trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Beita and Morrow were essential to Toronto’s only title team.

xbhaskarx and bsman repped this.
  2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they announce Covelo as the permanent head coach, I might not renew.

Beckham7 repped this.
  3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying Covelo would be my first choice for coach, but, considering he is performing above the playoff line, hardly a reason not to renew.
    Let me guess, you would be thrilled if Landycakes was hired?

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm still on a wait-and-see with Covelo. He's only had 12 MLS games. But objectively, under Covelo, so far, the Quakes PPG would be good enough to put them in 3rd place in the west right now. And that's with 2 home games "in hand" (5 home, 7 road). And that's with a roster that many claimed no one could win with.

So why the Covelo hate? He talks too much on the sidelines? He's not a "big name"? Hair is too gray? Style of play? Seems like Quakes are playing pretty good soccer on balance.

5. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We didn't renew last season and it's easily one of the best decisions we made. I can actually enjoy the Quakes now because I pay attention to them when I want to. It's no longer an obligation.

I miss seeing games live but the cost was just not worth the return. And I can still go to a game if I feel like it. It's not like tickets are in high demand most of the time.

QuakeAttack repped this.
  6. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    Shaq Moore to Nashville. I'm a little disappointed. Marie's defensive failings are now like a dripping faucet for me -- once you hear it a little bit it's all you can hear. $2 million transfer fee does seem a little hefty.

Sactown Soccer and Beckham7 repped this.
  7. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Quakes had a different owner who spent more money I wouldn't mind buying shaq moore for 2 million. But with Stingy fisher, Quakes need to be careful and not be wasteful.

8. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not even close to Roberto Carlos level.... and not worth anywhere near 2M. If we spend 1.5M to 2M on a quality CB, I'd be happy.

Earthshaker repped this.
  9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. The funny thing is have only thought maybe one or two time of going this year and never seriously.

I think the biggest reason is that we have lost the connection to the players. Other than JT who is involved with Special Olympics, I don't feel any connection to any of the players other than Shea. Obviously, COVID has been a factor, but the team's commitment to community plays a big factor.

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Covid has definitely been a factor.

With the money you saved on season tickets, you might consider attending the Quakes Wine & Dine in September. Charitable purpose, and you get to interact with the players in a real-life setting (as opposed to queueing for autographs).

At the last Wine & Dine (2019, pre-Covid) , Shea introduced me to Matias and translated our conversation. Priceless.

JazzyJ repped this.
  11. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Don. We used to attend every year prior to COVID (used to see you at the events). Loved those events and good causes. My wife has "won" auctions at the events which has included signed Wondo framed posters, couple of signed player cleats (backup GK behind Onstad?), and most prized a signed ticket (from all goal scorers) from the 2003 Quakes vs LAG at Spartan (which will forever be the best game that I have attended which had included a WC Final for both men's and women's and MLS Cup 2003).

don gagliardi repped this.
  12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Shea speaks Spanish well enough to translate?

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I have no way of knowing. Matias smiled throughout, so at least we avoided an international incident. :)

SoccerIsOurLife and JazzyJ repped this.
  14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    How about this guy @JazzyJ for a back up 9?

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Not really the aerial presence I had in mind, but would take. Quick and strong and hits a heavy ball. But we don't have a "quality CB" that we'd want to trade :). Nathan is quality but we'd better not trade him!

I don't know how we are with GAM at this point.

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Trade Gregus and some GAM. He’s tall, right? ;)

If the Quakes were to hire Ian Russell and he switched to his preferred 4-4-2 than Ayo and Jebo could crush it.

Sactown Soccer and JazzyJ repped this.
  17. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We should be able to trade Remedi and Gregus...they would help some teams and wouldn't break the bank...Yueill could play the Gregus role...Judson plays the 6...Skahan is ready for more minutes...at least to sub in.

I'm in the minority, but I don't think the team is crazy thin. We have a good number of very solid players. We're starting to mix up our attack better with more direct play, which cuts way down on the midfield turnovers that killed this team. Imo, we have a few players on the verge of breaking out...they just need the playing time to get accustomed to the speed of play and settle down.

I wouldn't break the bank on a high priced DP...up top or at CB.. We could use some solid less expensive depth though.

Another solid CB would be good, as well as a proactive attacker. Montiero is okay...it would be nice to have some quality competition for him at the attacking mid position...I think Agren will come through for us fairly quickly....

Up top, Akinola is a solid potential trade option, but I'd rather have Benji or Cade with Jebo if we went 4-4-2.

I think we're on the verge of playing some fairly solid ball with the existing team...give the younger guys a chance to break through with sustained playing time. I think we'd be pleasantly surprised how well we do.

18. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Vancouver was a rumored destination for Ayo but they just spent a chunk of GAM on Gressel.

Looks like Rooney is remaking DC. Any trades we can interest him in?

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Too bad we already moved Calvo. Wayne, how would you like a CB with good feet, who is also dangerous in the air? :sneaky:

20. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the SSV dinner, Shea said that he speaks Spanish (one of his parents is Mexican, I can’t recall exactly). But he said he had trouble understanding the Hondurans’ Spanish, which was so fast (Marvin Chavez and Bernardez).

JazzyJ repped this.
  21. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like LD too much to see him coach the Quakes. I wouldn’t wish the job on anyone as long as Fisher is the owner. Would just be a waste of a coach’s time and energy. If he had the opportunity, LD really ought to coach the Galaxy, i can’t imagine LD has that many good memories of SJ compared to LAG…

22. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Yallop play a 4-4-2? I vaguely remember half this board screaming about an old system and Yallop being out of touch.

On a side note, was Ayo the player who had the sloppy clearance which led to the Quakes tying the game against Toronto?

I'm fine with trading Gregus, but don't expect to get much...

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Speaking of Grey Goose, curious that he was on the bench but didn't play. That's a bit unusual. I wonder if he's about to get traded.

24. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ian played a diamond.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  25. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To quote Moss (Ed Harris) from GlenGarry Glen Ross, the rich get richer that's the law of the land