Top-Rated Players of the Bundesliga (1963-2010)

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Gregoriak, Aug 13, 2010.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah he played 23 games for Forest too that season - http://www.bridportred.com/1970s/1979-1980 results & teams.htm
    But his Bundesliga average rating from Kicker might have dropped if he'd had more games to play I suppose. He probably wouldn't be in the running for Player of the Year with only 20 games anyway.

2. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
  3. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
  4. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Regarding the grades in the 1960s it is noteworthy to mention that from 1963 to November 1968, these grades were exclusively handed out by "Sportmagazin", not "Kicker". Both were competing magazines until they merged in November 1968 to form "kicker sportmagazin".

"Kicker" did not give grades before that date.

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just looking back at this again Greg (after you provided the link again - I'd been looking at the 'world class' 'international class' etc classifications more recently) I'd say it seems clear that Sportmagazin might have used the same scale but was generally more generous - good to review the cut-off date, although I don't know whether there was immediately a review of the grading or how many Sportmagazin journalists were still involved in handing out grades.

Anyway, that seems to be a reason grades are generally higher right at the start of the whole period as compared to a few years later - and so it's not really feasible to compare the numbers between mid 60's and mid 70's say.

6. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I don't know much details about the merger only that under the moniker "kicker-sportmagazin" grades were given to players for league games, which "kicker" did not do previously. It was a "sportmagazin" tradition. It is still "kicker-sportmagazin" today but people refer to it just as "kicker", so in the long run it was "Kicker" that prevailed in this merger, while officially "sportmagazin" is also still there, but nobody refers to it solely as "sportmagazin".

PDG1978 repped this.