Toronto's name is...

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by Brian in Boston, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, but that wasn't widely known at first, and people still ask that question.

2. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, whatever.

That name is awesome. It's slick, professional, and appeals to the vast number of International soccer fans in Toronto.

Good job MLSE. :cool:

3. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean the Rapids have to give up the uniforms?

4. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    That is so bad it makes Real Salt Lake sound like music to my ears. Atrocious.

5. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    CORRECTION: How the hell are we going to distinguish NORTH AMERICAN soccer.

6. tguy24

tguy24 Member

Nov 26, 2005
    As a Torontonian i like the name and most toronto soccer fans will like it aswell. But the official name should in the full form; International Toronto Football Club and later shorten for press and advertisement reasons to Inter Toronto F.C.

7. 10101010101

10101010101 New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think it's just okay. If they would have gone with International Toronto FC, then it wouldn't be such a lame ripoff. At least it would support the 'international city' theme. Inter and FC are just nonsense words without the meaning behind them.

I think Toronto International FC rolls off the tongue pretty smoothly.

8. tguy24

tguy24 Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Why does N.A. soccer have to be distinguish, do you think we might forget that we are in N.A.?

9. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i was more pointing out that this isn't a canadian league and it isn't an american team. it's a north american league. garbers "merge with MFL" leanings play into the whole "north american" league rather than "american" or "canadian".

their current ad campaign says otherwise of course, but the direction the league is actually taking, (by adding competitions with mexican and canadian clubs) says NORTH AMERICAN.

10. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unlike houston and new york at least they have a year to get better jerseys
    unless they decide to change the name at the last minute

11. tguy24

tguy24 Member

Nov 26, 2005
    MLS here we come

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

12. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    It's much better than any "American style" nicknames.

13. tguy24

tguy24 Member

Nov 26, 2005
    ^^ Agreed

We have the Lynx if we ever need and N.A. nickname :D

14. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed 1000%.

Besides, the Canadians who have posted in this thread all seem to really like the name, so that's what matters.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we are rumored to be going back to green next season, if so, they can have the blue and black (Though I like the idea of green and black vertical stripes)

16. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the media make fun of the name and MLS in general then don't complain, because MLS is asking for it.

17. Bjorn Taroque

Bjorn Taroque New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    I tell ya, MLS seems hell-bent on making it harder and harder to support.

"Real Salt Lake vs. Inter Toronto FC." Good grief, how minor-league can you get? I'm not saying you need an American-style name, but why the blatant rip-off of existing, established, distinguished clubs?

Let's make some of our own history here. What's wrong with "Toronto FC?" or even "Toronto International?" I wouldn't even care if that eventually became "Inter" for short. But to make the official name "Inter Toronto FC" is just bush-league.

18. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Good. Bring it on. Soccer names are different than regular American sports league names, and that's a good thing.

19. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    Not what I would have chosen (actually, I'm not sure what I would have chosen, I just think I could have come up with something better), but I don't instantly hate it like I did with Real Salt Lake.

And come on, of course the media will make fun of it. Just like they did with Houston 1836. And Houston Dynamo. And Real Salt Lake. And Chivas USA. And most of the other names too. It's just like here on BigSoccer: no matter what name is chosen, some segment of the audience will contend that the name is the worst in the history of sport. We'll all get used to it eventually; I no longer think the name "Tampa Bay Rowdies" is unusual.

20. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Oh, and the whois search is more proof:

Registrant:

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd
    40 Bay St. Suite 600
    Toronto, ON M5J 2X2
    CA

Domain Name: INTERTORONTOFC.COM

Administrative Contact , Technical Contact :
    Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd
    sasha@MLSEL.COM
    40 Bay St. Suite 600
    Toronto, ON M5J 2X2
    CA
    Phone: 999 999 9999
    Fax: 999 999 9999

Record expires on 19-Jan-2008
    Record created on 19-Jan-2006
    Database last updated on 19-Jan-2006

21. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is that? How is soccer so different from other sports played in America that they need to rip off names from other countries, and poorly at that.

22. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    How about following New York's clever branding, and call it Field Turf Toronto? A Canadian firm upholding a Canadian squad and using it's product as well?

23. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    It's called embracing the culture of your sport, instead of trying to make everything about it "America-ized." No more shootouts, no more backwards counting clocks, no more offside line; no more messing around. We finally play the game the way it's played everywhere else, and now we're getting the names that belong to soccer teams. It may not be perfect, but it's far better than Clash, Burn, Wiz, etc.

24. ssanchez

ssanchez Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who says just cause the teams name is inter it has to be blue and black. I think the Inter in Brazil wears green and white

25. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem with the name. I can't believe how picky some of you people are. So long as there's no more Clash or Mutiny, we're fine.

And to the people that suggested that the club would have difficulty attracting supporters due to the name: get real! Nobody is going to say "I don't like the name, therefore I won't support the team." That's just ridiculous.

If ever there was a city deserving of the "International" name, it's Toronto, one of the most diverse cities on the planet.