Totti Fined

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Benvolio, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Benvolio

Benvolio Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did anyone see Totti spitting at that Danish player during the game yesturday?
    Personally, i think that it was pretty disgusting, you can play against teams you dont like, you can play against players that you dont like, but to spit in the face of another player is pretty harsh...
    What are yoiur views about this?
    What punishment do you think he should get?

2. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I didn't see it so I cant say for sure. I also think its possible that the entire thing was misinterperated, maybe he spits while he talks who knows??

3. kotzunder

kotzunder New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    no he spat intentionally....he'll get at least 2 matches ban probably more

4. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001

not misinterpreted at all.......... a total obscene act.

that tackle at the end of the game was also disgraceful.

5. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    How the fuk would you know did yoo see it? Unless you did then there's no reason for emitting all this hot air.

6. kotzunder

kotzunder New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    sure, i saw the video on tv.

7. angelncali

angelncali New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Sunny California
    I saw it. It was completely intentional. Totti has always been a hothead. Spitting in another players face is ****************. He should be suspended for the remainder of the tourney.

8. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brilliant.

He should have lots of time to break in his boots.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. soccer_stallion32

soccer_stallion32 New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    oh my god we are FU CKED what the hell Totti this is complete bull. Here are the pictures:

http://www.dr.dk/sporten/em2004/article.jhtml?articleID=177789

Looks like a bad photoshop deal but that is what might make it believeable.

I agree it must have been frustrating to be marked by that flushed albino bastard. Poulsen has zero skill all he did was push and tackle Totti off the ball (sometimes illegally, but of course it went unnoticed). I dont think that oaf even touched the ball throughout the game. Oh wait yes he did one time he pushed Totti out of the ball's path and found this curious round object at his feet. Puzzled he moved his foot in the direction of his good buddy Helveg, he knew Helveg knew what to do with this crazy contraption he saw him playing with it in training while he practised walking into walls to toughen himself up. He considered passing it to his other buddy Thomasson but he thought he saw him practising falling to the ground every time he touched this contraption so he thought he might be allergic to it or something.

Plus all you retards who consider Totti's tackle as ridiculous are just that retards. Did anyone see where his foot was if he was going to tackle the guy he would have gone for the feet not his shins. He unlike you morons saw that Vieri was open and had he been able to reach that open and very playable ball he would have stormed down the field and passed it to Vieri or had a chance on net himself. The D was pressing looking to bomb the ball back if it came to them but they were spread to the wings and only one maybe two guys in the middle. Totti would have dribbled those bums and then got through on goal or at least had a chance from a free kick because if the bums caught up to him they would have surely tackled him to the ground. If he had gotten that ball would we even be talking about stupid Poulsen in the way yah probably about how he got beaten by a magnifcent Totti who grabbed a late winner from nothing. :mad:

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off we are not fu cked, Totti is not Italy.

Secondly, Totti's foul was a justified yellow card. It could have been red and you wouldn't have heard a complaint from me.

People get so worked up over Totti, but what has he done for the NT? He's yet to live up to his hype.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well now I just heard that the rumor is that Totti will get a 3 match ban.

What a dumbass.

13. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Totti is over rated.

He will be banned for the tournmanet, and should be replaced by Pirlo !

14. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
  15. soccer_stallion32

soccer_stallion32 New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    I agree Totti may not be Italy but he is a very good player and having him out of the line up could be pretty bad.

Second off I never said Totti's card was not justified. Of course he could have gotten a red card for that tackle but what I meant was that it didnt really look like he was going for the tackle in the first place it looked to me at least like he was trying to play the ball get some counter attacking action in the last few mins of the game.

Third I also agree that he has never really lived up to the hype but hype is hype. Totti is a great player and can produce a moment of magic that will be remembered for years to come and when ("if" considering his possible spitting suspension) you will regret having played him down to the level of a normal player.

16. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Italy is at its best under a little bit of adversity. I expect the rest of the team to step it up a couple of notches. This is exactly why Pirlo was brought, in case a dramatic change of tactics was required.

ps I've always thought Totti was a dumb-ass; now it's proven.

17. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Totti never does anything for ITALY, he just a club player and a STUPIDO !

18. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    On the tackle that got Totti a card - had he gotten there in time and gottern the ball, he might have sprung the game-winning counterattack. I'm pretty sure that's what he had in mind. It just worked out very badly for him. I'm confident that the ref had the same idea - it was a legitimate attempt for the ball gone horribly wrong - and that's why he chose the yellow card instead of red. I think that was a good choice, although I wouldn't have been extremely critical of a red.

As for the alleged spitting incident, I'm upset by the prospect that pictures from a TV station of the opposing nation could be used as evidence for a suspension. I would certainly hope that if he is suspended, that additional evidence is used to draw the conclusion.

19. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am surprised that he wasn't sent home. This type of stuff is bs and shouldn't be tolerated at any level. It looked like the Danish player accidentaly ran into him and said sorry but Totti probably thought it was some slur and spat at him. He should be sent home and suspended from international play for the rest of the year if not by UEFA than by Italy themselves.

20. bobarino

bobarino New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Has anyone seen or heard of an official suspension of Totti, or is it still speculation? Can't blame the heat, boots or rough socks for this one.

The cleated tackle at the end of the match was an aggressive play, but IMO was not out of frustration nor intended to cause injury. He deserved to get booked, but not sent off for trying to make a last minute big play.

21. ctruppi

ctruppi Member

May 7, 1999
    Annandale, NJ
    Just got finished watching the Greece-Spain game. Won't give any results for that, but at halftime Lnekar, Schmeichel and the other two studio analysts showed the tape. It is extremely damning evedence and I don't see how it's possible that Totti will not be on the next plane home. They also said that an UEFA decision is forthcoming tomorrow morning.

On a speculative note, if Totti indeed is sent packing and Italy go on to do very well, I think his Italia international career is over. After the poor performance and red card vs Korea in 02 (I know it's very debateable) and the performance on Monday, what future coach in his right mind would gamble on such an idiot!

22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    What a yob. I mean, we always knew that he wasn't very intelligent. But now his stupidity could screw his whole team. And he can't even blame Moreno this time.

23. Plundun

Plundun New Member

Dec 18, 2000
    To demand extra evidence is foolish.

1 The video is indisputable once you see it. The act is clearly seen and not excusable in a "Totti sneezed without realizing it" way. As for video editing I'm sure you don't want to accuse independent media of that.

2 Even if had been the other way around (Danish player spitting on Italian player) the tv-station would still have broadcast the video as it is controversies like these that any media thrives on.

3 The fact of the matter is that especially media from Italy and Denmark will have additional footage from the match. It does not make sense that television from an outside nation would have a tv-crew covering the match.
    The official cameras can't cover every blade of grass and every player. If you are clever enough you will spit when play is elsewhere. Decreases the likelihood of getting caught. This time it didn't work because the tv-station had their camera follow the Poulsen-Totti duel. This not in anticipation of anything like this but because it was known beforehand that a large part of the danish tactic would be to contain Totti.
    That this exposed Totti as a very bad sport is not biased by the source.

4 It is an independent decision by an unbiased committee. If they feel the video is inconclusive they will act appropriately.

24. b50c

b50c New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Holland
    Personally I think his tackle at the end was more worse than the spitting, but I agree this is pretty disgusting too. Reminds me of ''drama llama'' at WC90 when Rijkaard spitted at Voller. I dont know how many matches Totti will be banned, but Mihajlovic got banned once for 8 European matches for an incident like this.