Totti to start against Ghana

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by ArtemioD, Jun 9, 2006.

1. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. Le Zebre

Le Zebre Member

May 10, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well you have to give it to Lippi, he's sticking to his attacking mindset. He must also see something in Totti that was lacking in those two friendlies.

3. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We all know that if we attack we will go far and at the very least if we go down we go down fighting.

GOD if we resort to Trapattoni's strategy 4 years ago .....:( :( :(

4. forzaazzurri2006

forzaazzurri2006 New Member

May 31, 2006
    long island
    Nesta? DeRossi?

Any word on Nesta? I shudder at the thought of Materazzi in the center of our defense. Any Italian that picked his jersey number based on Michael Jordan being his favorite athlete is simply in the wrong country, playing the wrong sport.

Also, why is Perrotta, who played, I think, less than 1/2 of a game in qualifying, coming on to replace Gattuso. Every article I read seemed to take the logical approach that, especially against Ghana, our mid field could use the non-stop pace of DeRossi, who's been playing some real nice soccer. (Reminds me of Gattuso's energy when he was at his peak...seems like such a logical replacement.)

5. Azzurri_in_U.S.A

May 16, 2006
    California
    Question: Why are we telling everyone this? Wouldn't it be better to keep it secret until the match day? Or is that not allowed?

6. IlRomanoItaliano

IlRomanoItaliano New Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Roma
    Either way Italia wins! :D

7. Azzurri_in_U.S.A

May 16, 2006
    California
    Let's hope so....I will be praying for sure [​IMG]

8. Blue Wrecking Crew

Blue Wrecking Crew New Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Re: Nesta? DeRossi?

When Perrotta was being rumored to start it was going to be a 4 man midfield, 4-4-2, which included De Rossi as well. Totti and Del Piero were rumored to begin the match on the bench......since then the latest is now that Totti will start and we are back to the 4-3-1-2. Totti must make himself present in the midfield though because they will come at us with a 5 midfielder formation.

I would be more inclined to pull out Gilardino and play a 4-4-1-1 against 5 man midfield which I've said in the pre-match thread but if we don't its important that Totti makes himself more present in the middle of the field to pick up posession.

9. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If Totti is starting, does that mean Del Piero will start on the bench?

I would prefer for Totti to start and for ADP to be on the bench. I wouldn't want both of them to start because it's so hard to tell if they will produce some moments of genius or sit on their arses.

10. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Trappatoni was certainly a disappointing coach. I could not stand the style of scoring one goal and remaining on the defense. Italy has a powerful defense, but it also has a powerful offense, and if Lippi keeps an attacking strategy, I'm confident that Italy can decisively defeat Ghana with some 2-0 or more.