Toronto Raptors Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by ibreak4coffee, Nov 3, 2004.

1. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    bottom line is the players are losing hope with their coach ever since he talks trash to them. defense is a main problem but its mostly rebounding. they need a solid rebounder maybe magliore but getting big bodies would help either. 7-15 isnt too late to get back where they should be 4-0 when they started it felt like they had more desire and heart. vc wasnt even playing well i think they lost respect for sam mitchell and rob has alot to do in a few weeks i wouldnt be surpirsed if he made a real big trade . shaking up things would only do good and getting good hardworkers instead of lazy ass carter who i think is playing for cheaps not doing anything what do you expect he wants out and you can tell by the lousy playing.

2. Rudy R9

Rudy R9 New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Estadio Azteca
    Raptors are in deep shi' if they dont play better with carter being injured its probably gonna get worst.

3. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

It's time to give up on the season.

Coach will be fired

Vince will be traded

The team sill still stink

The end.........

The Raptors can watch the playoffs on TV like th rest of us

Hopefully this time they will get lucky in the Lottery and get 1st pick :)

4. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    While I am the biggest pessimist around, this is a little harsh. The Raptors have only played two or three teams under .500 so far. They're schedule was absolutely brutal, and even with a motivated Vince and world class coach, chances are they would have a similar record. Of course the players might give up, but its better to get all this crap over with early and make a push at the end of the year.

The team still has four games left against Chicago, Charlotte, Atlanta, Milwaukee, and Philadelphia, three against New Jersey, two against Golden State, two against New Orleans, and two against Indiana while they are shorthanded. Those are 25 games that the team should win. Even if it only wins 15 of those, it would climb back to .500 and only have to play .500 ball against the New York's, Boston's, Philadelphia's etc... to realistically make the playoffs.

5. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

We have a very inefficient team. We have so many power forwards and small forwards but no center. We are overpaying an injurred Alvin Williams and replacing him with an overpiad Rafer Alston. We have Jalen Rose who is the starting small forward but Lamond Murray and Morris Peterson sits on the bench and the Raptors are paying them tons of money. Donyell Marshall is also overpaid to be on the bench. I am not saying these overpaid bench players are bad but heck, do we honestly need 3 players(Rose, Peterson, Murray) playing for the same position and paying them over 5 million dollars a year(Rose is making a lot more than 5 million a year)? We still don't have a center, we can't afford one because our salary gap is done due to overpaying benches.

Horrible management, horrible scouting, horrible draft picks (Arujo) and horrible attitude (VC wants a trade).

I hate the give up on them but it's better to realize it's over now than to be dissapointed later.

I tell you what, they win the next 7 out of 10 games, I will be back paying attention to them again. I admit, I am not being a loyal fan but for past 3 years, they have been pissing me off.

6. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Huge win tonight :)

Granted Minnesota was tired, but this is one of the best teams in the league. The second half was one of the best the Raps have played all year. Bosh and Peterson really stepped up. I find it even more amazing that the Raps won, considering that Jalen and Rafer were non-factors.

The schedule gets much easier after tonight. Next four especially, Indiana, New Jersey, Houston and Utah. If we can get three of these four, then we can approach the four game west swing with some confidence, before getting to the easy stuff in January and February.

Now of course nothing is easy with the Raps. They will likely play a couple more stinkers over the next two weeks. However, big win tonight was first without Carter in the line-up since 2003. It must mean something :)

7. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    win 4 out of the next 5 and I will be back as a Raptors fan

8. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
  9. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    man its all about confidence they can win without vc they just need the desire. i see bosh as the leader but he struggles cause the style he plays doesnt fit into mitchells formula he needs to be a shaq type of player dominate and use your skills man you can do it.

10. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  11. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Looks like we will finally get rid of Vinsanity...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1948449

The trade isnt bad, but seriously where is the scoring going to come from, especially if we trade Rose? Zo I think would rather retire than play in Toronto.

12. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I think this is a bad trade. Only because Alonzo Mourning and Eric William are both old. Alonzo can only play at most 28 minutes per game and who knows when he will retire. Eric William is okay, 32 years old. Add the two together still does not equal to Vince Carter. The first 2 first round picks are awsome. However, considering the fact that the Nets might make the playoffs, these 2 first round picks won't be that good.

I don't think it will be a Rose + Carter trade. It will be Carter and maybe someone useless from the Raptors' bench. If we put Rose and Peterson on the same line, the score will be efficient enough.

I still say concentrate on Jamaal Magloire.

13. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  14. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    According to Stephen A. the picks were originally Denver's, from the Kenyon Martin signing. The picks are top 6 protected this year, and top 8 protected next year. Denver's 8th in the West right now, so they could be a good picks.

15. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Denver is in the 8th, so the pick is going to be between 12 - 30. Is that considered good?

you think Zo is a good deal? it's going to be Hakeem Olajuwon all over again. Why can't they get Magloire

16. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    What a horrible trade, this news just ruined my holiday weekend. An plus I got tickets for the Sunday game, go figure?:confused:

Zo Zo? Give me a fukin break! The guy is ancient now, this is gonba be the same sh^t that happened with Hakeem, only this time, Alonzo will offer us nothing accept 20 minutes a game and maybe a few boards. At least Hakeem came here on his own will and put in a few good performances. What a rip off!!!!!!

If we were a plus .500 team this trade would of been ten times better. But when team standards droop, so does trade aspiration. My god this is worse than the lockout, professional sports in Toronto is doomed.

I think I'm gonna be sick.

17. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I wouldn't be so upset.

The thing is, other teams knew Carter wanted out and the team wanted him out, so it was always going to be difficult to get a good deal, especially since very few teams have a need for someone like Carter.

On the face of it, you traded your franchise player for a few spare parts, mid-1st round picks and some hefty contracts. But in the two Williamses, you have two guys who will work hard and play tough defense (and Erik can get points and boards), and even if Zo only gives you 20 minutes, you could do worse than a rotation of Zo, Bosh and Woods in the low post, while Marshall can switch between the two forward positions based on what lineup Mitchell wants to run.

I think this team wouldn't be too unlike Milwaukee last year. Plus, I don't think the Raptors are done trading yet. A team on the cusp might be looking for someone like Aaron or Erik Williams for some toughness.

We'll see. We still have 2 months until the trading deadline.

19. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Two first round picks?!? I'd take that in a second.

20. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

their not exactly going to be first picks

maybe between 13-20

21. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    whether you like it or not the raptors are a different team right now with cb as their anchor they gotta get a star centre maybe magloire but i really do think the raptors are going to benifit maybe not now but down the road.
    vc needed to move on it was affecting his play i think hes done hes best years were with the raps. the key is the the picks lets face it its 2005 picks so if denver has a bad season then the raps could look at a 4 pick or 5 surely theyll be a star in the making our scouts do a good job look at our past draftees: damon stoudimire tracy mcgrady vince carter and chris bosh.
    well see what happens change is good.

22. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Not quite. The picks you received are Philadelphia's (protected 1-8 in 2005, protected 1-5 in 2006 and unprotected in 2007) and Denver’s (protected 1-5 in 2006, protected 1-2 in 2007, and unprotected in 2008). So the earliest you can get a Top 5 pick is 2007.

If the current standings hold, Philadelphia will miss the playoffs and the pick will be somewhere between 9 and 14. Not bad but not franchise player stuff either.

My guess is that Toronto will trade one or both of the picks (plus maybe one of their own), combined with Rose and Mourning, maybe Marshall. Rose can opt out of his contract at the end of this season and Marshall has an expiring contract, so both are good trade baits, and one or both of them have to go for a team to take on Mourning's contract.

In any case, Toronto still has to make one or more moves for this trade to not be a failure.

23. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    If they trade away Rose, Marshall and Mourning, we better get some scoring. Because all the scoring is coming from Marshall, Rose and peterson right now. Bosh is not a high scoring leader.

24. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Is it time yet for the "Where will Jalen Rose end up and when" speculation thread :eek: Seriously nice win again tonight, but one they had to win. I cant get over the fact though that there are always outside issues. Please trade Jalen away as soon as possible. The team needs to move on.

I will miss Donyell though... wish the Raps would do the good thing and keep him, even if he probably wouldnt stay next year.

25. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    okay

we still have no center

carter is gone so scoring relies on Rose, Peterson and Bosh

if we trade away rose, we will have no center and no scorer.

of course, rose wants to leave. i heard we will give Zo and Rose away for Eddie Jones. Eddie Jones is all washed up, past his prime and I don't think he wants to play in toronto. He will complain and ask for a trade after playing a month in Toronto.