Tournament of Champions

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by snipoppers16, Mar 17, 2011.

1. snipoppers16

snipoppers16 New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Chicago
    Surprised that there hasn't been any threads or discussion here.

SBFC and Fortuna Hjorring are tied 1-1 at half.
    Allie Long tallied the equalizer for Sky Blue.

The tournament is being broadcast on Eurosport 2 and Fox Soccer Plus.

Here's a link to a stream for the remainder of the SBFC match: http://www.fromsportcom.com/v-2/0/152/v-215225.html

LdB Malmo defeated Energiya Voronezh 4-0 in the first match.

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I'm at work so I actually watching the stream and its a good match so far.

3. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Thanks for posting! I try not to make too many threads, so scrimmages have been lumped into the preseason thread. I can't really watch the matches b/c they are during class.

4. snipoppers16

snipoppers16 New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Chicago
    Rats. My bad.

I believe the final is on Saturday, so hopefully you'll be able to catch that one.

Good play from SBFC. Their flank play was a bit weak, but as they're without HAO and Heath I wouldn't be too concerned with that. Long did a good job in the middle but got a bit fatigued by the end of the match. She had some great combinations with Aluko that narrowly missed connecting. They'll be a dangerous duo in WPS this season for sure once they get a bit more used to each other.

5. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No problem! I love to see others contribute to the forums and spread their SBFC spirit! :D Saturday is my day of birth, but I will try to catch the match.

I remember Gerry saying that they were playing more of a unit than in the past. The way things seems to be going is a really good sign for the next season. I feel that we are getting counted out because we don't have as many big names, but I think our team dynamic will put us in the top pack.

Have a good day.

6. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good writeup on the Fortuna match here. Branam made two huge PK saves to get them into the final.

7. NJgerman

NJgerman New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have a link for today's match?

8. snipoppers16

snipoppers16 New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Chicago
    I don't think the match was broadcast live anywhere this morning. Fox Soccer Plus is airing it this evening (9pm ET) and FSC is airing it tomorrow (6pm ET) during the usual WPS time slot.

This does me no good as I don't get either channel and have to work during those times so I couldn't live stream it anyway. :rolleyes:

9. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So does that mean we don't have the best pro league in the world?

11. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    no...it probably means the 5th best team in the wps finished 2nd in a tournament vs the best teams from other leagues. ;)

12. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, considering they have been together for only 2 weeks and are without O'Reilly and Heath.

13. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Of course there's a long and detailed summary SBFC's site, but if you would like to hear from the other side, there are reports at damfotboll.com and LdB FC also.

The view from the Swedes is that Sarah Storck's goal was very well taken and that the first half was quite even; that LdB ended up ball-chasing more in the second half, and didn't create enough goal-scoring chances although there were some fine individual efforts. Goalkeeper Thora Helgadottir had a couple of big saves, and forward Manon Melis was a constant threat. The damfotboll report further observes that LdB seemed to have better teamwork than SBFC; at LdB's page, their coach praises the experience of playing high-level international club teams.

14. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    sky blue had more of the ball at the beginning. malmo's goal was against the run of play. imo, brittany taylor, the captain was at fault for the goal, not getting rid of a cross well enough and letting the player behind her side foot it into the goal.

after that, malmo defended very well, countered dangerously, both gks made their saves, and malmo deservedly won.

my understanding from the commentator is that malmo have been together in preseason a little longer, and are closer to being ready for the start of their season. but sky blue really passed the ball around well, even tho their preseason in not as far along as malmo's and even tho they may be without 2 of their best players.

for a preseason game, other than the obvious mistake, it seemed to me that they did well.

15. Crazy Old Lady

Crazy Old Lady New Member

May 22, 2003
    just outside Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just wanted to say Thank You to Allie Long and Casey Noguera for taking gentle care of the German Shepherd that ran onto the pitch even though it probably cost you the tying goal