Top Israeli Officer Says Tactics Are Backfiring

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Matrim55, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well this is a breath of fresh air for both sides. If Yaalon (who ain't no dove) is coming out against Sharon's plan, then there's definite hope for a long-overdue change in Israeli policy.

Not that I expect it to immediately deter the butchers and barbarians of Hamas. But stripping Sharon of his power base, and the deteriorating health of Arafat are two great signs that peace might not be a pipe dream.

2. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    File this one under "Duh."

On the one hand, I can't imagine the fear and frustration Israelis live with on a daily basis. I can see how that would create support for Sharon and the right wing, militant approach. But on the other hand, how effective are these targeted killings and crackdowns? It seemed clear months and months ago that they weren't stopping terrorism.

It seems (from the picture one gets in the US press, which isn't exactly the most accurate, even-handed and thorough picture of the situation, but still) that Sharon and his hard-line approach are on the way out. This can only be good for the peace process.

3. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    It's been clear for a long time that criminalizing murder hasn't eliminated homicide.

The only realistic goal is limiting terrorism. I generally agree with Yaalon, but I don't think it's so clear cut.

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Campania
    I read the story earlier and have been wondering about this statement:
    The Israelis are described as "citizens" (or foreign residents), but there is nothing descriptive about the 2,500 Palestinians. Just what percentage of them were civilians and how many were Hamas members? Is there any way to know?