Toronto Raptors Thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by ibreak4coffee, Nov 3, 2004.

1. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Any Raptors fans out there? We just won our first game against Houston 95-88. Quality play from all the starters, including Loren Woods :confused: Maybe this year won't be that long after all

Anyways if any of you are out there it would be cool to get a thread going.

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    "Toronto Raptors Thread" aka "Countdown to the Vince Carter Trade"

3. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Toronto may have the dumbest nickname and logo in the NBA, but they make up for it by having the ugliest uniforms.

4. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Once Carter leaves, the team will be on it's way out of town as well.

5. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I am guessing this thread will go about 20 messages deep the entire year unless someone just wants to post to himself the whole season! The dinosaurs are extinct my friend!

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Do people really like Carter that much? To most basketball fans, Vince is willfull mediocrity personified.

7. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    He is still an interesting character because people still think he is a showstopper and a gamechanger. He actually still could be both of those adjectives if he was consistently healthy. As I have said before, Vince Carter is the Ken Griffey Jr of the NBA.

8. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Whatever :rolleyes: If I were you I'd be more worried about your Oilers

9. SS2006

SS2006 Member

Oct 30, 2004
    London, Canada
    you guys talk too much :)
    were 2-0, carter rules
    raps rule
    GO RAPS GO

10. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    From a finacial standpoint, MLSE can't lose Carter. They don't have a player they could fall back to when needed.

They'll lose tons of fans when they trade Carter.

11. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Unlikely.

Carter is not nearly as popular here as he was 2-3 years ago, and the Raptors are still drawing decent crowds to the Air Canada Centre (yesterday's crowd notwithstanding. I think the Argos playoff game played across the railyard at SkyDome may have had an effect on the Raps' crowd, which in itself is an amazing statement).

Chris Bosh will end up being the real franchise player for the Raptors in the next 2 years anyways.

Plus, MLSE will not willfully let a 41 game per year tenant just disappear from their building.

12. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    raptors have the best third unis and yep! their 2-0 goes to show that the right formula is working. i agree v c should move on he sucks but toronto my friends is one of the few cities that really support b-ball sellouts are a record high. mlse is doing something right. so let the bashing begin all you haters raps rule and the rest of you haters are foolz.

13. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The season couldnt have started better! The Raps beating two solid teams without Carter carrying any special burden. Eventually they will fall back to earth, probably next week on the west coast swing - but I already cant wait for Portland tomorrow. Starting 3-0 would be amazing... I thought they'd be lucky to start 2-10 with the schedule they have early on.

I've been super impressed by Bosh, and more surprisingly Rafer. I didnt think he'd play this well. Woods has also been impressive, but I'll wait 10 more games to make a judgement. Jalen is also playing well, as is Carter, although he hasn't been dominant. About the only guy playing sub-par is Donyell Marshall, but I dont expect that to continue. Whatever Sam Mitchell has been doing, keep it up :)

For some reason, people still think that the franchise in on thin ice. This pisses me off, especially when its Americans that know nothing about Canada or Toronto just assuming that basketball hasn't taken hold and Canada can't support the NBA. Basically the same people that think international players can't keep up with the NBA and the same people that worship the stupid anchors on ESPN. Well basketball has taken hold, and I've been to games in eight different buildings around the NBA and the ACC ranks as one of the best for crowd support and noise. Any city that has Kevin O'Neill's boring style of basketball for a year and still sells out games has a devoted fan base.

Really excited so far, just hoping the damn season won't fall apart like the past few years.

14. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Raptors start the season at 3-0, defeating the Portland Jail Blazers 101-97 this afternoon.

Vince finally led the way with 25 points, although this was yet another case of total team basketball. Even when they fell behind late in the fourth quarter, no one panicked, and then Vince plunged a dagger into the hearts of the Blazers with a killer three pointer with 4 seconds left.

Great start, but as the cliché goes, there's still a lot of the season to be played.

15. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    i really do think this teams for real. rob babcock is a smart man and he knows the frontier of b-ball sam mitchell is a young coach but hes been around so long as an assistant that finally he probably has the potential to be a great coach. its mind over matter if you know the sport chances are you gonna succeed. grunwald had his foot up his ass by peddie so they werent seeing eye to eye. prediction raps will make the play-offs while vince is going to struggle at times and this is bosh breakout year. loren woods will be the comeback player.

16. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Plus, Carter's drawing power will continue to go down if he keeps up the trade demand/pouting, so they'll have less to lose by trading him.

17. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Raps pulled it out again! What's going on? An injury or something has to be coming soon (knock on wood), because everything's going our way. I was about to throw the remote at the TV when Carter launched that three at the end, but luckly refrained.

What's impressed me most is the total team effort, and the fact that the second unit of Bonner, Murray, Peterson, Palacio, and Marshall seems to be turning every game to the Raptors. It just seems the guys are having fun playing, and the total effort is there all around. Who cares if Vince is simply trying to raise his trade stock... its working.

What's also impressive is the fact that every game so far one of the big players has been off and others have picked up the slack. Jalen was mediocre against Houston, Carter was against Detroit, and Bosh struggled today. Others step up though.

Now this damn west coast swing. If the Raps can beat Seattle, LA Clippers, and lets say for the sake of argument Portland again, we'll be in great shape :)

18. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    4-1!

Yes, the Raptors won again last night, this time dispatching the previously undefeated Utah Jazz in SLC.

They did it without Vince Carter on the floor for the final 9 minutes.

19. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I have a really good feeling about this season (knock on wood...). Hopefully Marshall's injury isnt too serious. Bosh looks like he's avoiding the sophmore slump. What a player.

20. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    It looks like Vince Carter will be another addition to the Sports Guy's Ewing Theory.

21. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Just know this. If the Raptors are leading in the Conference Finals and are in a position to advance to the NBA Finals, the league will assign Dick Bevetta to officiate the game and that'll be all she wrote.

22. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    what do you mean by that?

23. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    It's an old joke that Dick Bevetta is a big market referee and when a big market club has been in a tough spot against a small market club, he's called in to do a hatchet job on the small market club. I think Bill Simmons wrote about this on ESPN.com, and even if he didn't, it's a view held by many basketball fans and media. I think the league would be very annoyed if the Raptors got to the Finals. I think their broadcast partners on this side of the 49th would be moreso.

24. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that's the first time I've ever heard Toronto referred to as a "small market".

25. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well the Raptors went on a pretty bad road trip, and are now sitting at 4-5 on the season.

The big news is the possible blockbuster tradebetween the Raptors and Trail Blazers, which would send Vince Carter and Jalen Rose to Portland for Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Derek Anderson or Nick Van Exel.

The thinking here is that the Raptors will be able to sign a big name free agent next summer once Shareef's contract is finished, and they may be able to sign two if they get Van Exel. Either way, (I hope) Shareef will be as good as gone by next season.

The Blazers will get Carter and Rose, which may help them in the dogfight that is the Western Conference. I think wherever Vince goes, he will be rejuvenated, and Jalen Rose is playing some decent ball these days, as well as being a good leader (which Portland so desperately needs).