****TOP PROSPECTS - ITALIA

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Stamos, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This thread is for the current top prospects of La Nazionale Italiana.

**Per my rules, prospects are between the ages of 18-25. I have compiled a list based on my research and knowledge. I am not stating it is comprehensive, complete or whom I believe to be the 'future' of the squad. It is merely names that should not be ignored and that everyone should follow. Hopefully, most impress through the next two years and beyond and we see a new Golden Generation for Italia.

**New names are encouraged. If submitted, give a brief explanation on why you feel this prospect should be included and what he may be able to bring to the squad.

**Let's keep this thread positive and encouraging. No attacking others based on ideas or/and selections.

Grazie amici

Without further ado, here are the TOP PROSPECTS of La Nazionale Italiana:

GOALIES:
    Simone Scuffet -18
    Nicola Leali -21
    Francesco Bardi -22
    Mattia Perin -21
    Simone Colombi - 22

DEFENSE:
    Mario Sampirisi – 21 -rcb
    Giulio Donati – 24 –rb
    Luca Caldirola – 23 –lcb
    Matteo Bianchetti – 21 –rcb
    Cristiano Biraghi – 21 –lb
    Vasco Regini – 23 –lb
    Davide Santon – 23 –lb/rb
    Mattia De Sciglio – 21 –rb/lb
    Matteo Darmian -24 -rb
    Federico Ceccherini -21 –rcb
    Alessio Romagnoli -19 –lcb
    Nicola Murru -21 –lb
    Cristiano Piccini -21 –rb
    Luca Antei –21 -cb
    Daniele Rugani –19 -cb
    Michele Camporese -21 –cb
    Marco Capuano -22 –lcb
    Alberto Masi -21 -rcb

CENTRAL MIDFIELD:

Daniele Baselli -22
    Marco Benassi – 19
    Marco Verratti – 21
    Federico Viviani – 22
    Fausto Rossi – 23
    Danilo Cataldi – 19
    Lorenzo Crisetig – 21
    Luca Marrone – 24
    Nicola Sansone – 22
    Marco Crimi – 24
    Andrea Bertolacci – 23
    Andrea Poli -24
    Bryan Cristante -19

WINGERS:
    Giacomo Bonaventura – 24 –LW/LM
    Alessandro Florenzi – 23 –RW/RM
    Lorenzo Insigne -23 -LW
    Riccardo Saponara –22 -RW/LW
    Ezequiel Schelotto – 25 –RW
    Stephen El Shaarawy – 21 –LW
    Roberto Insigne – 20 –RW
    Simone Verdi – 21 – LW
    Federico Bernardeschi – 20 –RW/LW

STRIKERS:
    Andrea Belotti – 20
    Ciro Immobile -24
    Domenico Berardi -19
    Simone Zaza -22
    Manolo Gabbiadini -22
    Mattia Destro -23
    Fabio Borini -23
    Mario Balotelli -23
    Samuele Longo -22
    Alberto Paloschi -24

2. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Good list, and I believe we have some future pieces on that list for positive results.

Problem is, who will give them a chance, or will they have to leave to develop and prosper?

Stamos repped this.
  3. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Grazie.

That is the concern at the moment. There's some great talent but many Italian clubs are refusing to give them a chance...it's concerning.

Unico10 repped this.
  4. Calabrese5

Calabrese5 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can we bend the rules a little bit... Hachim Mastour AC MILAN.. i believe he just turned 16 and will play first team for Milan this year

jerrito repped this.
  5. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #5 Stamos, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    With all due respect, I think Mastour needs time to develop his game. There is no rush to include him into the conversation yet.

Looking at the Prospects list, it becomes obvious that for the first time in many, many years (perhaps ever), our strongest talent is on the wings. It's exciting to think that we could become a wide attacking side, very creative with good pace.

If I was NT Manager, I'd select with this in mind:

GK -3
    DEF -8
    MF -4/5
    WINGERS -4/5
    ST -3

My three strikers at the moment are: Berardi, Immobile, and Rossi. Gabbiadini is a close fourth, I think he is terrific with that left foot.

Our biggest weakness is at CB. Hopefully, one or two of those names in the Prospects list come through and one or two younger veterans (Rancaglia, Paletta, Rannochia, etc.) step up. Barzagli is great, but the years are sadly catching up to him.

6. O'Ghiattone

O'Ghiattone Member+

Jan 11, 2014
    Ireland
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Jorginho from Napoli will be available for Italy from December. Battocchio from Watford is another that might make the grade if Udinese were to bring him back to Italy

7. Gatorbomb

Gatorbomb Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Rugani is our next big CB prospect, enjoyed a good season helping empoli's promotion to serie a. Will gain serie a experience next year and just turned 20.

Unico10 repped this.
  8. O'Ghiattone

O'Ghiattone Member+

Jan 11, 2014
    Ireland
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yep Rugani is class, could be the real deal

9. St. Michael's Sword

Mar 7, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think you guys are confused. We are ITALIAN that means our CB prospects are 26~28 and start from 29-35.

(I do believe Rugani will be class though)

jerrito and FORZA NAPOLI <3 repped this.
  10. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm hoping that these last two World Cups change this outdated, Italian way of thinking S.M. Sword.

And great list Stamos. You hit on every young player I was thinking about. The trident at Sassuolo especially….

jerrito and Stamos repped this.
  11. St. Michael's Sword

Mar 7, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I still have hope we can get a few years more out of Chiellini and Bonucci. I agree though. We have a pretty bad youth mentality. @Stamos great list. Take my rep.

Stamos repped this.
  12. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Grazie for the nominations. I forgot about Jorginho and I don't know how. I will add him on my next update as he is a very special player.

As for Cristian Battocchio, I will add him as well. He has potential to break out as a deep lying playmaker; hopefully finds his way to a Serie A side or a club who will give him time to play.

13. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Not to criticize, but did you deliberately leave Destro off your list of strikers? :p

14. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He's there ;)

15. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    No I meant in terms of your "top 3 strikers" at the moment.

16. Dukea

Dukea Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Here's my question. Do we have a Trequartista? A poorman Totti type player who can actually pass.

17. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh, my apologies, I misread that.

In my eyes, Destro needs another season to prove himself. I'm still not 100% convinced in his ability to be consistent. And if I am being honest, the fact that he 'reportedly' turned down Prandelli's request for him to be a reserve this year is something I'm not happy about.

18. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not really...I think we're moving towards wingers (creative with pace) as the new trend.

If I had to say a name as to who can play as a Trequartista, I'd say Riccardo Saponara. But he's still got a lot to prove.

Dukea repped this.
  19. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Players to inject into the team immediately:

Bonaventura, Destro, Rossi, Florenzi

20. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Would it be possible to sticky this thread? It is a topic that will always be relevant, especially considering the imminent overhaul of this team.

21. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Don't expect any more 'Super Mario':

De Rossi has called out Balotelli, saying 'we don't need no Panini stickers. We need real men on this team'.
    After not showing Prandelli respect on his way out, deciding to sit on the bus by himself while everyone was in the locker room...

Finally. So tired of his antics and media show. This is Italia, not Team Mario. Total primadonna and just a huge suck. Hopefully the next in charge of this side ignores him and picks talent willing to help the team.

jerrito repped this.
  22. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Verratti is good enough to be a trequartista.

jerrito, el napulitan and Stamos repped this.
  23. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #23 Stamos, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    I've been thinking about how to restore Italy's defence - to bring it back to what it used to be. What I do know, and what is obvious, is that we no longer have elite defenders like Maldini, Cannavaro and Nesta. Nonetheless, we have some talent.

But let's think creative here - you can strengthen your defense not only by having a strong backline, but also a midfield that can defend well. I think this is where Verratti comes into the picture - we all talk about how good he is offensively, and he is...but how about his strong (and underrated) defensive talent? He reads his opponent well, tracks back, not afraid to tackle and is generally very present defensively. Moving away from Pirlo, we now have the luxury of not only having a heir apparent in someone pulling the strings in midfield, but also a capable defender.

Now, to further strengthen that defence, you need another ball winner and tackler - De Rossi. He's strong, experienced, reads the opponent well and can break up an attack. He's getting older (30), but he's an important link to developing our younger talent from a defensive standpoint. You add Marchisio to the mix, and all of a sudden, defensively speaking, you're strong.

In regards to our centre backs, Chiellini should have another 3 or 4 years of service in him. Rugani, a future Juve talent sooner rather than later I believe, had a great year with Empoli - led their backline and I'd like to see him in this squad.

The important theme of this post is defense - getting back to what made us good. Though defensive talent is sparse, we have enough to strengthen it by using both our backline and midfield talent.

Imagine this 11:

[​IMG]

24. Free Sempre X

Free Sempre X Member

Nov 3, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some of these young Italians will need to go abroad for experience and to truly grow given the problems of Serie A.

Verratti went to Ligue 1, and look how he's developed.

25. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    21 years old and looked like a veteran out there. Let's hope ciro get's some solid playing time in cl with bvb.

jerrito and St. Michael's Sword repped this.