Toronto Fc Open Tryouts Return

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by jpg75, Nov 21, 2007.

1. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Toronto FC media release:

TORONTO FC OPEN TRYOUTS RETURN

Toronto FC announced Wednesday that the team will once again be holding Open Tryouts in hopes of identifying potential talent. This year, the club will hold auditions for both the senior team, as well as the newly formed Toronto FC Academy that will begin in 2008.

Tryouts will take place under the bubble at BMO Field during the week of January 21-25th, 2008. Players trying out for the Academy must be born between 1990 and 1994 and will be asked to pay a registration fee of $100 plus tax. Availability is based on a first come, first serve basis. If a player is accepted into the program they will receive their registration fee back. The Academy will be a fully funded program and will consist of two age categories, U-16, and U-18, with approximately 65 players enrolled. More details will be released on the Academy during tryouts.

There is no age limit on tryouts for the senior team, but only 500 applicants will be accepted. Last year’s tryouts identified a number of players that were part of either the senior team, or the reserve squad at some point in the season. Players such as David Guzman, and Rich Asante (Toronto FC), as well as Niki Budalic, Desi Humphreys, and Jason DeThomasis (Reserve squad) plus Jamaal Smith who was invited to training camp. The registration fee is $125 plus tax.

In both sets of tryouts, players will be evaluated by the Toronto FC coaching staff as well as guest coaches. Players will first be evaluated in a game situation with promising players advancing to the next stage of the trial process. Registration will take place on Toronto FC’s official website www.torontofc.ca – and begins Wednesday November 21st, with a cut off date of Sunday January 6th, with no exceptions.

2. Patticus226

Patticus226 New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Anyone from these forums register? I did but I have yet to recieve my participation thingy form? Anyone else have this problem? Or who is simply going and wants to share a laugh?

3. manunited008

manunited008 New Member

Nov 24, 2007
    do you have to live in canada to tryout for the academy?

4. patrick s.

patrick s. New Member

May 25, 2007
    Toronto
    i think i'll give it a go this time

if lombardo made it...why not give it a shot?

5. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not sure what the ruling is this year, but last year they had non-residents in the tryouts.

6. Scotland the brave

Scotland the brave New Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Toronto (WOOHOO)
    Obviously if you guys want to try out you must play a bit, what is popular in Canada??

By that i mean that in bonny Scotland we play ALLOT of 5-a-side, is it the same in Toronto??

Very interested in this as i am moving in May and couldn't cope without being able to have a kick about every week :)

7. patrick s.

patrick s. New Member

May 25, 2007
    Toronto
    a bit off topic...but anyone here know a place to play some indoor soccer (futsal) during the winter?

something like pickup...as most places (docks and etc) already have the spots filled

we were playing in this nice little turf field but winter totally killed our soccer and most have no place to play
    :(

8. Patticus226

Patticus226 New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Doesnt U of T have an indoor place for football?

9. patrick s.

patrick s. New Member

May 25, 2007
    Toronto
    i'll check it out...although they're not the friendliest bunch

i showed twice with a few friends to play on the field and asked if we could join in ...they said it was a "closed game" (whatever that meant) on both occasions

10. wideleft

wideleft New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Re: Academy Tryouts
    Does anyone know how the academy team will work? I know TFC posted the Tryouts registration but there seems top be litte information as to how the team will be run, training commitment, competition plans etc.

11. Patticus226

Patticus226 New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Any forum trolls trying out for TFC receive their time slots? Maybe we'll be seeing on another sometime.

12. scots17

scots17 New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    London, ON
    i heard today that the open try-outs will be 1/3 field, 5 aside w/ a keeper...does this make any sense considering the indoor/outdoor is totally different? indoor can make "suspect" players look good??? your thoughts...also if people pay the $140 for the try-out, shouldn't it AT LEAST be full field to show your potential??? thanks