Toronto FC Academy

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by adammac19, Apr 7, 2008.

1. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This season Toronto FC has invested in a Academy so I decided to start a thread about them.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/youth/academy/

There is not much info on who is on the squad but they will be playing a 22 game season in the CSL.

http://www.canadiansoccerleague.ca/news2.php?news_id=85923

So anyone with any more information on the Academy then post away :D

Watch this space ;)

2. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing that it would be the U18 team (the team press release mentions starting with a U18 and U16 teams) that would play in that league. It should be interesting to see how they do competeing against adult teams. I guess the way to measure how it goes, isn't in wins and losses in the league. But in how many players move up from this program to the senior reserves or first team.

I know that here in Chicago the Sockers youth club has a team of high school and college age players that competes in one of the local adult leagues. Not sure how they do.

3. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good step for Toronto. Perhaps somebody could fill me in on a little info on the CSL. I know that it's an adult amatuer league, but is it contained to one province or spread out across the entire country? Also, would you relate it to PDL in terms of level of competition or setup?

5. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's a bus league based out of Southern Ontario and Western Quebec. The Montreal Impact of USL-1 have their reserve team starting in the CSL this year.

It is made up of teams too good for local Men's Elite Leagues and of ethnic teams in the GTA. The two biggest and best teams in the league are Toronto Croatia (I believe they are the remnants of the old NASL team) and Serbian White Eagles. There are also ethnic Italian (Italia Shooters) and Portugese (Portugal FC) teams in the League. The other teams are based in cities like Brampton and North York (part of Greater Toronto Area), St. Catherines (sort of halfway between Toronto and Buffalo), London (large (almost 450,000 people) city on the main artery between Toronto and Detroit), Windsor (Border city just across from Detroit) and Trois-Rivieres in Quebec (about 40 miles NE of Montreal).

I spent one summer playing for London United when I was 16 along with a friend of mine who were just too dominant in our local leagues. Back then Hamilton, Oshawa and Ottawa still had teams in the league too (and it was called the CPSL) and I really enjoyed the travelling to places like that. But after spending one summer making 3 hour, twice weekly round-trips for practice it got a little old and I went back to local leagues. My friend stuck with it a little longer and last I heard he was a soccer vagabond playing in places like Ireland, Lebanon, the Philippines and India trying to find another team willing to pay him.

Like I said, the quality if well beyond local men's leagues, but it is mostly men on the wrong side of 30 who like to say they are semi-professional athletes. They take it pretty seriously, so it will be no cakewalk for the TFC Academy players. I remember Toronto Croatia used to field some retired professionals from places like Croatia, Bosnia and Greece who immigrated to Canada after retiring. As far as I know they've always been the class of the league although the Wolves were pretty good too.

6. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
  7. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    It is strange. If you go to CSL website TFC Academy are not listed on the the standings page or the teams page, but they are listed in the schedule and there is this article in the news section.

http://www.canadiansoccerleague.ca/news2.php?news_id=85923

I'm thinking that the CSL team is going to be mostly young guys because don't the TFC reserves have an MLS Reserve Schedule.

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    No mention of that anywhere.

9. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The impact's 'farm team' is the tres riviours or something like that. And yes the TFC academy team will be young players as the reserve team plays in the MLS Reserve Division, so you'll probably see the U18 team playing in this league.

10. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Trois-Riviere Attak (or whatever the team name is) is the Impact's reserve squad.

11. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the limited amount of actual MLS reserve games, my money is on a mixture of reserve/development players and youth players. Also, you might see some trialist in these types of games. And no, I'm not talking about a high profile one, but the type that get the one or several day reserve contracts to play in games. Someone that is trying to get a development slot.

Maybe someone with more time can do a comparison between the CSL schedule with the reserve team schedule to see if there is an overlap. :D

12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I wonder, though. Using developmental players who are paid alongside the youth players wrecks the youths NCAA eligibility, and I know a lot of young Canadian players would still like to have the option open to them of playing collegiately in the US.

13. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Then they should play for the Lynx in the PDL. You don't join a professional team's academy to retain your amateur eligibility.

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    The entire premise behind the MLS youth academies is that you can finesse your way around this. And obviously the premise is true, since Red Bulls Youth player Matt Kassel is heading to Maryland in the fall.

15. adammac19

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Since I had nothing to do I will try :p

CSL fixtures

TFC Reserve Fixtures

There is direct conflict with May 25, August 24 and September 21

There are more issues with one game being only a few days before a reserve match like.

- May 22nd we have a reserve match away to D.C then on the 23rd we have a CSL game home

- June 27th we have a CSL game at home and we have a June 29th reserve game away to New England

- July 12th we have a CSL game away and on July 13th the reserves play away to Chicago.

There are conflicts with the games but I like the idea of having a lot more matches in the summer months with the CSL then you get with the reserves league.

16. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I saw on the Red Patch Boys site they are going to be charging 18 bucks a ticket to watch an Academy game at Lamport.... A bit steep.

17. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yep.

It should also be pointed out that the TFC Academy team in the CSL isn't even going to be managed by TFC, but rather by the CSL itself.

It looks like the CSA has indeed left some room on board the failboat.

18. adammac19

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Really?

The is odd because I would think that the whole point of the TFC Academy is to mold players into the system of Toronto FC and to do that is for the club to have their own youth coaches.

19. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's still TFC's academy, but the day to day operations of the team will be managed by the CSL itself.

20. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not really that odd. It sounds like the TFC is still doing the coaching and selecting the players, it's just CSL doing the operations of day of game and those types of items. Both Chicago and Colorado are involved with PDL teams, they provide the coaching staff and select players and another group runs the club day to day.

21. adammac19

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    TFC finalizes Academy technical staff​

22. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was hoping they were going to look abroad for the youth staff as well. Oh well at least it looks like they have gone with people who have experience coaching young players.

23. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually impressed with the backgrounds of these coaches, especially Nick Dasovic. He has both domestic playing experience, has been involved in development at both the club and national team level. In addition he has UEFA coaching badges. So not only does he have a broad background, but understands the Canadien player.

24. WelshCelt

WelshCelt New Member

May 31, 2007
    Glasgow / Cardiff
    This is an excellent plan, I think the pay off will be huge for Toronto in years to come. Best of luck to them.:)