trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    See that's the thing. People like that came to the games, and then never came back. I went to the game in Oakland. One of the worst experiences of my life. Huge lines - I think we got in somewhere close to halftime, and we got killed.

2. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    For every "beckham" you get a gerard or pirlo.

3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Lothar Matthäus and Rafael Marquez were the most disappointing to me.

Bastian Schweinsteiger was worth his money though....

4. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Even though Pirlo couldn't run enough to keep up in MLS, I did enjoy watching him thread some long passes to the forwards, mainly Villa.

I'd love to see Messi play a few games in MLS, preferably for the Quakes :).

don gagliardi repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've followed Andrea Pirlo closely, even on a weekly basis when he was with Brescia, Inter, Reggina again at Brescia then Milan and finally at Juventus.

He wouldn’t run much but he didn't need to as the others were playing their positions so he could pass a ball like no other and his vision was incredible. He also used to be very good defensively especially when he was paired with Rino Gattuso in midfield.

Problem with Pirlo was he was never a runner and MLS is a running league. I knew from the outset his passes and/or technique wouldn’t work in this league. I saw it in his first game, 3-4 weeks after coming from Italy. It’s no wonder Shea Salinas left him on the ground at Avaya…

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #7231 JazzyJ, Aug 10, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    His passing was still at times sublime in MLS, but you're right - MLS is a running league and he's not a runner. I guess he's lucky that NYFC played on a futsal field. And that's the "non-linearity" of MLS - that, at least on a given day, Shea Salinas can outplay Pirlo. MLS GM's need to understand that.

7. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    On the flip side, my entire family and extended family(from Europe no less) attended the 2012 game vs la at Stanford stadium, and everyone walked away agreeing that it was one of the best sporting experiences of their lives

jnldaddy and Quakes05 repped this.
  8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    That was a great night, but I think we've had several great classico games at Stanford. It's the whole experience - the big crowd, the stadium, the fireworks, the paragliders, the halftime stuff, and of course a Quakes comeback win. To me, Becks was just a sidenote in that game, so much so that he resorted to trying to fight Q at the end of the game. :)

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #7235 falvo, Aug 10, 2021
    Beckham was a good signing for the league in getting the stars to come over. He also helped with getting the crowds out and that was a positive. His signing also helped put the league ion n nternationall level.

The rules that were changed , made up or whatever they did to have him come here were not fair at all. It was a typical AEG -LAG-Garber crooked signing.

Judging him strictly as a player, in my opinion he was way overhyped , overrated and overpaid. With the money they paid him back in 2007, they could have funded and/or built 2-3 teams and stadiums.

10. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    DCBD3943-6641-488A-A635-B856E9D847D8.jpeg
    Over hyped? :)

He played his best football for Manchester United imo.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #7237 falvo, Aug 10, 2021
    I saw Beckham at Real Madrid in his late 20's He was good but nothing special. He also had a team full of superstars. When you play with Iker Casillas , a younger Sergio Ramos, Zidane, Ronaldo, Cassano , Raúl Bravo , Robinho, Raul and Roberto Carlos , any decent player will look good.

I did see him in Milan for the few games that he played in on loan from the Galaxy and he looked good there but he also had an all star cast surrounding him.

Fabio Capello said if he wanted to play for England he had to play in Europe and that is why he went. Going there though hurt the Gals and the league as he got injured and played in only 18 games in 2 years for LA so it was neither a smart or good decision.

12. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will always remember That game in Oakland because we had field seats, and we sat right behind Beck

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, that's how memorable it was for me. Didn't remember that. Besides that he was largely a non-factor. I do remember Lenny's chinups on the goalposts though, and Wondo's goal and salute to the troops. And Sam Cronin's goal.

Also, I remember thinking, in that game, Simon Dawkins was the best player on the field. Beckham was 7th or 8th, at best..

Quakes05 repped this.
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Boysinblue and Quakes05 repped this.
  15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It was memorable.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    And watch the end of this to see Beck's complete meltdown at the end of the game (wah! he didn't win!!), to the extent that he wanted to fight Q. IIRC there were reports he was flipping off fans on his way out in the bus. Class!!

17. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Busch was way out of position on that one, didn’t even move. It was a well placed shot though not doubt.

That was also the game when he lost his cool and lobbed a ball in from distance towards Cronin who was down at the time...

...the whole falling apart and losing after being up 3-1 really got to him. :D

JazzyJ repped this.
  18. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Never saw him so rattled. Still makes me laugh just thinking about it all these years later. :D

JazzyJ repped this.
  19. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was he there to see Beckham as well?
    [​IMG]

20. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    I saw him flip off the fans from the bus as they were leaving. A totally class(less) guy.

JazzyJ repped this.
  21. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    There was a story that he invited David Bingham to meet him in the parking lot by the busses after the game.

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He probably didn't know that Bings is a gun enthusiast :)

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that the game that later inspired this thread (the picture there was of Q and David Beckham shaking hands pregame)? :confused:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

24. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The app wa going crazy on my iPad, backspacing over everything as i typed! So I didn’t finish my post but figured no one would notice :eek:

bsman repped this.