Toulon Festival of Football 2013

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Englishref, May 28, 2013.

1. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Just looking at the officials for the Toulon tournament and they have a Kevin Terry from the USA down as one of the officials, but he doesn't appear to be on the FIFA list. Is that correct?

If so, it's a great appointment for him and his ARs, given this tournament is usually refereed only by FIFA referees and is seen as a stepping stone for future high level officials. Howard Webb once refereed at this.

2. rkucenski

rkucenski Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Flower Mound TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yes, that is Kevin Terry, Jr. He's been doing MLS 4th officials last two years. Great appointment for him!

From his Facebook:
    Game Day: Toulon International Tournament, Wednesday May 29th Brazil vs. Belgium at 12:30pm central time on beIN Sport.
    USA Crew: Referee: Kevin Terry Jr. AR 1: Polo Mariscal AR2: Eduardo Mariscal

soccerman771, SA14mars and sjt8184 repped this.
  3. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Friendly : 2013 Toulon International U21 Tournament

No comments:
    [​IMG]
    The Toulon Tournament (officially the Tournoi Espoirs de Toulon or "Toulon Hopefuls' Tournament") is a UEFA supervised tournament with invited Under-21 national teams.
    This year will be the 41st edition (May 28th to June 8th 2013)

Appointed FIFA referees for the tournament are :
    Jerôme EFONG NZOLO (Belgium)
    Nicolai YORDANOV (Bulgaria)
    Achile MADILA (DR Congo)
    Luis SANCHEZ (Colombia)
    Murad AL-ZAWAHREH (Jordan)
    Artur SOARES DIAS (Portugal)
    Miguel Angel FLORES RODRIGUEZ (Mexico)
    Kevin TERRY Jr. (USA) - non FIFA

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not taking anything at all away from them personally, but doesn't this seem a very strange appointment for the entire crew? I guess it's one thing that we're the only country not sending a FIFA. But I'd think the alternative would be to send people who would be up for FIFA in the immediate future, as this is a high-level international event. Terry Jr. and the Marsicals haven't even had first division matches yet (other than Terry Jr. as a 4th), which means they couldn't possibly be considered for FIFA until 2016.

I guess I just wonder how this appointment happens. Is an American crew always invited? Part of me thinks that the MLS season being active has something to do with this, but then again, other guys (Guzman & Manikowski already this year) have taken time off for international tournaments. Maybe it's Walton's relationship with Elleray that gets a crew there, as this is a UEFA event... but that doesn't account for why it's a non-MLS crew either.

Again, great for all three. But it sticks out as being pretty odd.

5. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I seem to remember that non-FIFA guys from the US have been sent to this tournament previously.
    And, in a nice touch, I believe Kevin Terry went there many years ago.

PH

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. But non-MLS?

Terry Jr. and the Marsical ARs are essentially second-division officials (with the fourth official caveat for Terry Jr.). Every other referee there is a first-division FIFA referee. Again, great for them. But it definitely sticks out as odd. I would think this would have been a great opportunity for Villarreal or Chapman, to give two examples.

7. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I can't quite remember, but my feeling is that the one(s) who went were not MLS refs at the time.
    Hopefully someone else remembers who is was that went. Perhaps MLS feels that they cannot spare anyone from their contracted officials to go off for a couple of weeks.

PH

8. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Villarreal, maybe. Chapman, no. No sense in giving this sort of international experience to a referee too old to ever join the FIFA list. Still agreed that the Terry Jr. appointment is odd.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always forget that about Chapman. Good point.

10. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I am not sure what the significance of this tournament is. Now that FIFA has the U-20 World Championship, it seems as though it is just a try-out type of competition, or a warm up for the U-20 Finals.

As far as the referees, Webb notwithstanding, it may be one of those "other" tournaments, of which there are several around the world, where the also-rans or 2nd stringers on the FIFA lists who are not selected for the major FIFA tournaments get appointments.

PH

11. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    I seem to remember Ricardo Salazar refereeing at this tournament a few years ago, and I think Kermit Quisenberry went with him. I only remember because I always found the name Kermit Quisenberry quite funny for some reason. I think they were both FIFA at the time. And US officials aren't always invited. I think they tend to invite referees from the nations of the teams competing by and large.

12. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the first time it has been televised in some years or was it not televised in HD before beIn Sport got it.

13. whistleblowerusa

whistleblowerusa BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    This tournament is not sanctioned by FIFA at all and only plays 40 minute halves. Games like these will not do anything for a FIFA official. The US has a little different progression system than most other federations. My guess it is a bit of a risk but the sending of the US crew does not take MLS guys away from their own assignments. PRO controls these assignments (Toulon) as well. Probably a tryout with no risk of screwing up an MLS team's standing.

14. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    40 minute halves in a U-21 match is ridiculous. Any reason why?
    Even U-19 play 45 min.

PH

15. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    I don't know the actual reasoning but it's what they do with this tournament. Since it is not sanctioned FIFA they can do what they want. They are just friendlies. Heck, look at the venue. It looks like a local park.

Officials aren't appointed either. I believe that each participating confederation is asked to supply a crew.

16. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Thanks.
    Maybe it's on the lines of the Nike Friendlies that are played in Florida or Arizona, and have short games. But at least they are only U-17, and don't usually have any foreign FIFA refs on them, mostly
    up and coming people.

PH

17. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    The Toulon Tournament isn't really a U20 event either. France brought older aged players. Some have younger ages as well. I think with the frequency of play the shorter halves may work best.

18. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca
    Correct about salazar and quisenberry they were there with Webb and Thomson and one other worldcup :barefoot: list candidate cannot remember his name. I think the Mexican is a non fifa as well.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he's been on the FIFA list since last year.

20. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca
    sorry I get lost with all of the names :)
    thank you for correcting me