Tottenham vs Arsenal 22/4 pre/post match talk

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Colm, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wenger is scared of Jol...you can see it :D

2. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    How funny would it have been to see Jol headbutt Wenger? At least get him in a head-lock or something!

3. pylon

pylon New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Chi-Det corridor
    Damn! Beat me to that joke:D I had it all loaded up. Something like "He usually doesn't see incidents involving HIS players, does he?"

4. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    For the second time of the season, we have shown the world that we are the best team in North London. The tide has turned my friends, it truly has. The football we played for the first hour was exquisite, lacking only the additional goals that we so thoroughly deserved. Only the most blinkered Arsenal fan (or the most clueless of tabloid journalists) will dare suggest that after today's performance we do not deserve to be in the Champions League.

It was a good equaliser by the great (and soon to be departing) player that is Henry - albeit after a little help by our lion-hearted (but lead-footed) right back. But our young team battled valiantly until the end after having been reduced to 10 men. For some reason I just knew that Davids would raise his game for this derby. He battled, he tackled and provided the killer pass, showing that although his legs might be going, his desire is still burning as hot as ever. It was even fitting that he received a red card at the end - finishing the game like he has always played it - dogged, determined, physical and uncompromising.

Carrick was imperial in the middle of the park. If I haven't outright said it before, I will now: this man needs to start for England. No, he shouldn't be an "option" for "some games." He should start. Which one out of Beckham, Gerrard or Lampard needs to make way I do not know, but there is just no one better than Carrick at absorbing pressure, disrupting the opposing side's attacks and threading in those long passes from deep. His one forray forward was a thing of beauty and the football Gods will forever regret not giving him that little bit of luck he needed to score. In his calm, languid style he eliminated 4 defenders and the keeper, only to be denied by the side-netting.

Dawson will become one of the best defenders in the world. Right now, I'd say he's second only to John Terry in terms of presence and aerial ability. Defenders like Campbell, Ferdinand and King rely on skill and pace, but Dawson is a true English-style defender in the Terry Butcher mould. Aaron Lennon was so good, I think he might be going to the World Cup instead of Wright-Phillips. You know Sven is thinking about it. A couple more performances like this and he'll be getting his passport ready.

I can't wait for Tainio to be given a run in the side in the place of Davids. He will develop into quite a threat, if given the chance. And what is there left to say about Robbie Keane? My pick for player of the season and in absolutely red-hot form. Defending, holding, playng in midfield when needed and popping up at the right place at the right time. I'll take this chance to confess that I was one of those idiots who claimed "not to be bothered" if he left for Everton this past summer. Oh, how wrong I was. He has been the glue that has bound this team together this season and the point of reference for our determination and drive.

Yes, it was only a draw. Yes, we still have a lot to do in order to claim 4th place and that spot in the Champions League. But this game has calmed my nerves. We were by far the better team, and if we can only carry this new-found form forward, I see no problems defeating the likes of Bolton and West Ham. Now, we do need a target man up front, but once Jol supplies this and a few other pieces of the puzzle, we will be a force to reckon with on the European stage. Arsenal have had their time. Ours is just around the corner. The future is bright, my brothers, it's Lillywhite...

5. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    Carrick was our man of the match, he has shown that he can take the game to the opponents rather than just sit back and pick his passes. That is the second time in the last two games that he has shown he can dribble with the ball.

Dawson was solid along with Gardner. I thought Stalteri was fouled but he does feck about like that all the time. Lee was good down the left, Tainio played well, he had a couple of half chances. Robbie Keane was very good aswell, he does the donkey work as well as score goals.

I thought it was a mistake taking Lennon off, he was the biggest danger down the right.

We did deserve more than a point but it's not too bad.

6. tapper

tapper New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I lost my head earlier...let me be the first to ask/point out. Bolton have a maximum of 61 points right? Well, if so, we just officially PUNCHED OUR TICKET TO EUROPE!!!!!

We must beat Bolton...what's good enough to get us 4th? I said over 65 points gets us there about 4 weeks ago. Could 66 points (win and draw) be enough? Or are we going to need 68?

Good lord...we have 62 points...you're right, it IS a good day.

7. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    If assnal win their game in hand we have to win both of our remaining matches to make sure.

We're 4 points ahead with 2 games to play. They have three games left.

8. tapper

tapper New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the math :). But I'm asking how people think it will actually play out. You think Arsenal win their final three?

They have mighty Sunderland next! That would be almost too funny if it happened...suppose it won't though.

They have to be getting tired with two games a week, I could see them playing without energy in one of the remaining three and getting held.

I predicted 66 would do it...I'm sticking by that...though i'm with you. Lets get 68 just to be safe :)

9. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    Ah right. Sorry, I took the full dosage of stupid pills. lol.

Personally. I have a nagging feeling we'll draw one of the game. However, I think the Citeh game for assnal is a potential stumbling block and they will drop points.

I'd be willing to put a chunk of money on both assnal and us winning all remaining matches. I honestly believe we'll get 4th.

I've actually had a 2K bet with a gooner friend of mine which I made when very merry and he was giving it large since February. So we better bloody finish 4th! :mad:

10. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    :eek:
    Flash git. You couldn't lend some money to an old pauper could ya? I'll pay you back honestly.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Can we see a repeat of the Liverpool/Everton fiasco of last year? What did UEFA and the FA finally decide moving forward about the CL champion? If Spurs finish fourth in the EPL and the Gunners finish fifth - but win the CL, do Spurs still get their CL qualifying spot?

12. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If the case does happen then Arsenal will get the champions league and we'll be put into the Uefa cup.

13. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

No. UEFA have changed the rules, only Arsenal will get a CL spot.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And yet, somehow an exception was made last year. Once again UEFA comes out smelling like raw sewage. Even the World Cup champions now have to qualify. I really hope Tottenham don't get bit in the ass by this rule.

15. tapper

tapper New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You put 2K on Spurs not breaking hearts at the close of the season? If you wanted to give away your money...at least give it to me :) .

And here I thought I was angry when Henry scored...you must have been livid...that was a trip to the bank all set up for you. I'll bet you were making a deposit form out. :)

You know, if we still manage 4th (and I think its going to be very dramatic at least), its somewhat scary to think about all the points we've dropped in a different light.

If we manage to get the results that our play has deserved this season, Spurs are closer to 2nd than 4th. This team can play some great football. We just need that ice cold finisher who makes sure we get what we deserve.

Oh, and a non-calamatous right back would be nice too (read: TRABELSI for the love of God). And a left winger if its not too much to ask...maybe you can pony up 2K for the transfer fund?

16. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    The fact that we've done all this so far without ANY left side to speak all season is amazing. We'd have the 4th spot in our comfortably pocket by now if we had a LW.

If we could get Andy Johnson form Boro or Wilhelmssen, I'll gladly pony up the dough.

17. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    :D If we don't get 4th my wife will probably dump my worthless behind.. It's been squeaky bum time for weeks now.

18. SpursGlory

SpursGlory Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say I agree completely... that game was ours for the taking with 7 minutes to go. But yes we all would've been happy with a draw... we pretty much have to win the last two now though. Walking out of Highbury with a win aqnd 3 pts would've been nice and made our lives a little easier going into the last two.

Wenger has always been a whiney wanker... he finally got put in his place by Jol though LMAO! And let's face it Arse fans... your team wouldn't have stopped play with that advantage.... the ref was right there and called it for what it was... and they both got up as soon as they realized play continued.

Good job Spurs... we're still in 4th, let's finish strong end it there.

19. OrlandoSPUR

OrlandoSPUR **** the Nomads

Apr 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    ...the worst irony will be if West Shambles ruin our dream.

Although I love MJ, he does need to work on his tactical awareness, taking Lennon off and not Davids turned out to be foolish. But just the fact that he put uneeded pressure on the defence by having us sit back letting them come at us. Why? Carrick was controlling the middle with ease, but subbing Lennon lost an avenue for pace and a way to stretch the field, Flamini couldn't handle him. Like I said before the game, we will be put to the sword if we don't go out to win. So its a bit disappointing as I really thought Spurs were going to have the satisfaction of winning the last North London Derby at that ************ relic of a ground.

In fact I think we'll be better suited to playing them at the Ashburton Dump, as the pitch will be regulation, rather than that ridiculous schoolboy pitch.

And for the scum to complain that we should have kicked the ball out because a couple of retards ran into each other is a joke, and then they booed when I think Dawson cracked skulls with Adebyour (sp). :rolleyes: nobs.

So at the end of the day I am happy we didn't lose, but I fear our CL dreams will be ruined by those knuckle dragging morons from East London.

20. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    Disagree. Lennon and Keane were doing their best impression of "I play for assnal" for 5 minutes. They kept on giving the ball away.

You could see Lennon was knackered.

21. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didn't get to see the match(no more footy channel )but when i saw the result @soccernet.com i was pleased...until i saw all of these post's...sounds like we should have won...:rolleyes: at least we didn't lose...

22. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    This is the post of the... weekend. The rest of you need to read this and shut the fuck up. It's ours to lose this year. And we haven't even got a full squad yet.

23. OrlandoSPUR

Apr 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    ...how dare you disagree :p

24. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    That's right - I went there! :D

Two more wins.

COYS!!!!

25. OrlandoSPUR

Apr 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    ...if there is a football god....I'm awaiting some neg rep from the gooners from my last posting over there. You'd have thought it was their deserved right to beat Tottenham, how they are reacting. :D Wankers.