Tottenham vs. Arsenal [R] Pre/Dur/Post Match Thoughts

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Colm, Nov 8, 2004.

1. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    I'm not so sure Davies will be playing - he's been less than impressive. I thought Mendes was good on the right and Brown and Carrick in the middle worked well.

I've heard the ideal central midfield partnership Jol has in mind is Davis and Carrick.

2. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    It is possible that Brown will play, he played his best game for us against Vieira last season.

Carrick & Davis will be a very good partnership

3. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Yeah its highly unlikely to be honest. The whole reason the reserves are playing in the League Cup at the moment is in an attempt to keep the team rested as best as possible for the EPL, FA CUP (eventually), and CL.

I was at the Everton game though and while the kids have got a lot of talent, its still very raw. We were lucky to get the result we did. A lot of defensive errors that sooner or later would get found out, and Spurs are capable of doing just that.

As for the result. History favours the draw at the lane, and so its the most probable result...

4. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Oh my god rick. What a stupid comment!

:rolleyes:

5. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

I was trying to be nice. To be honest I hope they......etc etc!!

I agree with you that history favours a draw though.....

6. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That looks like a good team, did you see Zieglers left foot? it was amazing, as i think Lehmann is a weak link in the Arsenal team i think it would be cool if Ziegler were to take the free kicks.

7. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is bad news! Ledley has been carrying an injury and may not even play, let alone be fullly fit... Edman is not certain to play or to be 100% either, he had 60 minutes for the reserves but he's been out for weeks so can't be sharp.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/football/articles/14666231?source=Evening

Good news is that Defoe, Keano and Jol are well up for it :cool:

The scum are awful at defending set pieces, there's a school of thought that it might be worth playing Kanoute to expose them even further on this.

I heard it's looking like Redknapp will play in the middle with Carrick, Mendes on the right again.

8. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    That would be a major disaster if Ledley doesn't play. I think he will be O.K. though. Edman is likely to play, if not Taricco as Kelly & Bunjevcevic is out. I would also prefer Brown to play instead of Redknapp

It was interesting to hear Robbie Keane talking about Jol he said:

"He is good to work with, he is a straightforward guy who is honest and will tell you how he feels. For a player that is good, you want to hear things and will want to know if you are left out or whatever - he will come and speak to you.
    "He is someone who is respected by all the lads, not only now he's the manager but from when he first came. His training sessions have been good and he always goes out of his way to speak to you."

9. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    JD has also been full of praise for Martin Jol and critised Santini's tactics a bit too.

10. chriswalk27

chriswalk27 New Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Dalton Georgia
    If you were a striker with us you would praise the new man too. Tell him to keep up the attacking play and what not.

As for King being a sratch that is very bad news. Although I would rather keep him out of this clash and have him for the rest of Nov. and Dec. than injury him more severely just to play against the scum.

I read somewhere that Kelly got hurt and Jol thinks the left back position at Spurs is jinxed. When did the injury happen and do you guys think the position is jinxed?? Just to help these players have been injuried while playing left back I believe; Edman, Gardner, Tano, Kelly,and Bunje and Ziege with the same strange problem.

11. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In the Burnley game Kelly somehow broke his thumb and got a concussion, he still played to the end though so god knows how it happened.

All our left backs have been knackered. Atouba was apparently also due to play there for one game a few weeks ago, but picked up one of his injuries in training beforehand.

12. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Is Tano available? And can Ziegler play LB? I think we can guess where the Arse attack's are going to centre on.

13. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    Tano is available and Ziegler has played left back (Jol mentioned it somewhere I think) so those are two possibilities. I wouldn't be surprised to see Edman back. The only good thing I can say is Pires hasn't been playing too well at right wing (not to mention too much falling over and pissing off the French FA) and I've never been all that impressed with Freddy Ljungberg so at least it's not like Reyes will be running at them.

14. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    I think it will be Edman & Ziegler down the left. If Ziegler was to play left back that means Jackson will likely play left midfield so hopefully Edman is O.K. to play.

What we need to watch is Henry going over to our right side where Pamarot is & Naybet is also the right sided centre back. We need to get Defoe up against Cygan. Zieglers corners is going to be a major factor to, he put over some great corners against Burnley.

Also hopefully the atmosphere will be like the last North London derby at the Lane. I saw Ledley King & Robbie Keane say that was the best atmosphere they have ever played in.

15. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  16. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    That's a good article.

My only gripe is the bit about Robinson. He says Wenger didn't sign Robinson when he had the chance... yet the guy goes on to point out they have Lehman in goal who's always up for losing his temper and letting the side down. As for the athleticism of Robinson, he pulls off extremely good saves, he is always quick, alert and off his line when he needs to. What more athleticism does someone want from a keeper? The ability to run home after the game?

17. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

Not to piss on Robinson, as I personally think he is a good keeper and has a good attitude, but he had a trial at London Colney last June and failed his reflex test. It wasn't his fitness.

18. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    I'd never heard that - the guy just mentioned his fitness and then went on about how Wenger is after athleticism.

I still think he is easily England's No. 1.

19. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's false. Robinson did not attend any medical or any other test at Arsenal. As I pointed out to you before. Rustu Recber the Turkish goalkeeper was at Arsenal and failed a medical over his back.

The club that Robinson was heavily involved with over the summer was Villa, who he rejected over personal terms.

20. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    If you were to ask him to do that he would. ENGLANDS NO.1

We have alot of players playing in their 1st Tottenham/Arsenal game: Robinson, Pamarot, Edman, Naybet, Mendes, Carrick & Ziegler.

Premiership derbies at the Lane...
    April 25, 2004: Spurs 2, Arsenal 2
    December 12, 2002: Spurs 1, Arsenal 1
    November 17, 2001: Spurs 1, Arsenal 1
    December 18, 2000: Spurs 1, Arsenal 1
    November 7, 1999: Spurs 2, Arsenal 1
    May 5, 1999: Spurs 1, Arsenal 3
    December 28, 1997: Spurs 1, Arsenal 1
    February 15, 1997: Spurs 0, Arsenal 0
    November 18, 1995: Spurs 2, Arsenal 1
    January 2, 1995: Spurs 1, Arsenal 0
    August 16, 1993: Spurs 0, Arsenal 1
    December 12, 1992: Spurs 1, Arsenal 0

21. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

With respect Sendorange, Robinson DID have a trial at London Colney. If you ever bump into him, ask him. There was also a pic of him leaving the training ground in one of the tabloids last summer..... Not to mention I know about the trial as I was told about it from someone who works for the club.

22. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know someone who already has from TopSpurs, a regular at the club's training ground. Robbo laughed and said it was total rubbish.

There is also no photograph of any kind proving this, I should know as the last time you tried to claim this I looked into it. Furthermore if there was any evidence or even a proven source claiming it the tabloids would be bringing it up every 5 minutes, working it as an angle. There is as much truth to this as the lowest form of 15 minute story from the Mirror who on the same day claimed Joe Cole was moving from West Ham to Barcelona or Milan.

I suggest you get better and more reliable sources. If I had a quid for every time I've heard something which turned out to be rubbish from someone who claims to have been "told by someone who works for the club" then I would be richer than Abramovich.

23. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    To:Spurs
    RE:The Game tomrorrow

We want a well played game. We want a win. And we want to break people's legs.

24. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    I don't know why but I'm optmistic regarding this game! I hope we can put in a good performance (hopefully the players would want to play well to impress the new manager). But Ars*nal will be looking to get into good form after some disappointing results of late.

I'd say a draw. :)

25. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    You're not policing this thread very well, Double.

A big ol' Gooner like myself shouldn't be able to just walk in here and say..

I suck, Arsenal Sucks, Wenger touches little boys, and so does Henry.

How's that for policing?