News: Toronto FC player movement/rumours thread

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by Catracho_Azul, Dec 27, 2012.

1. torontofcmark

torontofcmark Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    im usually good with understanding signings, but how does Gonzalez sign now outside of the transfer window when it was an issue during? Small nuance of not understanding some movements of players at some times.

2. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Been quiet in here. So ... Saturday should see Gonazalez in the lineup and new TAM signing Gallardo from Venezuela. No one knows much about him, so we'll see how he does. Also Hamilton's been traded to Columbus for Mullins. Thoughts?

3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    ^ I'm sad to see Hamilton go, especially in exchange for a journeyman bench type player. I'd have preferred to see the team invest the playing time in Hamilton and let him develop. He's never going to be an MLS superstar but his goals per minutes played is quite good. I think if they had just given him ten starts in a row he'd have risen to the occasion as a second striker.

4. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm not a fan of this at all unless there is something else we don't know about.

5. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  6. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not surprised he was awful whenever he played.

7. railita

railita Red Card

Aug 1, 2019
    No doubt that if this pans out he will be subjected to endless comparisons with Amado Guevara.

8. railita

railita Red Card

Aug 1, 2019
    Well this is interesting...xender discord omegle .at the very least he should be good depth. We desperately need reinforcements in midfield and if he plays at RB it'll be interesting to see what happens to Ecks in 2013. It's great that we're using the central american - and more specificaly, Honduran - market, and if the Guevara-as-scout rumors are true, he's already helping us (even if we've allegedly been watching Peralta for months, I wouldn;t be surpised if Guevara's influence, if it's there at all, help seal this.

9. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
  10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    speker repped this.
  11. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Makes way more sense than Balotelli who I remember well from his brief time at Liverpool .Stay away from Mario , not worth it.

12. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
  13. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    TFC have signed three of their youth players to first team contracts:

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2020/01/21/toronto-fc-signs-academy-product-rocco-romeo-first-team

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2020/...my-product-jahkeele-marshall-rutty-first-team

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2020/01/23/toronto-fc-signs-academy-product-jayden-nelson-first-team

This is the counterpoint of releasing several marginal or bench players from the first team including Chapman, Morgan, Daniels, and Telfer.

It seems that TFC does this sort of cycling each off season. Many of the players brought up stay for a couple of seasons and see little action before being released.

Of the new crop, the most noteable is Jayden Nelson who has already played and scored for the national team at 17 years old. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up hanging around the first team for a season with a few appearances and then being sold on to Europe as a young prospect.

We will see what comes of this group. I do wish TFC would do a better job of transitioning their youth players into real first team players. I understand the pressures on a high payroll team but they do need to find playing time for these types of guys if they are really going to see the full benefit of their academy system. We need fewer Telfer/Chapman scenarios and more Osorios. Hopefully Fraser will be the next in that line.

whitbytfcfan and legendofzola repped this.
  14. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Perhaps playing them on loan to a CPL squad is the solution?

15. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The CPL is between USL2 and MLS. A loan there would be a useful move for guys who aren't really going to get any first team time but are ready for more challenge than USL2 can give them. Nelson might be a good fit here because he's also talented enough that they aren't going to forget about him when they don't see him around BMO Field every day. I don't want to see him go the route of Telfer who actually did quite well on loan in the CPL but still managed to fall out of the picture for TFC.

The CPL isn't going to solve the problem for guys like Fraser, however. Guys who are MLS-ready and aren't going to be pushed and improve if they play in the CPL. Shaffelburg is a bit behind Fraser but is in the same boat. They could play a year in the CPL and likely excel but not really grow as players.

TFC needs to find a way to take that last step to move guys like Fraser and Shaffelburg from significant bench players to presumptive starters. If they don't, not only is Canadian soccer development not reaching its full potential, but TFC is spending an awful lot on developing players from the age of 14 to 20 only to throw them away just when they are about to pay off.

16. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  17. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    He seems like a reasonable player. I do wish TFC could find a 23 year old, in his prime DP instead of always seeming to look at guys closer to 30.

18. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I remember the hype about him after the U20 World Cup and what a player in Football Manager. He fits the need that we have for another wide attacking option, personally I liked Benezet which disappointed me when he left.

19. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    looks like he's already listed as injured, and won't be playing the first few weeks.

20. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree, but what they are doing is still way better than the other teams who try to bring over name players from Europe to finish out their careers and sell jerseys.

21. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I wonder if TFC manages to go after anyone in the transfer market

22. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020