Tournament's Best XI

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by mrliioadin, Jun 27, 2006.

1. mrliioadin

mrliioadin New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Hagerstown, MD
    or maybe it should be a best IX from all the red cards.

I thought it might be time to start thinking about who might make this list.

I think Buffon wins the keeper spot. Though I thought Edwin Van der Sar played well and Bobadilla had an outstanding tournament, even though they exited early.

Ashley Cole and John Terry belong on the defenders list as I think the english defense is the only thing keeping them in the tournament Cafu would probably find his way as well and maybe roberto carlos or possibly lahm from germany.

Middies, I think Gerrard has had a good tournament, Zinha from Mexico deserves a look. Maxi Rodriguez and/or mascherano from argentina. you could mention beckham as well I suppose since without him the english would probably be sitting at home on the sofa right now. I think after today and the later games we'll obviously be takling more about the Brazilians but up to now most would agree they haven't been outstanding yet. Just player well enough to get by in many cases. Kaka will probably find his way on the list by the time the finals come around.

Strikers... Klose, Maybe one of the brazilians. whoever wins the golden boot will obviously be here if it's not klose. Pauleta has played well but it hasn't amounted to much./ he could be talked about if they advance much further as he will have to be a factor.

I'm just starting to mention some names, obviously the quaters semi's and finals will go a long way to determining who wins what but I wanted to know who you guys think are the stand outs so far. I have a lot of englishman on my list so far even though they haven't played well I think the four that I mentioned are the reason the english are still alive. They've not played well and still won their group and are in the quarters.

Mention who you might pick and who I might have overlooked.

2. Heinz

Heinz Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Evergreen State
    I think we should wait till the tournament over before picking anything :rolleyes:

Beside, Lahm > Ashly Cole (at least in this WC)

3. mrliioadin

mrliioadin New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Hagerstown, MD
    if you read what I said... I'm starting a dialoug not making picks.

4. Aussie_gunner_14

Aussie_gunner_14 New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Adelaide
    From so far....

----------Isaksson--------
    Cafu---Neil--Cannavaro--Lahm
    Ribery--Vieira--????--M.Rodriguez
    ------Torres---Klose------

Really struggling to think of the other central mid spot.
    hmm....

5. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless if you think Grosso dived or not Lucas Neil was still skinned in the box in the 93rd minute of a 0-0 match. That alone rules him out of consideration for Best XI. My team is very similar to your with a few differences:

---------------------Buffon
    Cafu-----Cannavaro----------Nesta------Lahm
    --------Maxi-------Viera-----Mascherano
    -----------------Kaka
    -------------------------Klose

I picked players who have been consistent in every game they played. I think Philip Senderos can make a case for the other CB but unfortunately he got injured which hurts his chances of making the 1st XI. Nesta as well is injured but I felt his performances in the first two matches were too good to overlook. Also, if Gattuso keeps playing like he did versus Australia he is a certainty to get some consideration for this team. I'm still waiting for alot of the creatvie players to show more consistently. After Riquelme's first three games he was a lock for this team. But he sort of faded during the last 50 minutes of the Mexico game.

6. soccerfan007

soccerfan007 New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    ---------------------Buffon
    Miguel-----Cannavaro----------Nesta------Lahm
    --------Maxi-------Viera-----Essien
    -----------------Kaka
    -------------------------Klose

7. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    Your 11 is stupid then.

Lucas Neill was Ghod-like for Australia.

8. The V Bomber

The V Bomber New Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Neil is in the best XI without any doubt, clearly one of the top defenders in the championships.

9. Paddy31

Paddy31 Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Pukekohe, NZ
    My guess is that your team has already had a man sent off. Was is Stevie Gerrard?

10. Paddy31

Paddy31 Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Pukekohe, NZ
    My XI based on my favourites so far:

------------van der Sar

--Cafu---Toure---Jaidi---Lahm

Robben----Gerrard---Cahill----J.Cole

-----Klose------------Rooney

I realise that this is not the best players in the tournament, if it was Kaka would play and so would Ronaldinho, but it is some of my favourites based on games I've enjoyed and what I thought were the bets performances.

11. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    Lahm on the left back
    Nesta & Cannavaro the central defensive pair
    Kaka in the midfield
    Klose up front

those are the players who have made the biggest impression on me. I'd also like to add some Ghanaian or German midfielders, but I can't single out whom

12. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    I'd recommend Essian and Ballack.

13. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Maniche should be in there, and Ronaldo as well.

14. nikolaos1981

nikolaos1981 New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    (so far). . . .1)Buffon,2)Sagnol,3)Cole,4)Gallas,5)Cannavaro,6)Cesc,7)Joe Cole,8)Van Persie,9)Podolski,10)Kaka,11)Messi. . .coach:nikolaos1981

15. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    The real problem with your list is that Nesta has only played two games and wasn't particularly inspiring against the United States (the yellow card tackle right at the top of the box comes to mind).

I'd have to probably give Gallas the nod at the other CB spot, but Terry has plenty of time to overcome his error against Ecuador because other than that he has been top class.

16. ctruppi

ctruppi Member

May 7, 1999
    Annandale, NJ
    I don't like picking best XI before the end of a tournament, but whoever doesn't have Riquelme in AM and Miguel (from Portugal) at RB has clearly been watching a different tournament than me!

17. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bravo. E forza Napoli!

:D :D :D

18. newjerseyboy

newjerseyboy New Member

Apr 13, 2005
    GK-Buffon (ITA)
    LB-Lahm (GER)-watch GER. all there offense starts from Philip Lahm
    CB-Ayala (ARG)-Held Drogba, Borgetti, Van Nistelrooy, Kezman, Milosevic all scoreless when the met the big man
    CB-Gallas (FRA)-Is there any more physically imposing CB in this tourney
    RB-Miguel (POR), Arjen Who?
    MF-Riquelme (ARG), best player in tourney so far
    MF-Mascherano (ARG), allows Riquelme to never worry about defending in midfield
    MF-J. Cole (ENG), the 3 lions best player by MILES!!!!
    MF- Maxi (ARG), besides the goal he has played excellent box to box in all games
    FWD-Torres (ESP), despite the early exit he was clearly one of the top 2 strikers in the tourney
    FWD-Crespo (ARG), wily veteran scores the goals, sets them up, plays unselfish, defends up front. A true definaition of a player sacrificing his abilities to fit the team (are you listening JS Veron?)

Coach-Juergen Kilnsmann (GER)-instilling a new set of attacking football for the new breed of German players. KUDOS!!!!

19. JuveFE

JuveFE Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Jersey
    i agree with a lot of you that we should pick the 11 best after the tournament. but as of now, the player that should be on everyone's list is Klose. imo, he's having the best tournament out of everybody. and not because he has 4 goals but for the fact that he's doing everything right.

20. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Klose has been outstanding, and a huge reason that Germany has gotten this far, I agree. But I can't imagine a best eleven without Cannavaro. He's playing out of his mind. Italy has been down to 10 for a significant amount of time so his worth has been even greater, as has Buffon's.

21. JuveFE

JuveFE Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Jersey
    great point. cannavaro is nothing less than a brick wall. will definatly be included in everyone's 11 after the tournament aswell.

22. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    3-52 formation

GK: dida (bra)
    Lib: juan (bra)
    CB: Ayala (Arg) Cannavarro (ita)
    Left wing: Lahm (Ger)
    Right wing: Cafu (bra)
    Defensive Midfield: Pirlo (ita)
    Attacking midfielder: Joe Cole (eng)
    Attacking midfielder: Kaka (bra)
    Center Forward: Klose (ger)
    second striker: robinho (bra)

23. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm waiting until the tournament is over to make a best XI but so far players that have been standing out are Klose, Podolski, Ballack, Lahm, Maxi, Ayala, Miguel, Sagnol, Ribery, Beckham, Gerrard, Canavaro, Torres, Alonso, Riquelme, Boka, Akale, Toure, Appiah, Rosicky and Nedved (to an extent), Ze Roberto, Lucio, Juan, Kranjcar, Neil, Bresciano, Cahill, Frei, Senderos, Magnin, young-pyo, park, chun-soo, Milievsky, Voronin, Sheva.

Quarters will be telling.

24. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your right ;) But Gerrard hasn't shown enough. I'd add Essien, Cambiasso, or Gattuso to my squad.

25. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you need to go back and watch the US/Italy(and Italy/Ghana) match again. For as well as Cannavaro has played Nesta was head and shoulders over him in the first two games. He wasn't beaten once in 180 minutes. In the US game he won every header over McBride and he was outrunning Beasley at the end of the game. He was class. Getting a yellow card(which he actually didn't) is part of the game when your a defender.