Unfortunately, Sporting KC is loaded with a bunch of younger attacking talent. Better to move Bobby so he can earn PT with another team than sit on the pine.

QuietType repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I never saw this.I bet they would use Sercan more this year. Guess he was earning a lot though.

20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I guess he just didn't fit into someone's program.

21. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Convey wasn't given the opportunity to excel here because of Yallop. I still stand behind that. Convey has been hurt and hasn't had playing time behind KC's stacked midfield. He's a good player, but he's getting old now too.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Truth comes out again but who knew?

& Sercan made $103k for playing 5 games.....

I don't think he would be in too many MLS teams plans either.

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    29? In what universe is that getting "old"? He started young though, so that's a lot of years of professional soccer. But Corrales did too, and he's some 8 years older.

Maybe it's a case of the league sort of catching up to him while he wasn't getting any better, just a little older and a little slower. Still owns possibly the greatest performance in Quakes playoff history.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A lot of older players get better with experience but they don't really rely on speed but rather skill and vision. Only true champions or maybe current and former national team players can really play beyond the age of 30 but BC was never a truly great player.

25. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Getting" was the key word.. A guy like Convey relied a lot on quickness and bursts of speed. Harder for him to be the same type of player. We'll see what he does in Toronto, but he's walking into a mash up.