Tottenham vs. Arsenal [R] Pre/Dur/Post Match Thoughts

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Colm, Nov 8, 2004.

1. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    I don't really believe it!! We brought that defeat on ourselves! Henry's goal was a result of poor defending but the penalty?!! WTF were Robinson and Pamarot thinking?!!

2. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is kasey keller not starting? Robinson was horrible

3. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    Um... Kasey Keller isn't a Spurs player at the moment. Anyway, Robinson is a much better keeper.

Defensively we lost it. Three sloppy goals. There were some pluses though. I thought Carrick ruled midfield, Defoe's goal was incredible, Ziegler got stuck in, took some great set pieces and played Kanoute in a treat (although he gave the ball away for a goal), Brown had Vieira pissed off and took him out of the game, and Edman had a pretty good game. Unfortunately I don't really think Pamarot did too well.

We need to focus on Villa now. Get our squad together and really settle down as a team and put together a string of good games now that the excitement of the Arsenal match is over.

4. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Robinson let in 3 soft goals. The goal viera scored was shot right at him but he paniced and dove; the ball sailed right over him. Same thing, different angle v. pires. He paniced, dove to the ground, and pires scored. 2 very soft goals he let. Keller should of never been benched; hopefully he will be given another chance when he comes back

5. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    I know you're a big fan of Keller but it's really obvious to me (as a Tottenham fan that has watched them both a LOT) that Robinson is a better keeper. He's just had a bad day. Keller played in a Carling Cup match this season and looked so shaky it was unbelievable. They got Robinson in for the rest of the Carling Cup matches.

6. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Point taken i have not seen keller that much this year so ill concede to ur point. I just think robinson should of done better and if he did tottenham could of gotten the result

7. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a second, I thought we had improved our defense???? That was lemming-style suicidal defense! I can't believe we scored 4 against Arse-anal and couldn't even draw. F&%K!!!

8. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    Yeah...I cant decide if im more suprised we scored 4 goals or gave up 5....

9. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    You guys Let in So Many Goals because Santini is Gone. You need someone to sort out your defence.

10. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    Naybet was caught out to often today. Ziegler will develop into a good player, he is very direct. Cannot knock Robinson he has saved us many times this season especially in our wins at Newcastle & Everton. I was disappointed Mendes went off, not sure if he had a knock or whether Jol just wanted to put Davies out wide. It was good to see Edman back

I have the same feeling as last week, some positives came out of the game but the negatives was the defending.

Not sure if their was any trouble but as i was leaving the riot police moved in so I think trouble was about to happen

How people can call Henry a role model is unbelievable, he does not stop trying to wind people up. For example, at the end of the game, he went over to the quiet Arsenal fans, he turned and faced the Tottenham supporters & started waving goodbye. It only needed someone to run onto the pitch & hit him then we would have got punished for something he starts. I dont know why he didn't take the penalty, anyone know why?

11. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    I was also surprised and disappointed that Mendes went off. I honestly thought Davies was going to replace Brown, with Mendes slotting into Brown's position (because Brown was booked and couldn't really put himself about anymore). I thought Davies was disappointing.

12. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    When Davies came on he did not go out on the right wing much at all. He seemed to go into the centre an awful lot. I agree it would have been better if Mendes went into the centre & Brown to go off for Davies.

13. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    No trolling posts.

14. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    come on this was a good result. did anyone really expect us to beat arsenal? i'm all for blind faith, but if you were to look at it objectively we're talking about a team that's won the premiership, what 3 times in recent years, against a team that finishing above 10th was an achievement. arsenal has had a consistent management team for 8 years, we had 8* managers in that time.

we hadn't been scoring at all lately, jol comes in and we get 7 goals in two matches. sure the defense has looked shaky, but we know from the first part of the season, they can defend, and will do again. and seriously giving up 5 to arsenal isn't exactly an embarrassment. to put 4 past arsenal is a decent result at this point in the re-re-building.

* exaggerated for effect.

15. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    I think its time I put a theory to the test here.

Sendorange. The world is round

16. chriswalk27

chriswalk27 New Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Dalton Georgia
    I am much more upset with King today than Naybet. King looked awful and gave up two or three goals by his poor play alone. How in the hell do you run into your own keeper?? Seriously is he doped up to help his ailing knee??

Naybet's problems can be sorted out by not being so lax once in control of the ball at the back, just hoof it out of there every once and while and clear the pressure and let Brown chase the ball and get setup again.

Davies might need a change of address because he hasn't impressed all year and getting back to form shouldn't take this long should it??

Ziegler might save us a ton of money by not having to get Reid because I think Zeigler is the real deal and he and Edman look great on the left, just need to sort out the right side now as Pamarot might not be what we need at right back and Davies isn't getting the job done and Mendes is too good in the center of the park to waste him out wide, where he is less effective.

Also Keane is not getting the job done either and needs a long break so we can see how Kanoute and Defoe will do under Jol's new attacking system. Might have some added confidence after scoring today as well, first of the year in the league I believe.

Anyway, no time to panic but a few changes need to be made and the backline needs to clear the ball better and things will be fine.

17. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The game was awesome props to both teams! Whatta stunner from Defoe !

18. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Thats how the Game should be played.

This was Classic.

19. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    Ok, yes the game was good. But in the end, a loss is a loss and now thats 5 in a row I belive, and even though it is arsenal, they had not beaten us at the lane since may 5, 1999.

20. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    It seems Ledley was injured - he's not in the England squad for that very reason.

21. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    Ledley has been our best player for the last 2 years, he hasn't made hardly any mistakes & has been 1st class all season so i am not really upset with King. It was just unfortunate he made them in this game

22. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    You rang the tabloid and asked them if they had indeed run this picture? Or you asked your mates if any of them could remember seeing one?

Why would they? Im sure there are more interesting things to put on the back pages that a transfer deal that may or may not have been in the works at some point in the past...

Just a random link. No its not proof. Short of asking Paul myself I cant provide that. But it does prove that rick isnt just making it up to annoy you - though that must have have been tempting for him

http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1860-1094056,00.html

23. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Wow -- what a heartbreaker! On the edge of my seat the whole match. From a 'fan of the game' pov it was one of the best matches I've seen in the Prem. in a while.

Obviously I wish we could have gotten a draw or full points -- however, we played with a lot of spirit and overall we played well enough to beat most clubs in the league -- hopefully we can take that forward against Villa and 'Pool.

Our midfield looked good most the match, especially the first half and gave service to our strikers. Ziegler is a real gem. Mendes played well and I was dissappointed to see him come off for Davies who came on and did nothing. Brown played the best I've seen him this season.

Yeah, our defense was dodgy -- so was Arsenal's. Glad to have Edman back. King had an off-match and so did Robinson and Paramot. I saw Naybet clear a lot of dangerous balls out of the area and he looked good over all.

And wow -- what a shot from Defoe. And Kings header was something else -- surrounded by three defenders who all jumped higher than he did and he still managed to put it in the back of the net.

24. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Careful Dave_M, you are giving him the cold sweats. :)

I almost feel sorry for Spurs fans today. This game must have been heart-wrenching to watch. At least they lost with some swagger rather than 1-0.

25. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    Just wondering, while watching the game I thought I heard a song about Santini but all I could make out (I think) was "Santini woahhhh Santiani woaahhh" anbody know what was being sung? Rick?