Tough Decision looking for thoughts.

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by TerminalVertigo, Jul 19, 2007.

1. TerminalVertigo

Oct 18, 2004
    Ottawa Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I work for a company who does networking for some big companies in Toronto.
    I have worked there for a year in september.

Last week i found out one of my friends who is originally from Birmingham, is moving back to find a job, as the job market in Windsor (south of Toronto) is very small and hard to break into.

We bounced the idea around of me getting a job over there and moving over.

This excites me to no end, just the fact that i will be immersed in football. (play, see, read, write, etc etc :) )

this would be a huge move for me, the biggest of my life (I'm 24)

i just wanted to hear other peoples thoughts on moving continents, what i would need to do, what i should expect.

Im not sure that i am moving, but any pros or cons anyone might have would be really appreciated

thanks

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    do what your heart tells you. If you don't have anything in Canada holding you, then go............you can always come back.

3. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Fair play to you if you do.

I did it myself many years ago, coming to the States.

The single most important thing you need is contacts.

Contacts for employment (can you work legally?, if not, don't bother at all), housing, social life, financial needs, and access to medical, banking, transportation and job opportunities.Moving to the country wouldn't be wise ;)
    It's no use just going over if you only have a 'friend that is looking for work' - you'll need far more stable and solid contacts than that.

4. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed with yasik and Clan. Make sure everything is legit before you invest the time mate. I have had a quite a few friends on both sides of the pond get sent back because of paperwork, visa problems. Its not worth the effort or time planning things out if the set up is not correct to begin with.

If you know anyone in the area, I would recommend contacting them and checking with them on the infrastructure- transport is huge as it is an immense pain in the arse to get around in the UK. Housing is very important as well.

Other than that, I hope you go for it. Keep in mind that you are also a few cheap flights away from places like Greece, Germany, the Czech Republic, Italy, Spain, Sweden, and even France (if you are desperate).

Good luck mate and keep us up to date.

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Hmmmm........

Its a tough call. Be warned on several fronts;

1. Football is a bad reason to move. You'll also find, I suspect, that the type of fan who's crazy about football isn't the kind of fan you're like to be friends with. Most people I work with are football fans, but not quite diehards. And yes, football fandom carries a very different social connotation in the UK than in the US. Not that there's anything at all wrong with it, but be prepared for it.
    2. Football is awesome. I love being able to see Chelsea matches in London. But its a bad reason to move. Its not nearly enough, and you'll get a bit tired of it. Especially if its Brum. :p
    3. England is expensive. Especially London. I'm back in NYC this week and its amazing how cheap everything seems. While you did mention you'd be in Birmingham, if you anticipate being to go to lots of Chelsea games.....it adds up. Very quickly.
    4. People have mentioned work - its not an unimportant consideration. Work permits are important; you can't simply show up and work in England.
    5. Socialy, England is harder than the US or Canada. First, you won't be at university. Second, most people you work with will be. People in England don't tend to move as much and have many of their friends close at hand. They're not as welcoming of "outsiders" as Americans. That's not to say they're unsociable (or that they remotely care about crap like your American accent) - its just that they have their circle of friends and they'll likely to stick to it. My friends are mostly other expats here, because it makes sense. And I live in London, where expats abound.

I'm not trying to put you off, and there are lots of positives, which lots of other people can tell you about. I quite like living in London and may well end up here longer than I ever anticipated. I also moved at a fairly similar age (I had turned 26 two months before I left), so I can understand where you're coming from. But I was also moving into a very certain position; I wasn't even leaving my current employer.
    England can be a lot of fun, but this does take a bit of thought. I'm not telling you not to do it, but rather to consider various aspects of it.
    Oh, and the transportation system is deplorable. I hate BA. That's not entirely relevant, but I thought I'd throw it in. :)

6. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :confused: :D thats a rather dubious generalization

But yeah BA are arseholes unless you fly first class :)

But what you say nice is mostly wise and at the end of the day it is better to try something and to take the risk imho. He who dares wins (eventually). . . and it is better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done.

I echo yasik.

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    One of my European friends once put it this way: "I find it much easier to make acquaintances in America and much easer to make really good friends in Europe".
    I've found that to be true, but making good friends takes a lot of time.

8. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    If you don't have a work permit already, the route I'd recommend taking is pursuing a visa through the Highly-Skilled Migrant Program(HSMP). A work permit requires a job to be on offer and the employer to sponsor you for it, tying you to them. the HSMP visa is not dependent upon you already having a job lined up. You can get an HSMP visa and then start looking for a job. I'm currently on a WP through graduating from a Scottish University but am going to be applying for an HSMP visa in the near future if I decide to take a position on offer this week.

Here's a link to a visa service with backgrounds on permits, visas, etc.

http://www.fastukpermit.com/visas-permits/hsmp/

Hope it helps.

9. TerminalVertigo

Oct 18, 2004
    Ottawa Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    thanks for the thoughts and the link.

i will keep you guys informed as to what happens.

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Also, if you do have any questions, feel free to PM.

11. TerminalVertigo

Oct 18, 2004
    Ottawa Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i am trying to amass a list of stuff i would need to bring for this to work out.

I am also debating whether or not just to go over and visit for a few months, see if its something i really want to do.

For anyone who has done this, what all would i need?

So far:

Job (duh)
    work permit
    flight over
    I will have a place to stay and food to eat till i get my feet on the ground.

I am going to try and get a job through an agency perhaps.

what else is needed?

12. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    A hardy liver.
    But seriously, you don't technically need more than that. Where would you be staying, Birmingham?

13. TerminalVertigo

Oct 18, 2004
    Ottawa Ontario
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah my buddy will go over , get a place , and then i would come over and room with him.

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Just make sure you have enough spare cash if things go wrong or you can't find a job. I can't stress this enough; England is REALLY expensive.

15. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.workpermit.com/uk/relocation.htm

Some handy links here.

Otherwise good luck. I made the move from the UK to the US at 22 and haven't looked back in 6 years. As a realist I would plan on the worst case situation so you have a contingency if a job is not immediately forthcoming.

I would also echo Nice's comments on getting to know people back home. We are a closer group of people generally, a bit more on the dour side (when asked about how we are we are less likely to say 'great' but 'can't complain' or 'musn't grumble') but as long as you realise that people are generally taking the piss with 99% of their comments and you have a thick skin and a love of curry you will have a great time.

Oh and expect stick for being a Chelsea fan - this may be the hardest part of your transition. Especially in B'ham where you will be seen as a glory hunter - just be prepared for that.

16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way :p