Toronto FC signs Nane Joseph

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by deepm, Apr 5, 2010.

1. deepm

deepm Member

May 13, 2009
    Mississauga
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yet......another......midfielder

plz tell me why???

3. TFCguy

TFCguy New Member

May 18, 2007
    he's one of the players we selected in the 2010 superdraft...I assume he'd be considered GA and his salary would not count against the cap?

4. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

If so at least he's a warm body to have to throw out there. At 6'2" though I think the team needs to consider seeing if he'd consider trying his hand at centre half.

5. tfc_for_life

tfc_for_life Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Called it when tfc drafted him. he stands six foot plus and comes from Cameroun, so he has the potential. he probably is as good as Cronin right now.

6. deepm

deepm Member

May 13, 2009
    Mississauga
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He's not a GA. He has a developmental contract, so I assume he is taking up a development roster spot. So his contract will count against the cap.

Setting aside the "why another midfielder???", he might be a valuable contributor. Nane was a 3rd round pick, and most of us familiar with MLS know that not a lot of 3rd/4th rounders make any team. Hopefully he has some promise.

7. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I don't think he does count against the Cap. I've read that teams are allowed 4 Development players that don't count against the cap if they only make the league minimum. So if he's at the league minimum ($40K), he should be cap neutral.

8. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the salary cap applies to senior roster players only, so that's your top 20 players in most cases. The dev players including all GA players do not count against the salary cap. Of course, they could have changed things with the new CBA, but that was how it used to work.

9. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    actually it used to be that only GA contracts did not count against the cap ... if you had DEV contracts in the 4 developmental spots the DID count against the cap.

now the 4 "Used To Be Called Developmental Spots" can be filled by anyone on a GA contract or on a league minimum contract. none of the 4 spots count against the cap. in addition a team can have 2 extra (above the 20 + 4) roster spots for "home grown players" (players signed who have spent at least 2 years in a team's academy) who do not count against the cap either.

so assuming gabe gala is taking up a senior roster spot then nane joseph will go into the last "UTBCD" spot with TFCs 3 GA players (Frei, Herold, Ibrahim).

10. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Again... it just says midfielder. Wide or centre?!?!?!

11. tfc_for_life

tfc_for_life Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I looked it up on some site which covered the Mls draft; Nane Joseph is a defensive holding mid. Hopefully he can play CDM and let JDG roam. maybe even convert him to CB. His is 6'2". I would let him play ahead of Gala after Cbus game. Couldn't do worse.

12. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I have to think this is just a signing to have another body with the squad and at a very cheap price to still on the bench and be called upon when needed. I only seen little bits of him play in pre-season, he will add some size to the middle of the park which we lack but it remains to be seen if he will be anything other than a bench player. I guess it is up to him to improve and show Preki he can become a MLS palyer.

13. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I don't think this guy is ready for the first team yet.