Tottenham vs. Marseille, Champions League group stage, Sept 7

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Phillyspur, Sep 6, 2022.

1. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Watching Tottenham on a Wednesday night, 2022/3 edition, begins with a home tie vs. the Frenchies... who are in good form in Ligue 1 level with PSG at the moment. Even though they came from pot 4 in the draw they were probably the strongest team from it.

Also, there is the spectre of the game with Citeh on Saturday. I do not envy Antonio deciding who plays when. Lucas is the only injury absence I am aware of.

I hope we field a strong team. A loss at the Etihad wouldn't be a surprise, even if we won there last year. I say make a strong start in the group and maybe rotate more in later games.

How about

Lloris - Romero, Dier, Davies - Emerson, PEH, Bentancur, Perisic - Deki, Kane, Son.

I don't have access to the game, and I'll be in transit anyway for some of it, so will see highlights later.

2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm off to work in about 15 minutes, and can't see myself done by kickoff, though perhaps before the final whistle.

Quite nervous about this one, though that's hardly a shock. I don't know anything about how they set up, but if they sit in, it could be a long night.

3. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I read someplace that Marseilles play a style similar to ours. I wouldn't mind seeing Richarlison start again.

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
  5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Watching the undercard match. Sporting take the lead 2-0 at 67 minutes, with two goals in 2 minutes. Ex-Spur Marcus Edwards with a goal and an assist. Must agree with the announcers, he's been the best player out there.

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Here are the teams:

Tottenham Hotspur: Lloris, Romero, Dier, Lenglet, Emerson, Hojbjerg, Bentancur, Perisic, Richarlison, Son, Kane.

Subs: Doherty, Skipp, Sanchez, Gil Salvatierra, Sessegnon, Forster, Kulusevski, Spence, Tanganga, Sarr, Davies, Bissouma.

Marseille: Pau Lopez, Mbemba, Bailly, Gigot, Clauss, Rongier, Veretout, Tavares, Guendouzi, Gerson, Suarez.

Subs: Ngapandouetnbu, Balerdi, Payet, Under, Gueye, Kolasinac, Kabore, Blanco, Harit.

Referee: Slavko Vincic (Slovenia)

They actually have three ex-scum in their squad, Guendouzi, Kolasinac and Alexis (not in the team tonight) and ex-spammer Payet on their bench.

7. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Concerned that Bissouma doesn't get a start again, not sure what is going on with him. We do have a history of signing players who looked great AGAINST us, but flopped once they came to us. Let's hope that this is not the case.

8. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The Marseille team coach was late arriving (the bus, not the actual coach...). Alexis is not in the squad because he is serving a suspension he picked up last year with Inter - so one less player to boo.

9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I hope he gets in just to hear the announcers trying to say his name.

soccernutter repped this.
  10. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Nuno Tavares also in the Marseille side

11. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Typical Spurs start, we are content to sit back and let them have possession.

12. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Lloris with another bizarre moment: under no pressure at all, he punches straight up into the air instead of catching.

13. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Half an hour in and we have been terrible.

14. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Poor play from Kane, with space on the right and plenty of teammates in the area, he checks back on his left foot and is easily blocked. Conte is going ballistic on the touchline.

15. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    HT 0-0, we have been awful.

16. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Second half underway

17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Newcastle reject Mbemba sent off for hauling down Son who would have been clear through. Man U reject Eric Bailly gets booked for dissent. Marseille down to 10.

18. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Lloris' distribution has been terrible, he puts Royal under pressure with a terrible pass out and Marseille win back possession.

19. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Son scuffs a shot wide for a goal kick. We haven't threatened since the sending off.

20. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Marseille players are just falling and clutching their heads any time a Spurs player goes near them and the idiot ref is buying it.

21. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    We still look lethargic, even with the numerical advantage.

22. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Kulusevski on for Royal, 30 minutes to go.

23. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    The ref is terrible - a ball clearly goes out for a corner off them and Son gets booked for arguing - dreadful.

24. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Kulu with a terrible cross that sails into the stand

25. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    20 minutes to go and we still show no signs of scoring.