Tracking Alaves

Discussion in 'California Victory' started by IceFunk, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to go Doug, and why must there be a choice anyway I have supported multiple local teams for many years. I personally can't wait for the return of the Quakes but you know what the Vics are playing right now and even if the Quakes return I will still support both. They are in different leagues and would only compete in the open cup. I must second Doug's comments about that crap heap Spartan stadium I hated that place and I hope they never play there again. The vibe at Kezar is awesome great fans that turn out and we always have a good time and the price is beyond reasonable. Yet there are people in who troll in here and talk shite yet have never been to a game. It may not be MLS but the players have heart and play hard win or lose and then have a pint with the fans after the game. I don't understand what your guys problem is if all you care about is the Quakes then you have a very busy forum and can talk all you want there. This is our forum and I personally have had enough of you negative posting gloom and doomers. Get over yourselves and let us enjoy our year. If they are gone next year so be it but I hope they make it here in San Francisco where we have started a grass roots support that the team has noticed and we are have a great time with. So sit in your room and wait for the return of the Quakes. I would rather watch footy than wait for footy that until it happens may not return.

2. 4redcards

4redcards New Member

May 2, 2007
    southern california
    The people that dont really support the Victory want to through them under the bus for the "Quakes"...well if they were so great, why did they leave in the first place...and whats to stop them from leaving again!:rolleyes:

3. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

My last comment: "they" didn't leave, their ownership sold them down the river.

I fail to see what the Vics gain by bashing the Quakes. It's kinda sad, really.:(

I can understand the frustration: you guys are building a team, and you get the rug pulled out: by Wolfe and Co (innocently) and by your ownership (no comment). I am sorry.

4. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am just tired of he constant Vics bashing that some people feel the need to post in our forum. We get more respect from other USL fans than by people in our own back yard. But whatever I think the reason they want the Vics in Sac is to make sure Lew doesn't make them the Sacramento Quakes when he gets sick of fighting for a stadium in San Jose. I really don't care like I said the Vics play now so I support them when and if the Quakes return then I will support them but until then they don't exist except in some very fond memories of the past. Until they return MLS is dead to me so the USL is what I watch and real footy fans would see it for the quality that it is.

5. 4redcards

4redcards New Member

May 2, 2007
    southern california
    Who's bashing the "Quakes"...I just said don't bash the "Vic"!!!!

6. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet amico mio you come in here and bash the Vics with you "Sac is logical move" comments. I for one support them here in San Francisco not in Sacramento we are not bashing the Quakes we are taking exception with your and others presumption that because the Quakes return all other pro footy should just leave the area. The Vics are not bashing the Quakes and 99% of us are Quakes fans but right now this is our team and we will defend that, and for the record since ownership owns the team that means that the team left you can spin it anyway you want but they left. I will not apologize for defending the Vics I enjoy the experience if you would come to a game you would see why :mad:

7. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree. If I was in your shoes, I would do the very same thing--but I live bit of a distance away, and there is no way I make it there to both teams' matches. I am forced to choose, and as such, I choose the highest level of football that I can watch. Presumably, that will be the Quakes. If for some reason that doesn't work out, then it will most definitely be the Vics. Even if the Quakes return, I will still follow the Vics a bit (I only have 4 favorite forums here: Juve, Azzurri, Quakes, Vics).

In summary, I am a friend. I hope the Vics stay, honestly. I look forward to hoisting more than a few with you guys--at a Quakes match or at a Vics match. I come in peace.:D

8. 4redcards

4redcards New Member

May 2, 2007
    southern california
    In my opinion, saying that our team is not worth anything is the same as bashing. So who's bashing who???? And for the record...don't feel sorry for us...we will be just fine.....GO VICS!!!!

9. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    " :mad: "?:(

You misunderstood my post (or, more likely, I wasn't clear:eek: )

I am saying, that if the choice is seeing the Vics fold, or the Vics move and survive in Sac, I choose option 2. It is absolutely, completely SF's team, obviously. I was thinking out loud--figuring you guys would rather have the Vics alive in Sac, than dead in SF.

I apologize. :-(

10. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Of for gosh sakes....I'm talking financially. A team with a bankrupt owner is in dire straights.

You're getting angry at me, and I am on your side. I was planning a trip to see a Vics match--and we all caught the flu.

I am saddened to think that you guys would think I'm against you.:(

Again--I have 4 forums saved as fav's--this is one of them. I think that should tell you something.:(

11. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand amico mio but for now there is no reason for this because until its official there is no Earthquakes. I am fortunate that I do not have to choose when the Quakes return but I will attend Vics game because I live here and they are my city's club. Don't get me wrong I love the Quakes but I am not from San Jose I go because they are the highest professional club in the area. The two can coexist as well as the Seals and the Frogs. I am sorry of we are a bit aggressive on this issue but there are many who have bashed the Vics since day one and some of us are getting tired of it. Ancora Amici tifoso we just disagree slightly about this.

But not about Juve winning the Scudetto :D
    Come to a game and I will buy you a beer amico mio

12. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And I, the second round.:D

I tell ya what, I will make it to a match of each: Vics and Quakes next year (and hopefully Juve at Pinzolo :) )

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still you can't disagree, they could do better, both off field. They've made great gains on field this year which is awesome for a first year team. But I'm still disturbed by the lack of off field "official" support. The 1906'ers have done great for a small start up group, but with no official support it's going to be for naught. That said, I'll reitterate, I think the Vics can do quite well in SF if the ownership ever gets off their asses. Do I think they could do better elsewhere if an MLS club comes back to the bay area, yes, but they can do just fine in SF as well even if the Quakes come back. They're not mutually exclusive or anything.

But for gosh sakes whoever actually owns the team right now, marketing classes are available at your local community college. Please take some.

14. Bruiser650

Bruiser650 New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    SanFranciscoBayArea
    As the interim chairman of the California Victory Supporters Association, I feel compelled to speak on this issue.

Whether or not the MLS will come knocking on San Jose's door again is IRRELEVANT.

The Quakes, as it stands, does not exist. It may exist sometime in the near future, but it does not matter. I live in the future, the here and now.

What exists today is a team that plays in the USL-1 named the California Victory. They play at a public field that seats only 10,000 people. Their office consists of two overworked managers, one player, and an owner, who is kept in Spain due to financial difficulties.

On the pitch, is a mixed group of local boys and internationals thrown together in a series of circumstances that lasted no more than a few weeks.

Thats very San Francisco, isn't it? Suddenly, inexplicitly, giving no thought to the pain or distruption it would bring it. Thats strangely the same way Nick Hornby discribed his love for football (soccer).

We, the fans, found ourselves in a predicament not entirely unique to expansion teams. But our team was in trouble; so we asked ourselves, what are our choices?

One, we can be like other fans who do nothing at all but bitch and moan about the team, the stadium, and the possible departure to another city with a better appreciation of the game, or...

Two, we can do and continue to do what many should have done two years ago...FIGHT.

The ending result was the formation of the CVSA.

Our logic was this: If you cannot be a fan of a local team, mostly made up of local boys, in their darkest hour of their first year in existence, then you don't deserve a team and can only blame yourself. If thats the case, you can go ahead and wait for the Disney-polished, soccer mom finished product that left you once already, just so your lazy ass can buy "officially licensed" crap like thunderstix and horns.

Our self-respect prevented us from going that route.

Instead, we have found ways of working with the team. We have devoted both time and money to this "cause" of ours. Going to every game, making banners, knitting scarves, pub crawl promotions, attending pickup games; anything and everything to promote this team.. this team that properly represents us, this city, and this game.

If distance is your argument for not attending, I am reminded of all the Quake supporters who made the trek from Marin, SF, and Oakland to San Jose. If its because of the quality of play, should I remind you of the dark days of the SJ Clash. And yet still, Marin, SF, and Oakland were there.

My only goal is simple: to keep the Vics going one more year; and after that, one more year. Until that dark day arrives, if its next month or next year, I will keep on wearing that beautiful handmade scarf, sing my songs, chant my chants, and cheer on the Blue and White with pride.

~Bruiser

PS: If I had offended anyone, the complaint department is located at Section Oi!, Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, California. I will be happy to discuss and explain my views further. Discounts are available at the gate. And I hope you enjoy the game.

15. SL Benfiquista

Feb 11, 2006
    San Leandro, CA
    Let me start off by saying I got nothing but love for the 1906ers. As I've said before, I wish the management/ownership shared the same passion about the team that this group does.

However, the only way I see minor league soccer making it in The City is by having an owner who doesn't mind losing lots of money. The old Seals played USL D-2 and D-1 level soccer for quite a few years in The City and garnered about the same fan support as the Vics are now getting. Soccer is a tough enough business, but when you factor in that SF just isn't a minor league kind of town, it makes it virtually impossible to succeed financially. You have to get beyond the hard-core soccer followers and try and tap into ordinary peoples' entertainment dollars. Unfortunately, SF has so much going on that the competition for those entertainment dollars is fierce.

Believe me, I'd LOVE to see it work, but it's been tried a number of times and no one has been able to successfully crack that nut. But we've got a team right now so let's enjoy it for however long it lasts.

16. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Nice post:cool:

17. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    Sorry Mike, I love you and that was a great post, but I had to repost this small little bit.

18. sullyofthesunset

San Francisco Glens
    Jun 7, 2006
    San Francisco
    All I got to say about whats goign on is that it all boils down to feelings and emotions. Feelings rise and fall and emotion is the outward expression of all that. The only cure for all that is Pints and Prozac if you want a quick fix. I have found though that the relief I need only comes by looking inwardly and examining the deeper issues. The issues I have had to deal with in regards to the Earthquakes were those of guilt, anger, resentment and withdrawal. Self-Righteous posturing did nothing for me or the sense of abandonement and betrayal from MLS and AEG. Who was there to blame? After the realization that blaming and hating were counter-productive I simply found other alternatives. I found the Seals. A short season however in a World Cup year left me hungry to watch more soccer. Then in late August the announcement was made that Alaves was bringing a D1 Pro team to the Bay Area. I immediately got excited and to a fault perhaps put some unrealistic expectations on its owner to really market the team and seize the opportunity to make a big splash. That is yet to happen but there are a few people that share that enthusiasm for the game and the fact we have a soccer team to watch and they are the 1906. There are also the Seals supporters and the SJ Frogs Supporters. Having organized competative soccer is a gift not a right or a given. Any Quakes fan can attest to that. As a whole we got collectively dumped by AEG and MLS and the only way we will ever be able to have a organized competative soccer club to follow is to stick together and support those which appreciate our support. The final score being USL 3, MLS 0. See ya at the Kezar Pub. Go Vics!! and tommorow and Sunday Go Seals!! and wherever the Frogs be

19. sullyofthesunset

San Francisco Glens
    Jun 7, 2006
    San Francisco
    may they not croak on the pitch and give thier fans a reason to bitch.

20. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats brutal dude we all know what he meant, its hard to type with your fist :D

21. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL

22. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    There should be "the" before "now" as well, am I correct? ;)

23. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate this fight because I'm on both sides. I am a fan of both teams. I don't go to as many Vics games as I'd like, but I also havve missed a lot of Frogs games this year and I'd probably miss Quakes games too if they were playing.

I definitely want both teams to play, and would be a season ticket holder for both, but given the choice between MLS and USL-1 I don't think there's any contest.

24. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Let's not allow athletics68 to play the part of the whole "South Bay" here, okay? We're not all rooting for the Vics to skip town. Even for the Quakes fans who haven't taken to the Victory, that'd take quite a short memory to even suggest such. We know the effects of absentee ownership, and it wasn't long ago that the Quakes peaced out as a result. Who wants to wish that crappy feeling on others? Let's put down our weapons, people.

25. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, apparently you didn't read anything I wrote. I didn't say I want them to skip town. Infact I said not 10 posts ago I think they can do very well in SF if the ownership got off their asses.