trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Get real - none of them ever approached the 17 goals Jebo scored for us last season. Lenny and Lozzano's had ten each during their best seasons for the Quakes and Conteh eight - albeit Conteh was playing on an awful 97 Clash team to be fair. Perhaps as bad as the 2022 Quakes!

2. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Espinoza needs to be converted to an attacking wingback if there are other youthful attacking options that can score more goals ;)

3. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo! Just joining the thread.

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Left back. It's the answer - always! :)

5. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No but Jebo also had more games to accomplish that task, and Lozzano also had about as may assists as goals. He was a lot more productive.

Eboboisse also was our ONLY guy scoring, Lozzano wasn't our point man, like Jebo. He had to share with Wynalda, Cerritos and Baicher that season in 1997. Lenhart had to spread the wealth with Alan Gordon, Chris Wondolowski and Simon Dawkins. Conteh shared with Doyle...

6. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny;) remember Bobby Convey? I think he was our best left fullback since SJE 2008.

7. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Gruezo

2. [​IMG]

Kaitlyn repped this.
  9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He was good there. We haven't had many real good ones. I was never too sold on Marcos Lopez although he was not bad. We should have held onto Justin Morrow. Jordan Stewart was not bad.

nihon2000 repped this.
  10. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We dont have that guy yet so how can you even count him.

11. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wade Barrett is the best Left Back we've ever had. Pickens are very very slim after him, Justin Morrow, Ramiro Corrales and Tayt Ianni

Rafael Amaya, Mike Burns, Kip Colvey, Tim Martin, Eric Denton, Adam Frye, Mike Zaher, Jed Zayner. Zaher probably could have been better if he got a chance. I know @markmcf8 rated the guy high. I did as well, but he didn't have a chance in hell behind Morrow and Corrales at the time at that position.

I didn't include Todd Dunivant and Kevin Goldthwaite they were gone before they got off running. Both had good MLS careers. Dunivant won some cups and Goldthwaite was captain of New York Red Bull for 2 seasons, and had a couple National Team January Call Ups.

Marcos Lopez wasn't terrible, but not great either.

nihon2000 repped this.
  12. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Nice memory. I used to collect baseball cards in my youth. I used to memorize player personal info & stats really well. Those (memory) days are long gone.

markmcf8 and Kaitlyn repped this.
  13. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From a Greek sports journalist.
    looks like Quakes will have Benji till the summer at least.

markmcf8 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  14. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Are we sure that is not the Greek Rankel or Rankel himself?

If Benji continues to be productive in the next few months, then AEK may not be his only choice.

markmcf8, QuakeAttack and JazzyJ repped this.
  15. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We better be very careful... we are approaching danger to lose Kikanovic for no return if we don't sell him before his contract expires.

markmcf8, xbhaskarx and bostero24 repped this.
  16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Giannis Rankelopoulos

17. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He has club options through 2024, so nobody else can sign him unless they decline the option, right? If they can't strike a deal this year for him, they'll just pick up his option and try again the following year, or sign him to a longer term contract like they've done with other players.

18. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but some players can negotiate to have their options declined unless they have an automatic trigger in their deals. Jozy Altidore pulled that move with TFC which is how he ended up with the Revolution last year.

Chances of that unlikely. It's a sellers market. You must take the gamble. You could trigger his option, he gets hurt then he's ********ed... or you can sell when an offer comes in for what you think is maximum your satisfied with and collect the dividends. Knowing this team... we probably sell him this summer.

It's not too common in the MLS (yet), as it is other sports, players can hold out as well until they're traded or sold.

19. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like LAFC fans aren't happy Arango is being sold. Comments are interesting too. They don't have a number 9 on the roster. But they're probably going to sign someone.

If you open the full tweet it will have the graph and depth chart image.

Some of the comments.

Boysinblue and xbhaskarx repped this.
  20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay Leitch now go buy Opoku from them...

markmcf8 and Kaitlyn repped this.
  21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    MLS has a lot of leverage over players. Altidore already had many, many years in the league, so he had a lot more leverage in his contract negotiations. I would venture to guess there is nothing Kikanovic can do about his option. It's all up to the Quakes.

If he's not sold this summer, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Quakes give him another multi year contract like they've done many times...unless Kikanovic has a great start to the year and suddenly can demand more money than they're willing to pay.

But, given that he and Cowell are already sharing time at that position, it might be hard for Kikanovic to prove his value. The Quakes could easily take time away from him either because Cowell is the better performer or, more cynically, because they want to keep Kikanovic's price down to re-sign him.

In our hellscape world, everything is a speculation market, and Cowell is obviously the player potentially worth more money. I could definitely see a scenario where Kikanovic is clearly outperforming Cowell but not getting the time because the Quakes expect to sell Cowell for far more money.

It's a weird balance where you need the players you want to sell to play well, but you also need them to not be so good that they become "too expensive" to keep on. There are conflicting incentives between winning games and propping up players for sale that the league currently has to navigate.

I think just playing your best players and not worrying about that stuff too intensely will have things work out in your favor often enough, but this is a Fisher team we're talking about, and manipulation is the name of the game.

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    So far it hasn't been proven that FIFA will enforce "options". It was a big story when Orlando City lost Cyle Larin when he still had an "option" in his contract. Orlando wanted to exercise that option but Cyle took the red-eye to Turkey. It wasn't clear what FIFA was going to do about it at that time. Neither Orlando or the Turkish club (forget which one) wanted to test FIFA so what ended up happening is the Turkish club gave Orlando a low ball fee and Orlando took it.

That is to say if Benji really wants to go to Greece when his contract is up he can likely do the same thing and Greece will likely offer the Quakes a bit of money to avoid FIFA making a decision on the matter (which could go either way).

23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Poor babies. Must be tough to support a team that is so poor at signing players...

24. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Perhaps. There is 0 reason why FIFA should have anything to do with player contracts, so it's gross that they were even involved.

That isn't to say I like that teams have options on players, either. I think keeping exclusivity on a player without having to actually commit to them is extremely scummy and an obviously ploy to drive down the price of players.

I would think US labor law would take precedent over anything FIFA tried to do, though. I suppose this has never gone to court, though, either, given that info.

25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Hah, that's what I was thinking. Man, they have it rough!