Tottenham vs. Arsenal [R] Pre/Dur/Post Match Thoughts

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Colm, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    HUGE game on saturday, We need the points badly and so do the Scum, It'll be Jol's first League in charge since he was appointed head coach and it couldn't get any bigger, a draw favours this fixture but i'm going to go with a 2-1 win for us.

COME ON YOU SPURS! :D

YID ARMY! YID ARMY!

2. chriswalk27

chriswalk27 New Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Dalton Georgia
    I think you would be crazy to say anything other than a draw at best for us. Sure the scum aren't playing well but they will get it back together and I just hope they wait a week before they start putting up those 3-0 and 4-1 scorelines on teams again.

Although watching spurs attack like we know our team can once Carrick came on was a great thing to watch so if we can produce something like that for 75 minutes instead of 30 would make it tough for them to get anything other than a draw.

3. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes my son :cool:

4. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    And then sendorange woke up.....

Seriously though, it will be a tough game, I hope there is no trouble... :rolleyes: and that it is a draw.

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    rickbreese go to the A*senal forum if you want to make stupid comments. It does amuse me that you complained about comme and others allegedly misbehaving, and yet here you are looking to provoke a reaction already.

TheDouble can we have this thread policed more strictly than the other game threads? I think it's obvious the less well-mannered A*senal fans will jump in here and look to be disruptive given half a chance, best to swat them early on so we can keep this on track.

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    My blind faith is still intact even after our horrendous run. Hopefully we can get a bit of confidence back at Burnley tonight, and come out all guns blazing as we finished against Charlton on Saturday. If ever Jol had a chance to get off to a great start as manager it would be to beat Arsenal.

However, the last time someone had such a start (Hoddle) in resulted in us losing and our captain and second best player leaving to join the scum.

7. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    A very tough game for us, as we're in transition. I'd take a draw. A win would be fantasy and might make some of us yids think we've turned the corner, and anyway, a loss wouldn't be so bad. We are talking about a team that's just come off a 49 League games unbeaten streak, which is phenomenal.

I'd take a draw. Both teams will be well up for this.

8. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    The atmosphere is going to be amazing as usual for North London derbies at the Lane. It will be a new experience for many of our players although players like Robinson, Edman, Mendes & Naybet have played in some great stages, players like Pamarot, & Ziegler havent really

9. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to be a tough match. Both need the win to get their season back on track. I don't think a draw will do either much good.

10. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    We can win this game. This is as good as chance as any. We need to put pressure on Lemon (I mean Lehmann) again, & Defoe to terrorise Cygan. They have not got a defense like Chelsea. We will get chances against Arsenal & we need to take them

YID ARMY!

11. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I feel Lehmann is underrated. Seaman left a massive gap when he left, and Lehmann is not the player Seaman was, but then, what GK is?!! Occasionally his positioning lets him down (witness the three conceded against Boro), but on the whole (and excusing his woeful temper), he's not bad.

Cygan, on the other hand, is crap. Hoyte would be a far better defender to put up against us. Our attacks must centre on the Frenchman. Our main problem is getting the damn ball through the midfield (and off the Arse players!) and up to our, lets face it, pretty damn amazing strikers. If Keano and Defoe can reproduce their, ahem, League Cup form they can match anyone and give any defenders multitudes of problems.

COME ON YOU SPURS!

12. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    I get a real good feeling about this game. Hopefully the team can come together and play well. Sounds like they did well in the League Cup, hopefully that will be a confidence booster.

Robbie Keane is also starting to score and play well. Carrick has also been very impressive.

ehhh...1-1....very good match though. I know you can never overlook this game, but arsenal does have a big champions league game comming up.

13. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Arse's U21 team have beaten Man Citeh's first XI and now Everton's first XI in the League Cup. They're good. I think some of it is down to the opposition not knowing how the youngsters are going to play, but still. What's basically a youth and reserve team are beating established Premiership teams.

The future looks bleak......

14. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is why Frank and the technical director system with Jol as coach is so important for us. Look at how promising Ziegler has been, and he's only 18 and been with us since transfer deadline day, not even time to settle in. Without Frank we would not have found a youngster like that, let alone so cheap and so capable.

Davenport has been top class at West Ham, even though that must be a very unusual situation for him.

We've also got the 5 players in the England U-17 squad including U16 captain Leigh Mills and the likes of Defendi and Frank's other young boys (Silva who has started looking a bright prospect, Dilevski as well).

Phil Ifil has shown his ability in the Premiership this season at 17 years old, the coaches and Frank haven't been shy about giving him first teamexperience. And has played up to 4 years above his age group for England as a youngster.

Will take a few years for all of Frank's work to take full effect, but we're already seeing the start of it now and he hasn't even been here 6 months! Saw on THTV a fortnight ago that he was also out working with the junior school kids coaches as well (U-9's, U-11's etc), making sure their training is as moden and technical as possible.

15. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    It would be so interesting if we get them in the next round. Not sure what sort of team Wenger would put out against us, i would guess it would be a mixed team with youth & experience.

16. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish is was our U21 team against you Sat. b/c our first XI haven't been putting it together well lately. Still believe we can take it, but it will be a tough close match.

17. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Any kind of result is great, but it's the performance I'm looking for. Not much point in winning if it's from a dive or a fluke, victories should be earned and deserved.

On saturday I want to see 11 hungry players in a good tactical formation playing the right kind of football. It's year one of Frank and Jol, I don't expect wins in the biggest games yet particularly as the squad has a few holes to be filled and some deadwood to be shipped out and replaced, as long as the club is moving in the right direction playing-wise I'm happy.

All being well this would be Carrick playing from the start again, Keane and Defoe to take another step forward as a partnership, Ziegler will benefit from playing and the management will see firsthand how important and aggressive these games are played.

18. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    My only worry is Ar*enal send out the squad that played today against Everton, average age 19.something -- they dominated the match against a good, full strenght Everton side. Of course they won't do that.

Personally as long as we play really well on Saturday as a team and knock in at least one goal, I'll be happy reguardless the result. I'm predicting a tie 2-2. I'm much more concerned we get full points in our upcoming league fixtures after Saturday -- thats critical.

I'll be arriving at my pub at 4:30am to catch the match live -- the only bad thing is that they can't legally serve beer until 6am! :(

Malk

19. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    i have been complaining about having to get up by 8:00am on a Saturday, i am not complaining anymore :)

20. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    I'll probably just party all night and go in half drunk :)

21. chriswalk27

chriswalk27 New Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Dalton Georgia

:) Now that is a Spurs fan.

Wish I didn't have to get up at 7 in the morning but hey true fans will miss a little sleep for their club.

22. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I've got a seminar on Saturday with the world experts on my subject. Sadly I will have to sack that off for an hour to watch the game (we are supposed to have lunch 1-2).

23. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    I'll be getting up at 5am Denver time to watch this one..... My wife is going to think I've completely lost it. Oh wait, she already knows I've lost it from seeing me during the World Cup.

24. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    Stephen Kelly is out of the game after he somehow broke his finger & got concussion towards the end of the Burnley game.

Edman is back so the likely team will be:

--------------Robinson

Pamarot--King(C)---Naybet--Edman

Davies--Mendes--Carrick--Ziegler

--------Defoe----Keane

25. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003