Top League for Yanks Abroad (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Red Star, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    Gentlepersons,

As I was contemplating the approaching match between Reyna and Keller (Carling Cup?) a stray thought occurred to me. Is the English Premiership the top league for the numbers of Yanks Abroad in terms of number of players? I figured that I would go to the font of all that is good and pure for the answer Big Soccer!

If the English Premier League really has more Yanks than any other league outside the USofA it seems to me that this is a good sign for US soccer. My only thought to the contrary is that perhaps one of the lower German leagues may have more Yanks.

Any idea?

Cheers

2. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By my count, you are correct:

EPL - 5
    Bundesliga 2 - 4
    Dutch - 3
    Norway, English 1, Belgium , Denmark - 2
    Bundesliga, English 2, France - 1

3. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    We have like 15 guys in the Regonalia (sp?)

4. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    which one?

Aren't they spread over 3 or 4 divisions? I really am a bit hazy on the organization of German lower leagues. (Not surprisingly it rarely comes up in conversation.) I do know however that if you go low enough they are split up geographically.

5. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    If you count the yungins in academies also, then the Premiership definately has the most Amis.

6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

who is the third american in eredivisie after JOB and johnson?

7. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the best sign for US soccer is when we finally see players in Spain and Italy. These are the 2 top leagues in the world. And if players finally go to Italy we will know they will become better players. Because every player that leaves Italy is a better player than before they arrived in Italy. The same can't be said for England and Germany.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Re: Re: Top League for Yanks Abroad (R)

Not always true. Lalas sucked when he went to Italy and he sucked when he came back.

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i don't want our players in serie blAh (although with milan would be cool) - i don't want them learning 'calcio', which is certainly italian for whiny, backpass, diving football

10. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if by 'learn calcio' you mean the things that Zidane, Henry, Mutu, Crespo, Desailly, Batistuta, Shevchenko, Gullit, Van Basten, Nedved, Davids, Maradona, etc. all learned then I guess your right. We don't need our players learning all the crap skills that those players learned in Italy do we? :rolleyes:

11. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Don't forget, if it wasn't for the idiots in the Home Office, Bobby Convey would be in the EPL too.

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    and which ones 'developed' in serie A? i'll give you mutu... anyone else? - van freakin basten?! who are you kidding dude?

zidane - bordeaux
    henry - monaco
    crespo - river plate
    desailly - nantes
    batigol - boca jr
    maradona - boca jr
    sheva - dynamo kyiv
    gullit - psv
    van B - AJAX
    davids - AJAX
    nedved - sparta prague

these guys were already established studs before they made money moves to serie A so roll your eyes back into your head - nice try... learned in italy... HA!

13. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I ever say they developed in Serie A? No I didn't. I said all of those players became better players in Serie A than before they came to Italy. And you can't deny that.

14. Emre5

Emre5 New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    chelsea,the death of
    Hey Spartak

while I will agree that more americans in italy and spain will be great, I have to disagree with your comment that all players leave italy as better footballers.
    numerous examples of players who rotted in italy after making it in top leagues before italy are:
    Gazza - was a top talent in EPL (maybe you will quote his injury problems?
    Ian Rush - England
    Lalas - as mentioned previously
    Gaizka Mendieta - Played wicked good in valencia (and just recently has found his form :) )
    ivan De la Peña - was fantastic in spain, but fell off the radar in italy(lazio)

I'm sure others can add some names I have omitted. But my point is that a blatant sweeping generalization that all players improve in italy is wrong.

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Italian football won't be able to keep its current level of play for much longer. Just wait until the European Union declares Berlusconi's new bogus financial law for clubs as illegal, many Italian teams will join the Fiorentina in the graveyard. And rightfully so, I might add, because this kind of spending is simply an unfair advantage. Hell, if Grasshoppers were able to spend 500 mio. on their team, we would be more competitive in Europe also.

Lazio: 472 mio. debt
    Roma: 340 mio. debt

Ridiculous...

16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    \

Charles Kazlausakas at NEC, though he has been invited to find a new club as he has never actually played. But he is on the pro team, so he counts.

As for the Regionalliga, that's probably right. But I don't track the third level leagues anywhere but England (because I believe the quality is higher), so I don't count those in my count. That's just my way of doing it.

17. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Re: Hey Spartak

Henry sucked in Italy...

18. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Re: Re: Hey Spartak

as anybody who relies on the beautiful game might - i will amend my earlier statement though... i'd be cool if we had sturdy striker types in italy - if buddle,casey, etc. could handle that hatchet league they could handle anything