top Sports Cities MSN (Expansion MLS)

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Cleve-MLS-fan, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Cleve-MLS-fan

Cleve-MLS-fan New Member

Feb 5, 2001
    just food for thought MSN ranked cities for sports activity/interest
    just top 26+ with my additions

1. Boston-Revs
    2. Oakland-San Francisco-San Jose-Quakes
    3. New York-Long Island-New Jersey-Metros
    4. Houston- Great Market no Mexican soccer fans here
    5. Los Angeles-Anaheim-Glxy and Chivas(Shaking Head Disdainfully)
    6. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-oops , no soccer fans here
    7. Detroit -suprisingly strong base of ethnic soccer fans and great sports fans
    8. Dallas-Fort Worth-Burn-Burn or whoever (keep the name unless you pick a cool regionally based name)
    9. Philadelphia
    10. Minneapolis-St. Paul
    11. Chicago-Fire
    12. Denver-Rapids
    13. Atlanta - good drawing/winning A league team needs own stadium, Building I think??
    14. Tampa-St. Petersburg-see miami oops (I think with the right owner and marketing Soccer could work in Florida- how could it not with youth/weather)
    15. Seattle see Atlanta but need SSS
    16. Indianapolis right stadium/owner why not? nice Cbus rivalry
    17. Baltimore-Washington-DC United
    18. St. Louis - Strongest candidate
    19. Nashville -MCR-Mid Country Region needs a team
    20. Phoenix- great sports fans , no mexican followers here either
    21. Charlotte-MCR-Mid Country see above
    22. New Orleans-pdl good sports town
    23. Salt Lake City- (best Marv Albert impersonation YYEESS!) Good call, must work out relation with PSL team Utah Blitz, Super sports fans+owner (Damn you for Tempting/Stealing Boozer)
    24. Pittsburgh-psl team drew well in a league and won year before would do GREAT with a SSS Stadium
    25. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, N.C.- MCR-Mid see above
    26. Toronto-Great Town love to visit their on a crew Roadie , rather have a team here than LA(again, i hope Anshultz bent over Chivas and got a huge fee to share his pie in LA, he deserves a founders respect)

39. too low a number Cleveland - Dont count us out, The ownership group while setback is still interested

http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/summit/109161195945010.xml?ncounty_summit

and were the 16th largest TV/Metro area, with Rabid sports fans, soccers huge on the youth level (20+ yrs) , and there is a growing 35+ base (me) with their own kids, who raised on soccer (as Players still playing/maybe now coaching AND Fans) and a large ethnic fan base

I think MLS/US Soccers future is bright, I think its a shame that LA will have two teams while the league still so young and in need of increasing its geographic footprint (its so much easier to root for/follow a close team),
    making new fans (the game is the most fun watch LIVE)

Either way it would appear even A league teams are getting better and running their operations solidly (Rochester, Richmond, Charleston, Portland, Milwaukee, Virginia Beach, Minnesota, and Seattle -seem to have gotten good results and been professionally run teams).

Take a friend to a local game near you.

2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't a ranking of pro sports, I take it. If so, there's no way The SF Bay Area ever rates higher than Chi-town.

My list would be something like this:

1. Boston
    2. New York
    3. Philadelphia
    4. Chicago
    5. Detroit
    6. Dallas

15. Los Angeles

20. San Francisco Bay Area

75. Charlotte

86. Tampa Bay

94. Miami

10016. Atlanta.

3. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was good to see Salt Lake rated so highly in that list.

4. Cleve-MLS-fan

Cleve-MLS-fan New Member

Feb 5, 2001
    http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2631604 the actual list itself

"To be included in these rankings, a city must have at least an NCAA Division I basketball team or a Class A minor league baseball team, or it must score in select other categories upon which we base our rankings. Those other categories include being the site of a training camp for a major league or NFL team; a NASCAR Nextel Cup race; an NCAA Division I-A bowl game; a PGA Tour tournament, or a Triple Crown horse race. " (IGNORING MLS AND USL SOCCER Involvement-an oversight i say)

"Once a city meets the minimum criteria, we take a 12-month snapshot, roughly from July to July, of the sports atmosphere, putting a heavy premium on regular-season records (from the most recently completed season); playoff berths, bowl appearances and tournament bids; championships; applicable power ratings; quality of competition; overall fan fervor, as measured in part by attendance as a percentage of venue capacity; sports atmosphere and fan knowledge; abundance of teams, though we reward quality over quantity; stadium/arena quality; ticket availability and prices; franchise ownership, and marquee appeal of athletes.

Tradition plays a minimal role because this is a 12-month ranking that starts over each year. Likewise, we choose not to delve into sports about which we aren't experts. And, yes, it's true: We have not visited every city on this list in the past 12 months."

--I think the list itself while long, excludes some basic sports historical facts, and viability realities. Your thoughts...

5. ChuckA

ChuckA New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA

You're an idiot!