Totti or Neymar?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Zitor, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago
    If someone is going to splash the cash on one player ala DB, why wouldn't they choose one of the highest profile right now? Neymar.
    I have seen Neymar play live, the guy is brilliant. I would say he alone might take MLS to the next level in every shape or form... He should be the one all kids got to be watching to learn from. He'd be on each Sportcenter highlights... and he's black:D

2. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    oh yeah that dude is good, hopelly he will be the next pele and come to america instead of going to europe :D that would be awesome.

3. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Even Messi alone can't bring MLS to the next level, to achieve the next level MLS needs to improve overall skills/tactics and build a good academy system... There isn't a single player in the world that can do that.

Neymar is an exciting player that has the potential to become a "Craque" (elite player) but he isn't a savior (at least not yet)... and Oh you would have to tell him that he is Black, he isn't considered a black person in Brazilian...

4. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neymar... the black Totti.

btw Ganso's game seems more similar to Totti than Neymar's. Both great players though.

5. LASA

LASA Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I guess you're not familiar with what Neymar commands right now. Let's just say it would bankrupt the MLS. It's the same reason we don't get Messi, Chicharito or Ronaldo. It's not cost effective and we already know we'll secure them when they reach their twilight 10 years from now. :rolleyes:

6. patbills88

patbills88 Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neymar doesn't want to waste his time playing with mediocre players, he wants to be in europe with the best

7. LASA

LASA Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Lol. Ladies and gentleman, a Columbus Crew fan.

Way to take some pride in your league.

8. patbills88

patbills88 Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love my team, but im not going to act like MLS is the best league. Wouldnt put mls in the top 15 in the world considering how poor MLS teams have done in the concacaf champions league. just being realistic

9. LASA

LASA Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No one asked you too, but to call us "mediocre" is a disservice to the league we're all trying to help grow. No big deal tho, I know what you're trying to say, just thought your approach was a little ironic and embarrassing.

10. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    pele never went to europe.

i think neymar have said something about he doent care about going to europe either.

when you know you are good, who gives a crap where you play.

europe is where the money is but not everything is about the money.

europe is not for everybody, i personally wouldnt really like to live in europe, heard too many racist stories, wouldnt like to live like that, we have enought racism in the usa, europe is prob worse.

why didnt pele go to europe? just wondering, this is interesting.

according to salvadoran grandpas, Cariota Barraza was a sensation in Salvadoran soccer, and Santos of Pele wanted to sign him and he said he wanted to stay his whole life playing in El Salvador.

People also said that in those days, Brazilian teams didnt take foreign players either, so this guy was prob really special.

The Pele story is interesting thought, he knew he was the best and he saw not reason for going to europe...

11. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    I far as I know Pele never when to Europe because:

1) There was some regulation in Brazilian soccer that would make the move difficult

2) The leagues were more balanced - European leagues weren't head and shoulders above everyone else.

Regarding Neymar, Santos is hopping that they can retain him until 2014 (when his contract expires) he has a 50mm $$ penalty clause and after the contract expires all the fees goes to the Player so Neymar has a incentive to go though the contract as well. But we are all certain that sooner or later he will go to Europe... EPL, La Liga and Serie A are much better than the Brazilian league is not only about the money but the level of play also... sad but true

12. johnssmith1

johnssmith1 New Member

Jun 22, 2011
    "After the World Cup in 1962, wealthy European clubs such as Real Madrid, Juventus and Manchester United tried to sign the young player, but the government of Brazil declared Pelé an "official national treasure" to prevent him from being transferred out of the country." wikipedia

13. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Incredible to realize Pele never played over there.