Top Five & Worst Five

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by markspence02, Jun 21, 2007.

1. markspence02

markspence02 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    Fort Worth
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While becoming incresingly bored with the Dynamo v Chivas game I glanced over at my encased ticket from the inaugural Dallas Burn game and began to think of the Top 5 and Worst 5 ever Dallas Burn/FCD players.

One caveat- this is based on their performance as Burn/Hoops players not before or after their Dallas careers. (otherwise, Hugo Sanchez would be #1 for his time in La Liga)

My Top Five All-time Dallas players:

5) Ronnie O'Brien - incredible winger, poor attitude kept him from being a career player.

4) Carlos Ruiz - gifted goal poacher

3) Leonel Alvarez - midfield general and destroyer

2) Oscar Pareja - best creative midfielder in FCD history

1) Jason Kreis - all-time leading scorer in Dallas history

My Bottom Five All-time Dallas players:

5) D.J. Countess 5 wins 15 losses in 2003

4) Hamisi Amani-Dove - incredibly, he turned down offers in Europe to play in MLS & in 2005 played for the Virginia Beach Mariners.

3) Damian - just awful, Kenny Cooper should be embarrassed that he has the same goal total as this chump

2) Gerell Elliot - once called "fastest player in MLS" was outrun by turtle-speed Alexi Lalas

1) Ted Eck - the fact that he played (and started) professional football is a reflection on how much this league has grown since its beginning. As the Comic Book guy would say, "Worst footballer ever."

That's it...give me your's.

2. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    best:

1. Jason Kreis Superstar
    2. Oscar Pareja
    3. Dario Sala (for the passion)
    4. Leonel Alvarez (I was admittedly not around during his time)
    5. Carlos Ruiz

I can't make a worst list because I wasn't around for most of the worst guys, in the early days of the league. but one guy I did see who should go on the list was Eric Quill.

3. abilenecosmos

abilenecosmos Member

Nov 2, 2004
    The Rock
    Gerell Elliot? seriously? He was money for the first season. When you have Tom Soehn as player who really didn't give a shit about the team? I am going to have to disagree on this one.

4. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Graziani has to go on your best list, and maybe #1.

Jason was great for a while, but Graziani was a clutch player. Like O'Brien, he was petulant, but unlike O'Brien, he consistently delivered the goods.

I guess I have to agree with the assessment of "Train Wreck Eck", but I still liked him. Nobody fought harder for the club (with less talent).

Zarco deserves honorable mention. He was a steadying force that kept us from having the kind of back line performance we frequently see these days.

My only negative on Oscar (who I think walks on water) is that someone should have helped him develop more of a goal-scorer's mentality, like CC did with O'Brien two years ago. Oscar could hold the ball better than anyone, and could make the most incredible through passes, but he also should have tallied a few of his own. I think he was just too unselfish to think in those terms. I just would have loved for him to get a bit more glory.

...And I am praying that Juan Carlos is the second coming of Papi.

5. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta slap EJ on the worst list. He sucked the life out of the team more than he helped. Can't help but factor in the wasted talent aspect of his tenure in Dallas. There have been worse players but not many that wasted more and that bounces him in.

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Chad Ashton in the "worst" list?

Here are my lists:

1. Ariel Graziani. There's a reason why he's bounced around so much in his career, but the guy could put it in the back of the net like few people ever could.

2. Alain Sutter. Flaky? Yup. But tremendously gifted. If only a pot hole in the middle of the training ground that we were using at Greenhill School hadn't screwed up his hip. (Anyone who thinks that this league hasn't taken huge steps in terms of professionalism is crazy. Just look at where this team was less than 10 years ago.)

3. Leonel Alvarez. The steel of the earlier Burn teams. The greatest captain that this team has ever had and a big reason why they probably had better records over that time than they probably should've, since he literally willed his teammates into playing to their potential.

4. Carlos Ruiz. A bit of a flake, but you know what? He's still one of the deadliest strikers in league history and he's money when playoff time rolls around.

5. Jason Kreis. The team's all-time leading scorer, but had a bad habit of disappearing after July over the years. Still, he was a great goalscorer and a deadly threat on freekicks inside 25-30 yards.

Honorable mention: Oscar Pareja, Mark Dodd

Worst five.

5. Shaka Hislop. Not a bad player, just overpaid by a factor of three.

4. Eric Quill. It wasn't so much that he was a bad player, it's that he just wasn't professional. Lazy as hell, wouldn't make the runs, gave up too often. Caused Jason Kreis to yell at me after a game in 2004 when the Inferno had been riding him all night for his crappy, unprofessional effort.

3. Peter Hattrup. Acquired in 1997 to replace Hugo Sanchez up front. Even wore Sanchez's #9. I'm not sure if he ever scored. Classic example of the APSL/A-League stud who made the step up to MLS when the league started and had a hard time. (I would also put Ted Eck in this category, but he had the good sense to reinvent himself has defensive midfielder.)

2. D.J. Countess. Probably doesn't deserve to be this low, but when you're strutting around as if you're God's gift to GKs when you've hardly played professionally, then you get a few points off for that. Worse if you're doing that even after you're the starting GK for one of the worst teams in league history.

1. Chad Ashton. The worst player that this team has ever had. The one and only good thing that he ever did was score a goal in July 1996 against DC United... after DC was up 6-0.

7. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lest we not forget Matt Jordan on our list of greats. He's had a really tough time since he failed in Germany, but he's doing really well for Montreal right now.

8. markspence02

markspence02 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    Fort Worth
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps the fact that Gerell Elliot was "money" for the first season is more of a poor reflection on the first season than on his skills. He was touted as one of the fastest players in MLS and never ever lived up to that billing. Plus there is no chance he would make a roster in MLS 2007.

Chad Ashton - I forgot about that guy. Didn't he have a dirty mustache? Another that would be more likely to make the USL than the MLS in '07.

I remember that 1-6 beating. Didn't Diaz-Arce get four goals or something terrible like that?

9. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm also beginng to think Dante Washington deserves honorable mention...

Very good at holding the ball, and very solid in the air.

Physical presence, and a good head for the game. Just think his legs began to give out on him when he came to us.

Getting older is a bitch when you're a pro athlete!

10. abilenecosmos

abilenecosmos Member

Nov 2, 2004
    The Rock
    Sorry I didn't realize that not being as fast as advertised made you a bad soccer player.

11. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said he was a bad soccer player...

Remember, I'm nominating him for honorable mention...

I said he began losing his legs, which made him less competitive in keeping his starting position with Dallas and other teams.

12. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I hate reading "worst player" lists on Bigsoccer because they never include the actual worst players, just high profile guys like Luis Hernandez.

I think Matt Behncke and Philip Salyer could deserve spots on your list.

BTW, Damian is the leading Mexican goalscorer in MLS history.

13. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is my list of worst 5 Burn players:
    5. Bobby Rhine
    4. Bobby Rhine
    3. Bobby Rhine
    2. Bobby Rhine
    1. Bobby Rhine

14. markspence02

markspence02 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    Fort Worth
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize that scoring 5 goals in the first season as a starting forward made him a "money" player. Furthermore, being a starting forward who relies on his speed and being slower than Lalas should also preclude someone from being termed "money."

15. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obsession is not good for you...let it go!

~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~

I have to agree with Jefe on the Chad Ashton thing - Ashton is definately in the bottom five. Peter Hattrup thought he was all that (he wasn't) and isolated himself from the team - not good in a team sport. A third player that comes to my mind is John Jairo Trellez - he just did not perform well on the field.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

TOP Players

Jason Kreis
    Leonel Alvarez
    Oscar Pareja
    Mark Dodd
    Ariel Graziani
    Jorge "Zarco" Rodriguez
    Dario Sala
    Carlos Ruiz

All players that could change the game in our favor when on the field - and whose absence often ended in disastor for the team.

16. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    If Ryan Suarez (sp?) isn't on your all time worst list then I'm disavowing everthing else.....the guy wrote the book on "Poseur".....never met a mirror he didn't love.

17. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Should be a straight red card for trashing the Eckster. He rocked, and his presence on the field disrupting the other team made it possible for others such as Alvarez and Sutter to shine.

Seriously, you want the worst player in a Burn uni? That's easy...

Joey Martinez. Just writing the letters of his name hurts my fingers.

18. abilenecosmos

abilenecosmos Member

Nov 2, 2004
    The Rock
    OK so terming Elliot "money" was an overstatement, but I definitely don't think he belongs on a list of worst players ever for Dallas.

19. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. The first season, I chanted "Sit down, Eck!" as loud as anyone. You have to remember that the Dallas Burn's first draftpick was out of position. Dir needed him to come in as a forward, a position that ill suited his style of 90 minutes of chruning legs and flailing arms. Everybody remember that quote?

A few years later, as the game wore down and the Burn had a one goal lead, I was chanting "Eck! Eck! Eck!" as loudly as anyone else. At thisi time in the MLS, teams tended to depend on one Latin schemer; El Pibe, El Diablo, Cienfuegos, et al. Eck would force these guys to go so far to pick up the ball, they were out of the game. Eck could shut down anyone for ten minutes. He was one of the reasons that the Burn rarely lost games late.

Top 5
    1. Jason Kreis. I have to go with JK9.
    2. Areil Graziani. The G Man dove a lot, but was lethal and clutch. Sound like a striker we have now.
    3. Osacr Pareja. Sills bleeds read and black.
    4. Leonel Alverez. Great d mid who could attack as well.
    5. Mark Dodd. Kept the Burn in a lot of games.

Bottom 5
    1. Chad Ashton. Enough said.
    2. Jason Evens. It was fun to watch him fall down all the time.
    3. Peter Hattrup. See Pimus Optimus Maximus's post above.
    4. Carl Bussey. Great speed, but did not cross as well as Franz Carr. In one game, his first cross dribbled over the end line right were he kicked it from. His second was into the seats.
    5. Josue Mayard. Just useless.

Dead but dreaming,
    Scipio Diabolus,
    vox fatum.

Contra.

Lennon at City Ground.

20. VivaIslamico

VivaIslamico Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if I have anything to add to the "best" list, but I certainly can name my 5 favorites. (in no particular order)

Ronnie O'Brien - The early Ronnie years, happy Ronnie.

Ted Eck - Always put a big smile on my face to see him laying down the smack. Best role player ever.

Juan Carlos Toja - Perhaps not cool to put a newbie on an all time list, but this team is only 11 years old. I just know I enjoy watching him play more than any player I've seen in Dallas' colors.

Dario Sala - Big, big balls. Scares the piss out of me on occasion but somehow that just makes me love him even more.

Joselito Vaca - OK, this one needs some explaining, but I don't know if I have much of an explanation. I just really latched on to this guy from the second we drafted him. I think mostly I was just scared that the big kids were going to crush the little kid. In any case, for his entire time I kept rooting for him to become the greatest playmaker ever. Subjective lists are weird, eh?

So I feel like a bit of an asshole for not including some of the consensus choices like Kreis, Pareja, Alvarez, Graziani. But I'm sticking with my 5. Those were the guys I did (do) most of my yelling for.

21. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i find it somewhat ironic that "worst" lists include players that were good enough to start. The real worst players never even had a chance in hell of seeing the field.

Percy Oliveras perhaps.
    Mayard I might agree with.

but not to bash any kids, but there have been some crap players on the bottom of the roster with little real game.

22. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    damn! you beat me to it, Percy Oliveras = one of the all time worst Burn players. The best play he had in a red jersey was a wild run in the box in 2002 that got us a PK against New England. I'm pretty sure he fouled some dude on the way and dove when he got in the box.

Eric Quill was a whole bag of suck too, and the Inferno let him know in 2004, thus having Captain Kreis come and put us in timeout :rolleyes:

what about John Kerr? I don't really remember much of him in 1996 but I remember him when he got older and played for the Earthquakes (?) and was the biggest hack on the field.

23. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    I am amazed that all the old timers and 96'ers on this
    thread have not at least given honorable mention to,
    if not given a solid all-time-worst ranking to, one
    Tommy Soehn, if not for his record of futility on the
    field, but simply for that one single play, the 45-yard
    upper-90 headed own goal past Dodd 3 minutes in to
    first half injury time at RFK.

Worst conceded goal in team history, scored on ourselves.

Someone who can "burn" vhs to dvr or .wmv needs to get
    that one on youtube, or at least host it so newcomers can
    see it.

-bs

24. markspence02

markspence02 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    Fort Worth
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but it wouldn't be any fun to bash Matt Napoleon.

25. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's my schtick and I'm sticking to it.