Tracking Alaves

Discussion in 'California Victory' started by IceFunk, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys yosmaikel sent me a link to his Alaves website. He is even adding a Victory page its pretty cool even though I can't read Spanish :rolleyes:

http://www.babazorros.com/

2. yosmaikel

yosmaikel New Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Vitoria-Gasteiz
  3. yosmaikel

yosmaikel New Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Vitoria-Gasteiz
  4. Paynal

Paynal New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Camp Casey SK
    In their forum, there is a discussion about the Victory and how the sale of Alaves would impact us. According to them the Vics were created with the CLUBS money, NOT Pitermans. Which would mean any sale of Alaves would include the Vics. Although someone on there said, maybe he would by the Vics off the new owners (just speculation). Another said "Y si no, pues ajo y agua, y un equipillo que tenemos ahí chupando del bote. Al menos, nos serviría como segundo filial para probar jugadores extracomunitarios." I'm not sure what the expression "ajo y agua" means, but the part after that says (in regards to the the Vics, after the sale) 'we will have another club there, sucking on the bottle, at the very least it could serve as a place to test players... outside the country (I think, i dont know the word extracomunitarios :eek:)'.

I don't know guys I'm worried. What if he sells the club, and the new owners dont want anything to do with the Vics? Would the club disband, or would the USL take over the running of the franchise until new owners were found?

5. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think a lot will depend on how the franchise is doing if any of this were to happen. But the fact that Piterman has a home here he also might be setting up his situation back here once he sells Alaves. I am sick and tired of worrying about losing my club (again and again) I am just going to enjoy soccer again and whatever happens, happens. I think we'll be ok this is a good training ground for young players. I did not watch much USL until now and I have to say it is very entertaining and competitive lets hope it all works out.

6. Paynal

Paynal New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Camp Casey SK
    Of course your right. It's out of our hands, and for the immediate future we have a team so lets enjoy it. :)

7. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes thats all I am saying. You know for some reason the bay area is treated like a soccer step child, we have a great fan base of people who love soccer passionately and for some reason they feel that they can leave. For now we have a team at a competitive level and I am gonna enjoy it. :D

8. Paynal

Paynal New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Camp Casey SK
    I think thats what gave me the abandonment issues. ;)

9. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know I'm just like I just want a team to call my own

IS THAT TO MUCH TO ASK FOR :rolleyes:

10. xpo38

xpo38 BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 10, 2000
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with what you're saying but since the team is so new I don't think a re-brand or re-name would hurt that much. It's not like they've sold a ton of Cal Victory kits, scarfs, hoodies, etc or advertised much. There's just no roots here yet.

11. Paynal

Paynal New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Camp Casey SK
    I realize how ridiculous this hypothetical is, so don't jump all over me. But what if Piterman sold Alaves, and the buyers didn't wan't the Victory, so they decide to sell it. Also going along with the hypothetical scenario, Wolffs "plan B" (and C too) falls through, so he gives up on the MLS and buys the Vics? Could he move them and re-brand them to the San Jose Earthquakes of the USL? I know this is like 12 year old "what if you could turn invisible?" talk... still it's fun for me to play out the scenario in my head. :p I guess calling them the Quakes would be out of the question, but, still perhaps he'd be interested if he gets frustrated with the MLS (Wolff I mean).

Update: I'm just worried about what the sale of Alaves means for the Vics. I don't want to loose another team, because then what would that say about the bay area as a viable place for prefessional soccer? So i'm trying to make contingency plans in my head. Bad ones, but it brings me some comfort.

12. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000

You can always support the Seals. They are an entertaining side in a competitive league, decent value for the money. And if your more in the South Bay, then there's the Frogs. Either way, there will be soccer this summer!

13. Paynal

Paynal New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Camp Casey SK
    Not for me, the PDL franchise that was playing here folded at the end of last season... R.I.P. California Gold :( (Yes I'm in Modesto.)

14. Paynal

Paynal New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Camp Casey SK
    A pretty cool vid from Alaves, of a massive Piterman protest.

[youtube]lx9Nb8aWbkE[/youtube]

They're even supported by transvestites, and santa clause!

15. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Alaves moved down to the relegation zone with a loss over the weekend :( They are not in the worst position with just one point separating them from being in clear. Two games left to avoid the dreaded drop....

16. SL Benfiquista

Feb 11, 2006
    San Leandro, CA
    Tracking Alaves - Part II

Just wanted to continue the watch of the mother club here in the new sub-forum being that the situation in Spain will certainly have an impact on the future of the Victory franchise.

Alaves lost at home this weekend to extend their winless streak to 10 matches. More importantly, they now find themselves in the relegation zone with only six matches left to play. Relegation would be a huge blow to the club and would make it very difficult for Piterman to maintain his ownership.

Will be very interesting to see how events unfold over the next couple of months.

17. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Actually there are six games left in the Segunda A (21 opponents x 2 games per opponent = 42 games, and Alaves have played 36 so far-- same as the rest of their league).

The last games of the season are played June 16/17, so there is a ways to go.

Of the six, Alaves have 3 at home and 3 away. Two games are against teams below them in the relegation zone. One of the home games is against a team currently only 3 points above Alaves.

Another home game is against the top team, Valladolid-- which is already a lock for a top three spot and promotion (unless there is some kind of playoff against a La Liga team if you finish second or third in Segunda A). By the time Valladolid plays Alaves, Valladolid may very well have clinched first place in Segunda A, making the game meaningless for Valladolid.

The other two remaining opponents (both away games) are currently in 4th and 5th, but they have very little chance of making it to the top three (promotion zone)-- they have only 53 points each, and the current 2nd and 3rd place teams are at 70 points. These teams are still techinically vulnerable to relegation (10 points up with 18 points still possible)-- but there are so many teams beneath them the likelihood of relegation danger is close to zero. So they also may have nothing left to play for except pride.

Alaves is at 43 points. There are three teams at 44, one at 46 [which Alaves plays at home], and three more at 47. The nearest team beneath Alaves is at 39-- and Alaves plays this team at home. So Alaves can avoid relegation so long as it can minimize all the distractions and play solid ball the last six games.

P.S. This also means we likely won't see any more Alaves reserve team players joining the Victory until late June at the earliest.

18. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My bad on the 'just two games remaining'. Forgot to hit the full schedule link on soccernet........:rolleyes:

19. SL Benfiquista

Feb 11, 2006
    San Leandro, CA
    Good analysis on Alaves' home stretch Cristo.

Will be very difficult for the team to play through the distractions. Their recent 10 game skid is probably a testament to that. I don't think the players are motivated at all to play for Piterman. The fans anger continues to rise with each passing week. One of their stars, John Aloisi's contract is up in June and he has lots of distractions as he tries to plot out his return home to Australia.

You know, the best case scenario might be for Piterman to announce the sale of the team in the next few weeks, thereby renewing the fans and players spirits as they fight to avoid relegation.

20. Paynal

Paynal New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Camp Casey SK
    After the game when we were talking to Mike Munoz, and Josh Hansen they said that as far as they know Epi was all they were gonna get. Also they didn't know if they were gonna go train in spain after the season. I hope they do tho, and I hope that Alaves avoids the drop. Who knows maybe we might even see one of the boys playing for the mother club... If I had to pick a front runner right now I'd say either of the keepers, of maybe Sanchez, Hansen, or Casillas. Of course it's still VERY early in the season. ;)

21. yosmaikel

yosmaikel New Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Vitoria-Gasteiz
    Thank you very much. I am very happy reading coments about Alavés of people living so far from Vitoria :)
    I am suscriber of Alaves, and I go to all the games in Mendizorroza and some away of Vitoria. Now we are in a very bad situation, our team has been a lot of years in "Primera División" playing with teams like F.C.Barcelona, R.Madrid or Valencia and also in 2001 we played the UEFA final cup with Liverpool.

In our team, they are a lot of players receiving millions of euros, and if the team low to the second division "B" the club can dissapear because Piterman must pay all the money to the players and in that division the budgets are too lower.

22. FCSF

FCSF Member

Apr 27, 2006
    SF, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Definitely a chemistry issue between the team and the owner.

You guys have a good squad and were only relegated by a point last year.

Piterman just needs to calm down and hire a coach that he will actually let coach...:rolleyes:

23. Paynal

Paynal New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Camp Casey SK
    Earlier today Alaves lost to Cuidad de Murcia 5-1... things are starting to look pretty bleak over there. Still they're not out of it yet, hopefully they can turn it around.

24. yosmaikel

yosmaikel New Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Vitoria-Gasteiz
    We are in the worse situation of Alavés in the last years :(

25. SL Benfiquista

Feb 11, 2006
    San Leandro, CA
    The streak is finally over. The 2-1 win today over Poli Ejido pulls them out of the relegation zone.