Top 50 Prospects for 2008 Olympics (U23)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by voros, Nov 13, 2006.

1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interesting twist on the lists I do for the senior team, here's one for the Olympics.

If there are overage exceptions, obviously a few other guys will be added (Goalkeeper is a usual choice), but looking strictly at U23s, here's my top 50 so far. Note: being somewhat unknown can help you at the bottom of the list since there's a greater chance you could be really good, and whether you're terrible or merely mediocre, you're not making the team either way.

Players in bold have caps for the senior team.

GOALKEEPERS
    1. Chris Seitz, University of Maryland
    2. Quentin Westberg, Troyes (France)
    3. Tally Hall, San Diego State University
    4. Jason Landers, St. John's University
    5. Nicholas Skverer, NEC Nijmegen (Holland)

DEFENDERS
    1. Jonathan Spector, West Ham United (England)
    2. Marvell Wynne Jr., New York Red Bulls
    3. Nathan Sturgis, Los Angeles Galaxy
    4. Quavas Kirk, Los Angeles Galaxy
    5. Hunter Freeman, Colorado Rapids
    6. Patrick Ianni, Houston Dynamo
    7. Tim Ward, Columbus Crew
    8. Omar Gonzalez, University of Maryland
    9. Neven Subotic, Mainz (Germany)
    10. Michael Videira, Duke University
    11. Blake Wagner, FC Dallas
    12. Erik Hort, Sparta Prague (Czech Republic)
    13. Patrick Phelan, Wake Forest University
    14. Jamil Fearrington, FC Kobenhavn (Denmark)
    15. Mike Randolph, Los Angeles Galaxy

MIDFIELDERS
    1. Freddy Adu, D.C. United
    2. Benny Feilhaber, Hamburg (Germany)
    3. Eddie Gaven, Columbus Crew
    4. Michael Bradley, Hereenveen (Holland)
    5. Lee Nguyen, PSV Eindhoven (Holland)
    6. Robbie Rogers, Hereenveen (Holland)
    7. Sacha Kljestan, Chivas USA
    8. Danny Szetela, Columbus Crew
    9. Sonny Guadarrama, Santos (Mexico)
    10. Dax McCarty, FC Dallas
    11. Sal Zizzo, UCLA
    12. Maurice Edu, University of Maryland
    13. Arturo Alvarez, FC Dallas
    14. Stuart Holden, Houston Dynamo
    15. Rodrigo Lopez, Chivas USA
    16. Stephen King, University of Maryland
    17. Nicolas Torres, Club Deportivo Espanol (Argentina)
    18. Nikolas Besagno, Real Salt Lake
    19. Jonathan Villanueva, University of Virginia
    20. Miguel Gonzalez, New England Revolution

FORWARDS
    1. Johann Smith, Bolton (England)
    2. Josmer Altidore, New York Red Bulls
    3. Chad Barrett, Chicago Fire
    4. Charlie Davies, Boston College
    5. David Arvizu, New York Red Bulls
    6. Sammy Ochoa, Tecos (Mexico)
    7. Jacob Peterson, Colorado Rapids
    8. Preston Zimmerman, Hamburg (Germany)
    9. Jamie Watson, Real Salt Lake
    10. Joseph LaPira, University of Notre Dame

2. bigjoe

bigjoe Red Card

Nov 10, 2006
    Great list. Does J. Johnson at Wolves rate a mention?
    Will K. Cooper still be eligible?

3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching the ACC tournament, you should add that Grelle kid from Duke to the forwards.

4. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grella just missed. I preferred the pro players simply because I think they're better positioned to make the 2008 Olympic team even if maybe their longer term abilities aren't quite as good.

Jemal Johnson was omitted because he hasn't given any indication he wants to play for us.

Unfortunately, there's a good list of players who just miss the cutoff by a few months: Mapp, Cooper, Bornstein, Pearce, Guzan and Quaranta were all born in the 2nd half of 1984, just missing the cutoff.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Have you actually seen Tally Hall play and what makes you think he's the third best GK in America born in 1985 or later?

6. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope I haven't. He's impressed the Hermann folks twice now, has excellent save percentage stats, was 3rd team All-america last year and isn't undersized. He's given up a lot of goals (relatively), but then he's faced a lot of shots due to the mediocre team around him.

I mean who knows at this point.

7. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Kamani Hill is a possibility at forward.

8. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    2 others that could warrant mention are Jon Villanueva and Ellis Mcloughlin. Don't know much about either but I have seen their names mentioned many times in a positive light.

9. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McLoughlin will only be 17 and hasn't even played at the NCAA level yet, much less the pros. I mean he could make it but he's a longshot.

Villanueva is listed.

10. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Whoops, missed Jonny V. Apologies.

And I know that Mcloughlin is young but as far as I know he is doing pretty well at the U17 level. Stranger things have happened, thats for sure. Either way, its a good list.

11. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure he could make it, but I had 10 forward spots and I wouldn't list him any higher than 15, I think. We'll get a better idea with Ellis after U17 qualifying and (hopefully) the U17 Championships. He would also almost certainly need to go Gen Adidas (or to Europe) in a month to have anything more than a glimmer of a chance.

I have no in-depth scouting report on Lapira other than the fact he's got a stunning 20 goals in 1254 minutes without any penalties padding the total. His stats also say he's gotten away 95 shots which is a HUGE number for that many minutes. I haven't heard whether he is coming out or not, but it's difficult to imagine him improving his stock with a senior season. The transition from NCAA scoring god to MLS has proven to be not that easy, so we will see.

12. wingzero13

wingzero13 New Member

May 13, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hall is an excellent keeper, maybe not top 3 right now, but definately worth a mention at top 5. He is a monster in the net. In every match i've seen him in he has been the better keeper. He has a young and undersized (with the exception of Cardenas)defense in front of him so he is constantly under fire. I might be a little biased being that i'm an aztec, but he is good and i think the Hermann people have good reason to have him listed.

Unsubstantiated rumour of the Day: I talked to Tally Hall's roommate on Halloween and Hall is looking to go to europe after this semester. He is going to drop out his last semester of school and try and play in some Scandinavian League. Apparently he has some connections. I let you know if anything comes out of this little rumour.

13. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Phelan is a decent player, but his teammate Valentin is a much better prospect and a good bet to go pro this year. Cardenas is another worth mentioning. Sean Franklin is another very good college player who could contend for the backup rightback spot.

14. ScottyB10

ScottyB10 Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Mark my words, Dax McCarty is going to be a big factor in the midfield for the Senior team

15. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Having watched the videos of several of the U20 games in the past year, I have to agree. He is a terrific two-way player. Good passer. Very clean touch. Shoots well. Plays good D. The Feilhaber of this cycle.

16. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a few players that could be inserted in the top 50, if healthy:

Capano
    Will John
    Movsisyan(is he going to be an American citizen?)
    Christian Jiminez? - I was browsing through some old 2005 U-20 qualifying names and ran across his as showing well in a few matches, where is he now?

17. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Last I heard Christian Jimenez is a Real Salt Lake. He is rehabbing from surgery for a torn ACL.

18. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Benny Feilhaber will be probably the best player in Olympic 2008 for US team.

This guy has bright future with USMNT as well.

19. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Yeah, could be Reyna of the future. Except with dribbling ability. Future #10 for sure.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Perhaps. He'll certainly be one of the better players, though if he were beaten out at central midfield by Michael Bradley and Freddy Adu, no one would be shocked. Also, Jozy Altidore just might be the best Olympic player, or, that honor could go to a back like Marvell Wynne or Jonathan Spector.

And, I wouldn't rule out - though I wouldn't hold my breath, either - of a return to form of Eddie Gaven, who still has the potential to be very, very good.

A lot of talent in this U23 pool.

Indeed. Not trying to diss Benny. Just pointing out he isn't the only special player in his generation and he could emerge as the Alpha male and be the mac daddy of this generation or a very good supporting player.

21. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Wow this talent is just awsome IMHO. Questions....(sorry I know these probably have been answered hundreds of times before)...but

1) Overage players? (last I thought I heard that answer was no)

2) Talent, experience wise....I would say that this team is better than the team that didn't qualify last go around....agree? I mean that team was absolutely loaded with quality attacking options (Donovan, Beasley, Convey)....but ultimately was extremely weak defensively.....

3) The composition of the midfield IMHO is going to be the most important thing. I mean who do you start? What combinations do you pick from there? That is some sick talent.

4) I don't think we have great depth defensively (it's ok), but the starters are sick. Ward - Sturgis - Spector - Wynne.....that is the best D line we probably had in at least 8 years at a youth tourny. Do you all agree re: depth or are some of the players I know little about....much better tahn I am giving them credit for?

5) I think my preferred midfield would be in a 4-5-1 with Altidore up top (I think he actually is the type of forward that actually fits that formation).

You put Adu up top high
    Nguyen and Rogers on the wings
    2 of 3 of (Bradley, Feilhaber and McCarty)

That is very nice...especially with the quality of the three "holding"/defensive midfield.

Does our #1 four man midfield possibly exclude Adu? We know that Wynne will be flying up the wings.....so why not.....

Nguyen, Bradley, Feilhaber, McCarty? Not enough "creativity"?

Regardless, I think other teams have been dependent on their superstars...this team doesn't have to rely on Adu solely....

6) IS GK weak? or are they just people I haven't really heard too much about. Wasn't too impressed with the kid in France at the other tournies I have seen him at...but haven't seen him lately.....