News: Trade and Acquisition Rumors - Links and Highlights

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by ImissTHEheat, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    Re: Trade and Accquisition Rumors - Links and Highlights

ruiz is playing in mexico now..

saw him a month ago, he flopped, ref just looked at him and waved get upp...

should have given him a yellow

2. BabyBlues

BabyBlues New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

How about acquiring somebody like Hossam Mido. He has been pretty lame so far for West Ham. He makes $1,600 a week and I think he could be pretty effective in MLS.

He is a love/hate type of player but I think he would be a good option. He fights pretty hard as well and he's only 27.

3. Phillysoccer92

Phillysoccer92 New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm an avid West Ham fan and i would say Mido would be an awful signing. He is not fit, and although he tracks back well he doesnt get forward. Plus the only reason he is on such a cheap contract is to prove himself in the premier league. I doubt he would come to the MLS on the same contract.

4. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Welcome to the boards!

5. BabyBlues

BabyBlues New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

Yeah Mido's ego is probably too large to play here. He would never fit with Piotr. However, signing this quality of player is probably the top end of what MLS can realistically achieve like JPA. Definitely not thought through on my part, but he is somewhat enigmatic and can display incredible ability at times.

Mido has been at West Ham for 3 months. Take it easy killer.

6. Blind3

Blind3 New Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Media, PA.
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mido is a talented player if motivated. That said, as an Ajax supporter, I had ample chance to watch the bloom come off the rose in Amsterdam . Ajax couldn't get rid of the petulant primadonna fast enough when that happened. He is all of 27 and has already played at Zamalek , KAA Gent ( Ebony Shoe winner) , Ajax , Celta de Vigo, L'OM, Roma, Wigan, Boro, and West Ham.

7. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    You can't defend your position for crap so you resort to ad hominem attacks? Excellent work there moderator.

So that's your logic...really? Ohhhh, you're a girl. That explains it, you're excused.

8. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

You asked who else on the Union could score a goal like the one Ruiz did. Someone did and suddenly that wasn't against good enough competition. However this is the same competition that Herculez Gomez is scoring at will against so please excuse me for not holding the Mexican League to such high regard as you do.

Fact is, Ruiz is not a legend and most anyone would take Emilio over Ruiz.

No but you discredit anything anyone says to dispute you and get ultra defensive about Ruiz so there's no point in continuing. Ask fans of LA, Dallas, Toronto, Ruiz is not a legend to them. Well maybe Dallas but only because they have no history anyway.

He was a very good player in his day, yes. Legend? No.

EDIT: Looked over your post history. You've been a sounding board for Carlos Ruiz's MLS return for months now. Sorry for calling you Mrs. Ruiz. I should have said sorry Mr Carlos Ruiz's Agent.

9. PhilaDefendersFC

May 23, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Totally confused. Granted we won 3-1 on Le Toux's hat trick. So no one's really thinking we need another forward right now, which we do.

But they Ruiz bashing is amazing. I say bring him in if we can. The dude has scored 80+ goals in the MLS (impressive).

Behind Le Toux and Moreno the Union have a bunch of kids, you need more than that to win especially when except for the second goal (the one with the World Class assist from Moreno) the other two goals could be attributed to the shoddy defense of my former favorite MLS club. <He wipes away a tear>

Bring in Emilio, bring in Ruiz, hell bring in Thierry Henry. The Union still need help.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Personally, I hate Ruiz. But he has had some stellar goals and performances over the years. Unfortunately, those performances are mostly in the past. He does seem to be doing better at Puebla than he did with TFC or LA 2.0.

We'll see. Obviously Nowak must think El Pescidito must have something left in the tank, since he placed a discovery request on him.

11. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Didn't realize the Union was bringing a volleyball team to Philly, too!

12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Till you see that in his last 15 MLS matches he has 1 goal.

13. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade at forward, but I like Emilio more than Ruiz (though a proper judgment between the two would depend on what their salaries would be and what Union would have to give up to get them). That said, honestly I'd rather see Union get someone better than either -- with the amount of cap space and allocation money we have, plus all DP spots open, why can't we get a player than would really make a huge impact. I'd love to see the long forgotten rumor of Raúlcome to pass, for example (even if it would mean not adding him until after the WC). The amount of money/cap space it would take to sign a Ruiz or Emilion might actually limit the team down the road.

We have 3 roster spots open. We pretty much need to use one for defense depth IMHO, even if the team thinks of Ståhl as a defender. I haven't heard of anyone on the radar, though, now that Abu Bakr is gone.

I would think we'll see a signing of either Noone or Szetela at least this week, for some additional midfield depth.

14. PhilaDefendersFC

May 23, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Handball would have been funnier, since most volleyball teams are women's teams. Maybe that was your angle.

That makes it even more impressive, when he was motivated he scored goals. I'm way sure that playing for Nowak would keep him motivated.

(And a big kudos for me, that was my first multi quote post)

15. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

fyp

16. PhilaDefendersFC

May 23, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Please don't change my posts and make them look like you want them to, don't think it's cool when you do it to others, damn sure don't think it's cool when it's done to mine.

The funny part is, when or if Ruiz joins the Union, no one's going to be too unhappy after a couple of goals. Sort of like when T. O. joined the Eagles before he got there everyone hated him, but during that one magical season he was in Philly everyone loved him.

The T.O. Ruiz comparison ends there however, because the MLS and NFL salary rules aren't comparable.

17. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Listen, all im saying is that if you look at ANY SOCCER PLAYER EVER's numbers, they hit a peak, slowly fall in form, and almost never really recover to that point in their career. It has nothing to do with motivation or attitude. Unfortunately for Ruiz, his peak was 6 years ago.

18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Which game was this again?

19. PhilaDefendersFC

May 23, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So, 2 more days until the close of the international transfer window. Will we add Emilio or Ruiz or some other striker?

21. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

You should have your "Union" card revoked. :D

22. PhilaDefendersFC

May 23, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My money's on Emilio, but I'm leaning towards Ruiz.

Side note: I have wanted Emilio in Philly way back when DC United decided not to keep him. I might have posted it in a thread somewhere (it probably got shot down by everyone).

23. Jscraig

Jscraig Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  24. soccerman90

soccerman90 Member

Feb 16, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well said. Neither Emilio or Ruiz is a truly significant upgrade in my opinion. Both come with question marks and a history of being overpaid. As I mentioned previously, I want to see a creative forward along the lines of Schelloto or Del Piero as a DP (Raul would certainly fit the bill).

After the World Cup sounds reasonable, especially with so many home games on the back end possibly allowing the team to make a playoff push.