Tottenham vs Liverpool FC - EPL - Sept 30 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Sep 28, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think that should be "When does your logic start?"

2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I just realized ....

the line from PGMOL is that the VARs said "check complete" assuming the goal had been given.

but for goals with a potential for offside, the ref waits for the VAR to TELL him if it should be given or not. at that point in time the ref hasn't "given" anything to anyone as the decision is pending.

so the VAR saying "check complete" and nothing else ..... that's total 100% bullshit!

is this more PGMOL deflection bollocks, or am I incorrect in this?

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  3. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    The audio will tell.

4. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    If it hasn't been doctored.

5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    but that's what they've been telling everyone so far - no?

6. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    There are ways to uncover that sort of manipulation.

For as incompetent as PGMOL are - I don’t think even they would do that. That’s sets up legal/fraud claims which would be much much more significant than the ‘error’ on Saturday.

It would be hilarious if they tried and found out, but no way would they do that.

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    jeez, I wouldn't stretch that far.

although tbh my first reaction to us not getting the whole audio was to think that they're hiding the piece when the VARs say "that'll teach the scouse bastards". :)

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I repped this as generally sound. But, that said - My biggest problem with this kind of yellow to red card stuff (via VAR) is that there's often an absolute instant change in the primary person in charge's psychology (often) when he is shown a slow motion of the outcome of a challenge. As in this case where nothing of the impetus has essentially changed. Just some pedant up in the viewing box flexing his dubious authority to say look at it, because it looks worse in some ways than what you decided.

What did the field ref think he had missed here? I'd like to ask him that. Obviously Bissouma got hit as he was rolling around like John Dillinger's Studebaker had just sped by.....
    But he got hit at the end of something that did not start out as a reckless situation. That's all that was there to be determined by the review. (As I said, these are not games played to rugby rules.)

Could/should he (Jones) have been expected to challenge differently? No.
    Had he not hit him would any ref have subsequently thought that he challenged with overt foot action? Again the answer is no.

It's a farce.

9. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #584 hubbabubba, Oct 3, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
    I'd like to get away from the idea of "intent" or "malice" in this type of tackle, as I don't think they are relevant. The issue is, is it dangerous play, and what should appropriately be judged dangerous play? Again, given the nature of the sport there are going to be times when through nobody's fault, players get injured. This is why we don't automatically send someone off when they are involved in a coming-together which results in an injury. The more important deciding factor should be whether when the two players entered into the tackle, or "coming-together" whether one or both of them were engaging in dangerous play. A situation where the player could reasonably expect that their actions could result in injury to the other player. This, I think, is the more appropriate way to assess whether these types of situations are deserving of a red card or not. Of course, there is also a separate category where the player appears to display intent to harm, which of course should result in a red card.

Why I think this is a crappy call on Jones, is that when contact was initiated his foot was in no way in any dangerous position. He's coming in to that tackle effectively with the same boot height and studs at the same orientation as the opposing player. He's initiating contact with the ball, he just gets there a fraction of a second later than the opposing player. This means that the ball, which he would have initially contacted at or below the middle, has now fractionally moved, and his foot hits it slightly higher up and then slides over the ball. This all happens so fast there is literally no time for either he or the opposing player to even react to the changed ball position. Further, he's not "lunging in" on the ball, but has an outstretched leg, and he is effectively in the same shape as the opposing player, who is also stretching out a leg to try to make contact with the ball.

Again, it isn't about "intent" it is whether Jones is guilty of dangerous play as he enters into the tackle. I don't think so, and I don't think there is any way that he could have anticipated that he'd roll up over the ball. He has every right to contest that 50:50 challenge, and if he didn't then the opposing Tottenham player didn't either. He just got fractionally luckier and didn't slide up over the ball during this encounter.

10. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    I suspect they were listening to the entire audio and establishing 1) what actually happened and 2) talking points and 3) deciding on mitigation strategies. I can understand why it took a full day

11. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Do you think we will ever hear it?

12. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Anfield have it atm, so we’re led to believe. Ooops, who leaked that again? LFC will release it, even if through back channels.

CB-West repped this.
  13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yes according to this, although waiting for a once-a-month tv show seems ludicrous. I expect it might get leaked.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ol-audio-relating-to-luis-diaz-gaffe-at-spurs
    The referees’ body, Professional Game Match Officials Ltd (PGMOL), has sent Liverpool the audio relating to the controversial VAR error that cost them a goal at Tottenham on Saturday. An interval review of the incident is ongoing but the relevant audio has been shared with Liverpool after the club formally requested a copy on Monday.

Liverpool were left seething over the failure of the VAR, Darren England, and assistant VAR, Dan Cook, to overturn the incorrect on-pitch decision to disallow Luis Díaz’s goal for offside, one that would have put them 1-0 up against Spurs having had Curtis Jones sent off following VAR intervention. They went on to lose the game 2-1, having also had Diogo Jota sent off, and, the following day, released a statement criticising PGMOL’s assessment that “significant human error” was to blame and calling for a wide-ranging, fully transparent review into the entire process. That was followed 24 hours later by a request for the audio that led to Díaz’s goal not being given to be released.

PGMOL was happy to do so in order to be as open and transparent as possible and provided Liverpool with the audio on Tuesday. The club are now in the process of reviewing it.

The audio is also likely to be released publicly and that could occur before it is potentially presented on Match Officials Mic’d Up, a monthly television programme hosted by former England striker Michael Owen and the PGMOL’s chief refereeing officer, Howard Webb, designed to display greater transparency around some of the biggest refereeing incidents and talking points. The next Mic’d Up show, which airs previously unheard audio between on-field officials and the VAR team at Stockley Park, is slated for the beginning of next week.

The last Mic’d Up show, aired last month, saw Webb admit that Simon Hooper, who was the referee at Tottenham on Saturday, should have awarded Wolves a penalty in their 1-0 defeat at Manchester United in August after Andre Onana clattered Sasa Kalajdzic in stoppage time of the game. Hooper and the VAR, Michael Salisbury, and assistant VAR, Richard West, were stood down from the following round of matches.

CB-West repped this.
  14. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    owian, newterp, ewibe and 2 others repped this.
  15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    jesus. ********ing clown show.

soccershaggy repped this.
  16. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And there it is..."can't do anything...can't do anything"
    Yes you bloody can!
    Stop the game - look at the monitor, explain the mistake, award Liverpool the goal...it's not that difficult!
    :mad:

LiverpoolFanatic and ewibe repped this.
  17. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    If the ref asks after every goal/no goal “Is there any reason to deny/allow the goal, on field decision is goal/no goal?” and VAR is forced to answer in the affirmative, that gets rid of all that.

18. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #593 zaqualung, Oct 3, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
    Unfortunately (the ugly freeze-framing aside) there's one glaring problem here - the game was played in the present, not the future, and these rules don't exist.

In formulating such a rule change the problem could easily be solved by saying that there isn't any duty beyond a simple reasonable evaluation of intent to be reckless. Beyond this, if people absolutely don't wish to get hurt they could choose to play chess or darts instead of football.

19. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    it is if you have been affixed by LocTite Super-Glue to the Protocol board.... ;)

20. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's called displaying a modicum of common sense... Yes there may be rules and guidelines regarding when VAR can contact the ref, but this is clearly an extraordinary situation. In such an instance you have to suck it up and do what is right. If you broke the guidelines, let there be a review afterwards and you'll be shown to be in the right. He just didn't want to, and I simply cannot see any reason or rationale other than stubbornness or fear of being shown to be a fool that England didn't do so. He was clearly told that he'd screwed up, knew it, but didn't have the fortitude or common sense to do the correct thing. Granted, had he done that, Tottenham might be sitting here demanding the tapes, but at least he'd be shown as doing the correct thing given the circumstances.

LiverpoolFanatic and newterp repped this.
  21. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Is there anyone here saying anything even remotely close to that? :rolleyes:

22. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    It was the VTR tech and not the VAR or assistant VAR is twigged the mistake. Wow.

23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This is essentially what I have been ranting about. In a nutshell. As to the "I don't think so answer to the question -

I don't even think anyone can even reasonably think so.

Anyway, time to let it go .... grrrrr.........

24. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Darts?

25. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club: