Tottenham v Man City - 21 Nov - PL

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by pookspur, Nov 21, 2020.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ninja:

2. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    You just have to go back to the corresponding fixture from last season...and the NLD and our final home game last season against Leicester City.

Even Poch did it from time to time, notably against Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund at Wembley.

3. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Just one goal against (that should have been disallowed) in the last 4 games. Our defensive play has massively improved from earlier in the season, we have cut out the bonehead errors that were costly in earlier games (not picking players like Sanchez and Winks helps in that regard).The fact that Dele can not even make the squad and that it is not even remotely a concern is quite remarkable.

4. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    If we win the league under Mourinho, I will be the first to issue a John Cleese style apology...

5. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Come to think of it, if they ever do a Jose Mourinho movie (surely Daniel Levy has discussed the movie rights with the Amazon people), Kevin Kline would be a perfect Mourinho. And how does John Cleese's tie defy the laws of gravity in that scene?

6. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Match stats

Possession: 34-66
    Shots: 4-22
    Corners: 0-10
    Crosses: 1-19
    Touches in opp. box: 9-51
    Mike Dean ironic expressions: 17

7. GeorgeBest9

GeorgeBest9 Red Card

Oct 26, 2020
    I was always confused as to why Poch didn't use the 3-4-3 counter attack against Dortmund a lot more.

Conte won a league with it.

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back in the day, when when Windows was set up for sound on booting up and shutting down, I used that as my shutdown sound.

BalanceUT repped this.
  9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Alright ... you kids can all have your laughs ... grandpa pook doesn't know how to copy/paste ... he has a flip phone - and can't even work that right ... his camera uses film ... he needs help from his niece to upload a photo ...

... but at least I know how a fookin' tie-clip works. :cool:

Golara and BalanceUT repped this.
  10. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Quite correct. 180 fruitless minutes against Harry Redknapp's airtight catenaccio.* Still, when I think about that game, what comes first to mind are 1) Lennon-to-Crouchie's goal and 2) [better still :D] Gennaro Gattuso' s meltdown. How great was that?!

*granted, the extra man in the Swiss/Italian 'door bolt' wasn't typically a d-mid, but you get the point.

Lazy Assed Assassin repped this.
  11. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there was one man in the football universe that would've stood up to Gattuso, it was Joe Jordan, and he happened to be on our sideline. [emoji16]

Love Joe.

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I had forgotten about that. What an amazing sight.

13. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know we are first in the League, etc... but Mourhino is toxic... mark my words.

14. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand by my feelings about Mourinho. IMO, he is a completely toxic narcissist. He may elevate the team for a season, but it will come crashing down as fast as he builds it because of his horrid personality. I believe it is a virtual certainty that he will be gone before the start of the 2022-23 campaign.

soccernutter repped this.
  15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this, but I'm surprised at what he has done this season. I did not expect Spurs to be at the top of the table.

BalanceUT repped this.
  16. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I've been completely tuned out. Between managing my classes completely online and my disregard for Mourinho, I've not paid more than occasional attention by checking the standings. Seeing us in 2nd, and now top... weird. Unexpected... and it's a long ways to May, if the season even finishes with COVID rampaging again.

soccernutter repped this.
  17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Apparently Joe (who is Scottish) had been abusing Gattuso in Scottish (Scots Gaelic?) throughout the game. Gattuso played at Rangers for a bit and his wife is Scottish, so he understood - at least well enough. I saw a (subtitled) interview with him (Gattuso) a bit later, and he came off ok ... admitted that Joe'd gotten to him and that he'd been reacting poorly to a match that had gotten quite physical.

Football Fight and Furious Moments - AC Milan vs Tottenham Hotspur 2011 - YouTube

And criminy, he wasn't wrong about that. I'd remembered Flamini's horror-tackle on Corluka, but I'd forgotten just how rough the rest of it was. Some really heavy stuff going down there - and not just from them. Crouch, Dawson, Palacios, and Pineaar all putting serious elbows and boots in. I mean, Gattuso always played rough - and he's the one who lost his shit - but he probably wasn't the worst of it on the day, to be fair.

electrickeeper repped this.
  18. GeorgeBest9

GeorgeBest9 Red Card

Oct 26, 2020
    He has a lack of empathy when it comes to things such as Dele Alli.

However, I genuinely believe that United gave him a contract at the wrong time and didn't back him as they said they would. If Levy can avoid these pitfalls he could win things longer with us than at United and Chelsea (second stint). Even if he only wins a league or a Europa League in two years with us, it will go down better than at those clubs.

In short, we need trophies, so his shortcomings in having awareness to help certain talented players learn new skills are more forgiven by the fans even though those players are unjustly scapegoated. Some of his bitterness is justified and stems from a lack of recognition. Some of it, and I believe with Dele and Rose, is not.

19. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Dele hasn't performed, therefore, he hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt. At the same time, the Kane-Son partnership is as good as ever, Dier has become our best CB, Ndombele - who some feared would never work well with Mourinho - is now an automatic starter, and we're grinding out wins against Burnley, Brighton, and Man City which wouldn't have happened in the last 18 months under Poch. I'm still a huge fan of Poch but this is reality.

I think the real source of the frustration isn't Mourinho himself, but the style. Fans were accustomed to us being the protagonist in every match under Poch and they're still trying to adjust their eyes. The approach now to shithouse and troll our way to the top and people can't understand why it's working. Even little things like not insisting that Lloris play the ball out from the back is an example of a tactic that people still haven't wrapped their heads around.

Still early days guys. I'd take the table with massive grains of salt right now...except if you're Sheffield, Fulham, West Brom or Burnley.

pookspur and soccernutter repped this.
  20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that how Chelsea won the title in Mourinho's second stint?

adrenaline11 repped this.
  21. GeorgeBest9

GeorgeBest9 Red Card

Oct 26, 2020
    I'm sorry but that's bullshit. The likes of Dele and Rose have not performed worse than other players he has inherited. Guess why Dier has improved? He was played consistently and believed in even when he was shit.

Most fans feared his style but I guess I never agreed with most fans. I agree it is still early days. The real test is coming up against Chelsea.

22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Not sure I'm on board with that. Danny Rose has been very poor. He couldn't get a game with Newcastle and he has no potential buyers at anywhere near our level. Pochettino had problems with him and there's no evidence to my mind that suggests any issue that Danny Rose has with his manager is automatically down to the manager. Whatever skills he may possess, diplomacy isn't one of them. Dele, on the other hand, has been given minutes - and in a few different roles - and he's just not impressed. I don't dislike Dele, and I know there's a very good player in there; but he doesn't seem to work with how Mourinho wants to play.

Conversely, there have been players like Ndombele and Bergwijn who I've thought Mourinho didn't want and yet who, over time, have worked their way back into his plans and are playing meaningful roles.

If you want examples of a new manager who came in, didn't like what he saw, and refused to take a second look, consider Mourinho's (deservedly) beloved predecessor. Poch f*cked off Lennon, Kaboul, Capoue, and Dawson before the paint was dry on his office door. A couple of those names had done a lot for our club. But why, in the end, doesn't matter. That's just the way it works in football sometimes. Mourinho's a douche, and it's an understatement to say that he's got priors when it comes to being douchey with players. But I'm really not seeing a lot of evidence of it with us thus far. I'll acknowledge it with Ndombele early on, but at this point it's hard to say that it's been to the detriment of either the player or the team.

I want all of our players to succeed. Maybe Dele will come good yet, but I can't blame the manager for not holding the team's progress up in order for him to do so.

electrickeeper repped this.
  23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I never really paid much attention to JM's antics in the past. I watch for the players, not the managers. (I did like his puppet show, though.) So not having any strong preconceptions, I am not bothered by JM so far. Every manager is going to be a dick some time. Not everyone gets to play.

Re Dele and Rose, I love 'em both. Rose just never got his form back after the last injury. Dele just isn't in the best 18 right now. If he was, then one of Bergwyn, Moura, Bale, Ndombele or lo Celso would be out. That's a lot of talent to beat out. If we have a couple injuries (as we inevitably do), Dele should be right back in the squad.

24. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Then the question you should ask is who should sit so that those two can get in the team.

pookspur and electrickeeper repped this.
  25. mekarshalev

mekarshalev Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i very much hated mou for his chelski and manure stints but i think so far he behaves almost perfectly!