Toronto FC representing Canada in the 2017-2018 CONCACAF Champions League

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Robert Borden, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Toronto FC wins the Canadian Championship!

They will represent Canada at the 2017-2018 CONCACAF Champions League

PS: Best rivalry in MLS...by a mile

@Liga MX: Good luck stopping Giovinco!:p

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Is Giovinco the key to finally defeat Mexican teams in the CCL?

3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm not saying TFC will win, of course, but I think they have a chance.

And, yes, Giovinco is part of that. It is a very talented team but MLS has sent talented teams to the CCL before and failed to win.

The thing that I think really gives this TFC side a chance is attitude. They may be the first MLS team that would be travelling to Mexico and actually expecting to win. Not posturing and saying, "I think we have a chance" but actually expecting the victory.

They may not get it but they won't be going in fearing their opponent, even away. Certainly they would look forward to facing anyone at BMO Field.

Unak78 repped this.
  4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I admit flat out that TFC is the strongest MLS/Canadian team competing in CONCACAF

5. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    As a longtime fan still suffering from TFC-inflicted PTSD, at one time that kind of talk would have made me cringe and expect something bad was about to happen. It's only been this year that I've been able to believe that this team could beat any other team on a given day. I look forward to February because Vasquez is going to have something to prove

6. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So, the Mexican/USA/Canadian teams start in the knockout phase...is that right? After the MLS offseason? In February?

So February footy at BMO against teams already in their season and playing competitively?

Yikes.

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Last time TFC was in the Champions league in the winter I was there. It was against the Galaxy and it was at Rogers Center.

Most likely, it will be TFC home field until BMO gets warm enough

[​IMG]

8. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Was also there......that was before the Argos left Rogers Centre.....ie before the start of the conversion to a baseball only facility.....a conversion which will be ongoing.....there is no indication that RC can/will host any non-baseball sporting events in the future.

Getting the grass at BMO "warm" is not really the challenge.....the under soil heating can take care of that.....keeping the players warm....and selling tickets to fans in February are the issues.

9. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    All signs from the club point to playing at BMO at that time of year. They'll probably ask for the latest possible date for their leg. It's pretty much a guaranteed win because the warm weather clubs will go into shock when they hit the field. :D

10. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Does the TFC squad have much experience playing in sub-zero conditions? ;)