trade & free agency ideas

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Mar 10, 2013.

1. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    I think he is gone. They have made him the Captain for several games and I think that was done to see if his game steps up, which is has not. He is at max level right now and still is not a major producer. I say drop TT into his spot, or Espinoza and move TT to the edge.

xbhaskarx, OWN(yewu)ED, podrinje and 2 others repped this.
  2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe he can take Vako and Rios with him?

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would be the ideal situation IMO.

mjlee22 repped this.
  4. elhula

elhula Member

Apr 18, 2007
    san jose
    I understand the criticism of Eriksson , but to me in this tournament his work rate and distribution of the ball has been good, and he seems to be a player who fights for this team with everything he has. I would ship off a couple of other players if possible before Eriksson.

5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, finally when I start to believe in Eriksson, he leaves. :(

6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Stahre era I was a big critic of Eriksson, but, under Almeyda he has earned my grudging admiration. He lacks many of the qualities that I would like in a #10 for us, but, he definitely defines the blue collar never say die work ethic that we like to identify with the Quakes. He plays hard for the team every minute he is on the field and that has obviously earned Almeyda's respect.

xbhaskarx, mjlee22, nivla and 3 others repped this.
  7. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we get better than Magnus for what we are paying? If not, flight to keep him.

But I think we all know the real answer to that.

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Move on from the Magnus era please. Start Fuentes there and push to get a lead. Bring in Tommy off the bench for better defense when the Quakes get ahead.

podrinje and bsman repped this.
  9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]

10. podrinje

podrinje Member+

Borussia Dortmund
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 10, 2013
    Bay Area!
    Club:
    Alemannia Aachen
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Yes, I would definitely try to play a combo of Fuentes and TT at ACM while Marie/Lopez/Lima can rotate at FB

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  11. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we know whether Fuentes is in Florida with the team?

12. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing he is not since due to his "at home" injury back in May. Did not see him listed on the Reno roster against Sac a few days ago...

Gilbert Fuentes, the 18-year-old San Jose Earthquakes midfielder, required surgery after fracturing his clavicle in an accident at home.

Fuentes underwent surgery performed by Dr. Richard Gayle on Thursday at Sutter Health and is expected to be sidelined 2-3 months. The Earthquakes are the only MLS club who have been unable to start individual workouts.

13. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I think Tanner Beason can also play left back if needed. Jacob Akanyirige played right back in Reno last year so he might be in the mix as well.

14. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I admire how hard Eriksson works. He's giving us everything he has, but it isn't good enough for that role. That role needs a legit DP impact player who can create his own shot and also buy into the defensive responsibility Almeyda requires.

Probably way early but I'd love to see what Skahan can bring to that position. Give him a look for a couple games. I don't think Almeyda would want to move Tommy from RB to fill in at that position.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Magnus improved a lot but I agree, we need more. At least he scores somewhat though and as much as I like Cristian Espinoza, he needs to start scoring goals to take this team to the next level.

I mean a forward who keeps hitting the post, almost scores or whatever, is just not good enough in today's game.

16. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pirlo just cut Argentinian Gonzalo Higuain from Juventus. The guy has scored 250 goals for club in his career. Should be available on a free. Like Almeyda, he started his career at River Plate. Make it happen!!

17. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    mob please!

18. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should trade for Joe Bendik to be our goalkeeper. If not Tyler Deric or Chris Konopka could be a good veteran pickup with MLS experience and some success..

Plus who wouldn't want a bad ass on the team with a beard and chugs beers with fans after the game?!

19. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really wish we could steal Caleb Stanko away from Cincinnati. He reminds me a lot of Richard Mulrooney.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats the sort of simple trade we should absolutely be pursuing. The lack of movement to fill out our bench has been frustrating to say the least

21. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, there's such good talent wasting away on the benches in MLS. We used to go take scrubs from LA and turn them into very good starting players or champions. Ching, Mullan, Waibel, Ibsen, Aloisi, Califf, and Moreno.

I hope we are active in free agency this winter, there's about 40 players available this off season. Beitashour is avalible right now even.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  22. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS was a lot smaller back then so you had a greater concentration of talent. And so what if Beitashour is available? Do we really need an aging, slowing, right back added to our roster? And since he is available, I guess no one else feels the need for one either. It's great to reminisce about the good old days, but, I wouldn't necessarily look back to see how things used to be done as the answer to roster building today.

23. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. However, we do need to do more and there are MLS players who could help the team. However, the problem is getting all the parts right. We don't just need 2-3 players, we need 5-6 players.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  24. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure we do, all age complaint bets are off when we are allowing a 38 year old man to be our main striker and our best offensive player.

25. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is not our main striker, he has only started 3 games. Andy Rios has well more than twice the minutes.
    And he is our leading scorer only because Eriksson is gone, who would have taken the pk's Wondo has.

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.