PBP: Toronto @ Rapids • Sat., Sept. 25 • 6pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Sep 24, 2021.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Yes, 6pm. I presume this is because there are fireworks to follow the match.

It seems highly likely we'll see Namli again, but not sure he'll start.

Will Fraser continue with 3 backs? It seems like his go to formation in recent weeks.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure the 6pm start is for Canadian TV. That gave them the opportunity to add fireworks after the time was set.

3. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Interesting stat following last weeks game:

1441575275938996224 is not a valid tweet id

With Fraser being “pleasantly surprised” at that, I wonder if we will see both Namli and Galvan starting. Namli looked a little rusty (who wouldn’t after his time off) but after he warmed into the game he was looking fairly good.

As I’ve said before, I would LOVE to see Galvan and Namli on opposite wings. Both players can pull off soccer wizardry with the ball at their feet and almost always demand double coverage - to borrow American football terminology.

4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Both Namli and Galván are left footed, as are Lewis and Esteven. Last week Galván played on the right side as a wingback while Esteven was on the left.

So, if Namli were to play a central role like he did last week Fraser could put either Esteven or Galván on the left side as as a wing back, assuming Fraser continues to play 3 in the back.

I am wondering if Namli is fit enough to play the full 90? My guess is he's a week or more away from doing so.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  6. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I agree on the fit enough question. I doubt he would go the full 90, but going the first 50-60min or so against a weak Toronto side (they will be missing Bradley tonight too) isn’t a bad proposition.

I’m liking what I’m seeing out of Esteves too. Kids gonna grow into a great wingback in the league if he keeps it up. Having that many left footed players all over the field is definitely an asset for the rapids

7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Can’t make this game, in Seattle visiting my daughter, her first year at U of Washington. I’m seeing my new 2nd favorite college football team. Go Dawgs is what they say, I think. Go Rapids! Enjoy!

JasonMa repped this.
  8. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    0-0 halftime. Way too slow on the build ups. Toronto is shorthanded, but this won’t tire them out. Need Lewis to press the pace.

9. jrowe13

jrowe13 Member

Jun 14, 2006
    At home against the worst team in the league and we trot out 5 defenders. This what you get, lots of possession and not many chances. They need some attacking subs early this second half.

JasonMa repped this.
  10. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Esteves is not very good. Just kills so many attacks down his side.

Sports Yak repped this.
  11. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I mean attacking wise and neither is Rosenberry frankly. So this wingbacks stuff not working that well. Lets see if they do better in 4-3-3.

JasonMa repped this.
  12. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This is just ugly stuff tonight. No ideas in the final third.

SccrDon and Sports Yak repped this.
  13. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Well guys, coming in to the game Toronto was sporting the worst defense with 51 goals allowed and a -23 goal differential. Tonight, we managed 1 shot on goal against them.

Granted, they were defending with all 11 men most of the game…but my gosh. We had almost no off the ball movement. No one making themselves available. No one making runs. What the heck.

1 shot on goal.

Sports Yak and JasonMa repped this.
  15. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    2018 called, they want their rapids back :confused:

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Dawgs is absolutely what they say. Wise choice by your daughter.

UW ‘97

AlbertCamus repped this.
  17. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Honestly, brutal. 0-0 tie at home against one of the worst teams in the league. TFC had virtually zero attack the entire time and we mustered very very little in response. Again, the lack of a true 9 was glaring. I applaud Fraser’s decisions as he went all in subbing in basically all of the offensive talent we had in reserve, there was just nothing there. One good cross after another found no one home, all game long.

Sports Yak repped this.
  18. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    That does seem to be the issue. Since teams are starting to take notice, there’s been a theme that the opposition has followed:

Bunker. Bunker. Bunker. Rapids won’t be able to break you down. We’re lethal on the counter attacks, but when it’s time to possess and breakdown, we just don’t seem to be able to do it. We brought Namli in to be that creative guy to crack the defensive nut- let’s hope he gets in form quick.

Speaking of Namli….why on earth after Galvan and Namli came in did we keep consistently attack down the left side???? Our two most creative players had almost no touches the majority of that last 20 or so minutes.

Fraser’s gonna have to make some serious adjustments. And fast. October is coming….or as they say up north…Winter is coming

unkiemark and Andy126 repped this.
  19. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Brutal tie...again. If people wonder why America doesn’t like soccer, have them watch this game. Neither goaltender has to make a tough save.

Back to the drawing board.

AlbertCamus and Andy126 repped this.
  20. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had some friends over to eat pizza and play a board game rather than watch this game. Looks like I made the right decision!

SccrDon repped this.
  21. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had a conflict with the DC United game and just watched the "highlights." Has anyone seen the advanced stats (xG) for the past few games? I'm really at a loss with the 'Pids through this late summer swoon. A lot of missed opportunities to make a statement and move up the standings.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which game did you play?

23. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I knew you had a connection and meant to tag you. Thanks, she’s excited and off to a good start.

Fun stadium and game day atmosphere at UW by the way. Love the eclectic nature of college football stadiums. We will be a divided family when the Huskies visit the Buffs the weekend before thanksgiving!

Now back to the Rapids, they better get their stuff together and beat Austin on Wednesday. I’m watching Austin give the Galaxy a hard time right now on Sunday night. Rapids had an extra day of rest and don’t have to travel.

JasonMa repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is she living? A bunch of the dorms have changed since I was there but some are still the same.

We'll be there in our purple and gold! If you ever get a chance to sailgate at the #GreatestSetting, you should do it.

25. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iberian Gauge. It's really fun because you have to interact and collaborate with the other players to build trains, but you've gotta be careful not to do it TOO MUCH because you're still trying to win in the end.