Toronto Raptors Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by ibreak4coffee, Nov 3, 2004.

1. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Araujo had 14 rebounds and 7 Offensive rebounds if i am not mistaking

2. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  3. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Huge win :) If we can beat Orlando and Sacramento at home, you got to believe that we can finish off Milwaukee, Golden State, and Boston in similar fashion (and New Orleans in two weeks). Mitchell said he wanted 4 out of 5, and we're halfway there :) Now if we can get to within 4-5 games of .500 by the all-star break, anything is possible.

Bosh is definitely avoiding the sophmore slump. He'd be getting so much more press if he played down here in the States. And I have to commend Jalen for sucking it up and playing hard despite a questionable demotion to the bench.

I'm not ready yet to be excited... I'm sure the Raps have another 7-8 game losing streak in them. But things have definitely changed since we dumped Vince

4. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
  5. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Besides that unfortunate blip against Milwaukee, I was extremely impressed with the way the Raptors played this week. 4-1 is great no matter what the opposition is. Bosh and Peterson have finally shown signs of being consistent.

4 out of the next 5 games are winnable. Out of the next five we play, only Washington is playing good ball right now. If by some miracle we could win one game on the road (preferably tomorrow in Philly) and beat New Orleans and New York at home, we'd be right back in the thick of the playoff race.

Wow... its amazing how bad the Atlantic division is.

6. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    the Bucks game was a nightmare. If we have won that game like we were suppose to, we would be 15-21 right not. Instead we are 14-22. Damn Bucks. If we lose to New Orleans, fire Sam Mitchells. Losing to NO is not acceptable this year.

7. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    raps seem in control all they need to do right now is get a few decent trades maybe two moves getting a big body centre and a point guard to complement rafer. raps are a team in the rise.

8. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    they need a person that can step up in the 4th quater. Vince Carter use to be able to do that, now he sucks and they traded him away. The game vs Philly. It was all tied up until the 4th quater and Iverson took over and single handedly killed the raptors. We need a guy like Iverson. Of course we won't get him. A guy like Redd? Allen? someone who is clutch when it counts, that's all I am saying.

9. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    We just have an away game stint that will go away in time. ITs about team unity and not holes in the player sheet regardless of what people think.

10. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Okay, so we've won today against the Hornets. A win is a win no matter how you look at it. But don't all of us Raptors fans think it's a little scary that we almost lost to the Hornets today? I mean, this team is suppose to be a pushover.

Also, I think it's time to give Jalen Rose his starting position back. Is it just me or is Eric Williams completely useless right now? Rose came off the bench with 19 points. Not only we are not giving him his starting position back, but we are also talking about trading him. Hello Babcock?????? He's actually doing a lot more scoring than Eric Williams, why are we trading him away?

Who are we going to get for him? Penny hardaway? Eddie Jones? a coupld of useless washed up guys that's way past their prime? I say keep Rose and give him his job back.

11. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A win is a win no matter what. Pre- Vince trade we would have choked. The Raps hung in and got the win. And New Orleans has actually been playing well the last week, so they arent complete pushovers. I do think they would have won if Baron hadnt gotten injured.

All of this doesnt matter though because we cant win on the road. Next two games against Minny and Washington seem like lost causes already. If only we could start playing .500 ball on the road, we'd really be back in this playoff picture.

Its clear though the team is not thinking about this year. Rather, long-term development. Why Araujo keeps starting is beyond me. He can never last more than a few minutes without picking up fouls.

Eric Williams isnt useless too. He's brought some much needed defense to the team. Of course I wish Rose would start, but its more important who's finishing the games, and that's Jalen.

12. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Well, if you look at all the options we have for Center, do we have something better than Araujo? Do you really think Loren Woods can do that much better than Araujo? I think Araujo is starting because he is one of the only option we have in that position. Also, it's because he is a rookie, more exciting to watch.

the are 13-5 at home and 2-18 on the road. that means we played 20 road games and 18 home games. more home games than road games left. there is a little bit of hope, not too much tough.

well the raptors play in the playoffs or watch on TV like the rest of us? we'll see. Give it another 10 games, if they are more than 5 games behind the 8th spot, then we will give up.

13. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Finally, a win on the road. Surprisingly against a good team. I didn't even think they had a chance in the game.

Seriously guys, I don't think trading Marshall and Rose is going to help. Look at the games recently, Rose has been big and Marshall was the difference vs the Twolves.

What do you say guys, let them stay in TO?

14. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Marshall was knocking down those 3's in KG's face. Just for that I'd keep him.

15. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The whole team played great. Rose was also huge down the stretch, and Bosh and Rafer were great. Only Mo Pete struggled really (as usual on the road), but he played solid D.

Raps have to build on this. Their basically a game out of the Atlantic division lead if they beat New York on Wednesday, and the Knicks are in a freefall. Two games coming up against Charlotte too.

I wish the Raps would keep Marshall and Rose, but MLSE is cheap and wants their contracts off the books. Plus Marshall is a free agent at the end of the year and I bet he'd sign with a contender anyways, so it might be worth trading him instead of getting nothing, like the Raptors usually do.

16. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I don't know, I am kind of frustrated. I mean, Babcock and Mitchell knew from Day 1 that the Raptor's problem was no center. They did all these signings and trading, at the end, they still arrive to the conculsion, no one in the paint. They got Alonzo knowing that Alonzo would not play for us. I guess they had no choice since Carter was crying to leave and no one would give us anything good.

Now, still the same problem, no center. I wonder what the Raptors can pick up trading Rose and Marshall. I don't want to see them go, because besides Mo Pete and Bosh, these 2 players are doing all the scoring. If we do trade them away, it better be for a decent man in the paint. Someone who can consistently pick up 10 rebounds a game.

17. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Who still wants to trade Marshall and Rose?

Who????? Who??????????

man this is a good victory over the knicks

keep it up and maybe they won't have to watch the playoffs on TV like the rest of us

18. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Agreed... we dont win without these guys. Its just unrealistic to think Marshall would re-sign with the Raptors when every team in the NBA wants him. Jalen on the other hand should stay... his scoring totally outweighs his bad defense.

God the Knicks stink though... I cant believe Lenny is still coaching.

19. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Marshall wouldn't sign? I don't know about that. Toronto gives him a lot of minutes and he does better in toronto than anyother team. If we make the playoffs this year and sign some good free agents during our off season, he might sign a 2 year contract. I think he enjoys it here.

Plus, he is not exactly all star, I can't imagen all the teams dying to get him.

20. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    show donyell the money and sam and rob are doing a great job not like butch carter or that other coach. all we need is constitency and motivation and we have that we are willing to work hard and scrap if this keeps going on it could be the raptors vs the heat in the finals.

21. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Virtually every contending team in the league is after Donyell. Just read espn.com... its there every day. Moreover, he is on the record at saying he is disappointed he is no longer in the starting line-up. Why would Donyell sign to be a bench player when he would start on so many other teams in the league?

The Raptors had basically thrown in the towel earlier in the year by inserting Araujo and Williams in the starting line-up. Araujo cant stay in a game for more than a few minutes and cant score. At least Woods provides defense. Williams plays great D too and I like him starting... Rose is still the better player though. But the message was sent early to Rose and Marshall that were not in the team's long-term plans. Babcock must be stratching his head now. This is the best the team has played in years, and Donyell and Jalen are key parts. Do you get rid of them or keep this going with no guarantee of the playoffs? Since MLSE is so cheap, I unfortunately think they are going to trade these guys for cap space and young picks, and we will fall short this year. Its unfortunate because if we can keep this up we will win the division.

Of course the team is only a Chris Bosh injury away from another major losing streak.

22. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I didn't think that many teams are interested in Marshall and Rose. One of the main reason is because these two guys are too over-paid. Well, you could be right. They are not bad players and some teams can definately use them. In terms of trading them, I do think we will get good deals for them. This is because unlike Carter, they play hard every game and never demands trades off the court. Other teams know that we want to trade them, but they also know that we don't have to trade them. If we keep them, they will play hard and we might even make the playoffs, the only risk we face is that Marshall won't sign with us again. Other teams would have to give us something good in order to get Marshall and Rose.

On the side, I'd rather make Marshall a starter and try to sign him over Eric Williams. I am sure you have been watching lately, Eric hasn't done much for the team at all. The 7-3 stretch we had is mainly thanks to Bosh, Alston, Rose and Marshall's nasty 3's. What did Eric Williams do for us in those 7-3 stretch?

In terms of Araujo, he's too young to be judged. Remember that little west coast swing we had? We did lose all of our games, but he showed rebounding skills and in the paint scoring power. Lately he is not doing too well, I just hope Mitchell gives him more minutes and see what Araujo has to offer.

23. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The whole spin about Marshall "leaving" is utter hot steam made by the American sports contingent no less. I can only think of a few reasons why Marshal would refuse a new contract, but even then it would be far fetched because he's playing great ball and these days thats what senior players care about most.

24. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    To add onto that. That's the difference between guys like Marshall and Rose compared to Carter and Cassell. Guys like Cassell and Carter are much more talented, but they practically stop playing as soon as they feel things are not going their way.

Rose is upset about losing starting position to Eric Williams but instead of complaining about it, he plays like his life is depended on Basketball. Same with Marshall.

25. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    So, who should we trade Rose and Marshall for? If we do have to trade them? I am thinking a decent Center. Nothing other than a Decent Center. None of that Eddie Jones or Penny Hardaway stuff.

You guys think if the Raptors start contending, Zo will play for us? If he can play for us and play hard, this Raptors team can win the division. Zo is past his prime, but I can still see him averaging 8-10 rebounds a game and score 12-14 points per game. If Zo plays for us, we can trade Marshall and Rose for another small shooting guard.