trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Idk we were stupid enough to take Monteiro and Mensahs

chris thebassplayer repped this.
  2. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benji would have to go to Seattle.
    Musovski is therr first man off the bench and has a goal and assist

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I was actually going to write “no MLS club is dumb enough to take on his salary except us” but we’re already doing it. We could be dumb enough to re-sign him in 2025 though.

Boysinblue, xbhaskarx and Kaitlyn repped this.
  4. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Did he play again for anyone after that game?

5. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never professionally again.

No Brazilian club or Mexican xlub wanted to payout and buy his unfufilled MLS contract. He had 2 more years with the Quakes to go and begged for his release when Yallop didnt start him vs the Wizards the next game.

He also went home to help his dads business as well.

He only played 3 or 4 games for us, even with an injured Ching.

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    IIRC he had a weird relationship with professional soccer. Don't know if it's true but the story was that his dad sent him to college in the US on the condition that he not become a professional soccer play. So what did he do a few years later? Became a professional soccer player. You can take the boy out of Brazil but you can't take the Brazil out... Maybe his dad laid down the law when he got back to Brazil. :)

7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buy out Gruezo's contract
    Acquire Reynoso who is MIA from Minnesota United
    Acquire Cucho who was suspended by the Columbus Crew

Easy :cool:

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Sounds very similar to what Mensah said after getting suspended by the Quakes. Oh wait no one ever asked him and he never said anything about it.

9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that you are suggesting, but does anyone think Seattle would pull this trade?

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminder that the transfer window is still open through April 25, as Chris Leitch makes no moves despite the Quakes being in 29th place with only 3 points from 8 games....

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Are they gonna pay a $3M transfer and a $1.7M salary for their Ecuadorian d-mid?

12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better question: Knowing nothing about their Ecuadorian d-mid, would you still trade him straight up for ours?

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yes.

14. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I would do if I was the head coach of the Quakes right now.
    Yarbrough
    Akapo, Wilson, Munie, Costa
    Rodriguez
    Espinoza, Ebobisse, Marie
    Judd, Pellegrino
    It would allows us to maximize the individual talents of players and hide the weakness' of the others. I would also play a wide game, and allow players like Espinoza and Marie to cut in similar to how Mullan, Russell, Davis, Chung did for San Jose in 2005 which allowed De Rosario to run free with Clark behind him, and it freed up space up top for Cerritos, Ching, Moreno and Nash.

On paper the team is very similar to the 05 Quakes-2007 Dynamo than people realize so it's why I'm not on the lynch mob for anyone this year other than Rodriguez.

I would use a rotation depending on matchup of Pellegrino, Kikanovic, Judd, and Thompson up top.

I'll explain Thompson, he plays like Ale Moreno. He's slow, but doesn't get knocked off the ball, he can make a good cutting pass or drifted pass like he did for 2 years to Cerritos and Ching who had great success. Thompson excels against teams like LAFC, Galaxy, Houston and Seattle because he can press their defenses who sit in and absorb the attack, he looks like a damn fool against teams that play a high defense and press.

You could also go for broke, and let the team go through growing pains which is a lot more acceptable from the course work I'm learning.

Bieganski
    Verhoeven, Wilson, Munie, Ricketts
    Player, Tsakiris, Player
    Espinoza, Yueill, Player

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #10340 JazzyJ, Apr 20, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    Yep, I'm good with a lot of that. I had suggested moving Rodrigues to the midfield a few weeks ago with my "outside the box" Quakes lineup. He's faster, stronger on the ball, and way better with his feet than Gruezo and Moreno. I also like getting Pellegrino off of the edge and in front of goal where he can be more useful. Only change I'd make is to remove one forward and bring in Yueill to play with Rodrigues.

As for TT, I don't know how relevant he is at this point. I noticed yesterday that he's not even on the senior roster anymore. Insult of insults, they moved him to Supplemental Roster! As I've said, he's a guy that can play a lot of positions but is not really well-suited to any of them. But if he's there on the bench - and he has been there in every game I think, might as well try to use him. Probably the best spot for him is in some kind of free attacking role. He's good for breaking down defenses because he actually makes runs into little pockets of space. It flew under the radar but Matias used him that way 2 or 3 times in early 2022, and he looked pretty good in that role. He is pretty well miscast as a wide defender or attacker.

Anyway, if Luchi is not going to get help with the roster, he's gotta try to get creative with it, so I like what you're suggesting. There was a game last year where we were missing a bunch of players and we were playing LAFC in LA. I thought we'd get hammered. Luchi went to a 3-5-2, and played Trauco in midfield(!) and I think moved Espinoza to forward. We wound up tying 1-1 and played one of our best games of the year given the circumstances.

16. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

xbhaskarx and Goodsport repped this.
  17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fleming is a 25 year old Dutch attacking midfielder who plays for English Championship side Millwall FC. He wears the number 10 and has 22 goals in 80 games. He came up through the Ajax youth system.

18. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last summer Millwall put a 15 million euro price tag on him, with interest from Burnley, Roma, Lazio, and Sevilla. Millwall paid 1.7 million pounds for him in the summer of 2022. Lots of positive talk about him. Some comparisons to Dennis Bergkamp. Adapted quickly to the English game.

19. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transfermarkt puts a 4.2 million euro valuation on him.

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Translation:

San José Earthquakes is interested in former Fortunee Zian Flemming. The American transfer window is open, which means Flemming could possibly make the switch in the short term. Fortuna has a sell-through percentage on Zian Flemming​

haha

"San Jose has a very mediocre team this year. They hardly get to play nice football because of the exodus. I can't imagine that Flemming would want this from a sporting point of view."

"From this Quakes fan, thank you for calling us mediocre. That is beyond kind."

Boysinblue repped this.
  21. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monteiro, Cowell, Nathan, Mensah, Trauco...

I'm guessing, no idea what else it could possibly mean

23. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, unless he just wants to come to California for some reason, don’t see why he would have any interest in the Quakes. His contract with Millwall ends June 30th. Made $967,000 in salary this season.

24. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like normal team turnover?

JazzyJ, Boysinblue and xbhaskarx repped this.
  25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Right? And it's not like we didn't bring any players in.