Top 5 individual performance in CL history

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Isaías Silva Serafim, Jan 10, 2023.

1. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    #51 ffff15, Jun 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    You are getting so annoying right know, out of the top of my head Cruyff performances against Liverpool 66/67, Benfica 68/69 & Feyenoord 74/75 are better than ZZ's best

2. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    You tell me what Xavi 2009 has over Cruyff 73 exactly? Cruyff was like the mixture of Xavi & Iniesta in the 73 final.
    He created a 1 big chance as well from a dead ball, very impressive sombrero skill

3. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    Yes they were dominant thanks to Cruyff

4. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    Eusebio vs RM 62 is 10/10
    Rivera vs Ajax 69 is 9.5/10

5. CristianoPuskas

Manchester United
    Portugal
    May 27, 2021
    they are not. only Benfica was comparable but not enough footage. Kiev and Ajax were easily better than Feyenoord be serious

6. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Wrong

Cruyff vs juventus 1973 was like

Gerd muller
    IMG_2187.gif

Xavi Hernandez
    IMG_2188.gif

David Beckham
    IMG_2189.gif

Micheal laudrup
    IMG_2190.gif

combined

7. CristianoPuskas

Manchester United
    Portugal
    May 27, 2021
    carlito86 repped this.
  8. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    I'm not gonna waste any more time on a guy like you again, you are god of fallacy
    you just selected 2 3 actions of over 100 touches of Cruyff to fool who? grow up and start acting like a logical person to be taken seriously

9. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    #59 ffff15, Jun 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    Maradona vs England is 9.5/10, he wasn't that dominant throughout the game.

10. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    how he knew Cruyff didn't meant to shoot there is beyond me
    upload_2024-6-11_19-40-15.png

11. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Maradonas 2nd goal vs England on its own and taken in complete isolation is greater and more iconic than Johan Cruyffs entire 1972/73 EC campaign

and it is equally far greater than anything and everything Johan Cruyff did in the last 3 games of the 1974 WC

no need to even rate his entire 90 minute performance

12. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    OK whatever you say, I'm done with you

13. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If that is a shot attempt

if

that is the worst decision making on a football field I’ve seen in my life.

14. ffff15

ffff15 Member

Argentina
    Sep 29, 2021
    Yet it hit the post

15. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    IMG_2189.gif

The goalkeeper wasn’t even remotely bothered
    You are delusional as usual

this rebounded for a counter attack by juventus

it was a cross and IF it wasn’t I think we should just pretend it was.

16. CristianoPuskas

Manchester United
    Portugal
    May 27, 2021
    so Maradona vs England is only 0,5 more than Cruyff vs Juventus? ok

17. Bin1250

Bin1250 Member

Arsenal
    Argentina
    Jun 16, 2023
    We didn't have many memorable performances, but in the last several years, the best performance that was seen from a player but was not talked about much was Ronaldo in 2018. The process that he had until the end of the quarter of the Champions League was the best performance that a player had given, not in terms of technical quality or general play, but more because of the great impact he had in every game, including a very good performance against Tottenham, Dortmund, Paris. And Juventus... In the final, Real's first goal against Liverpool started with Ronaldo's recovery of the ball Because of his performance in the last 3 games, it was not the best performance of his CL career, which is natural
    Deco 2004 was also wonderful
    In general, my Rankings is based on this, at least in the last 25 years
    1-Messi 2011
    2- Ronaldo 2017
    3-Messi 2015
    4- Ronaldo 2014
    5-Messi 2019
    6-Benzema 2022
    7- Ronaldo 2018
    8-Zidane 2002
    9- Deco 2004
    10- Ronaldo 2013

18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    He did IMO (in the ballpark of at least): for example Liverpool 1966/67 by the looks of it, and Feyenoord 1974/75. Not every Cruyff performance can be seen in full of course either.

19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    IMO even in games we can see from the limited catalogue Cruyff has played several (including International ones etc I mean, not limiting to CL/EC) better than Messi 2011 Final (but I think Messi has played several better than 2011 Final myself tbh too).

I think all those you mention in your post are better than Messi 2011 Final (arguably not the Cruyff 73 Final itself potentially - I'd need to re-watch both back to back to give my own call on that I think though...which your post allows I guess lol but I haven't done it before posting this).

If Sofascore didn't exist you'd be downplaying Cruyff's 1974 World Cup more than you do perhaps (I don't want us to be making jibes at each other and much prefer we get on well but I'm not letting the 'blinded by nostalgia' comment go if it was aimed at me which it seems like it partially would be). You could show the video for C.Ronaldo vs Dortmund 2013 or whatever, or talk about the level of Galatasaray, if you were being balanced about things, if you see what I mean, couldn't you (unless you're saying everyone accepts he plays games with lots of misplaced actions, and stat-pads when not playing very well overall or produces his best goals of a CL vs relative minnows at times etc so it doesn't need saying....)?

Anyway, I didn't intend to start off this kind of jibing to be honest with my post; like I said I thought it was kind of making up for when I (justifiably to be fair) pointed out the Ronaldo Nazario fitness situation to CristianoPuskas in potentially a harsher way than I normally would do, and I did like his attempt at showing all Zidane BCC created on Twitter/X for sure.

CristianoPuskas repped this.
  20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think all things considered this one has a case vs Zidane Ajax 97 feasibly too for example: and certainly vs Messi Man Utd 2011 IMHO:

I can't be so 'blinded by nostalgia' if putting Messi 2014/15 down as my idea of best CL campaign (albeit I know that starts in 1992) anyway. But I did mean it when I welcomed Carlito back and wished him well etc, so like I say I don't want to be falling out with him (sometimes you did make posts aligning with my ideas about numbers of technical players in certain eras or saying of recent times that there aren't so many great players around Carlito yourself...so I don't think you believe everything I type is driven by 'nostalgia' even if you won't see everything the same and I admit certain lists I make, not on this thread so much though, so have more of a skew towards retired players...but it doesn't automatically make that invalid or wrong if I genuinely think that way).

Nostalgia can also apply to relatively recent years, for relatively young people (because it means precisely looking back on times with fondness, and seeing things of 'your time' or 'some past times' favourably, however long ago they happened).

But I admit that Kaka's Sofascore ratings don't align with an idea about his 2006/07 campaign as one of the best (but like I said, I'd be downgrading his placing all things considered I guess - not purely because of Sofascore - changing from that 'off the top of my head' post I made initially...but not taking his 2006/07 campaign completely away from being one of the most notable ones in a wider sense I guess anyway, and I do genuinely think of his 2005 Final performance as one of the best CL games by a player, and yes you guessed it better than Messi's 2011 Final performance despite what Sofascore's calculations might suggest about that one...but I'm not claiming he was a better player at peak than Messi was or anything like that!).

Messi and C.Ronaldo do receive probably more hype (often over-hype) and attention for performances than anyone I'd have thought, though also more abuse/downplaying from the opposite ones fans I suppose....
    Former players get much less hype and attention in the scheme of things overall (among fans as a whole and especially younger fans). Some of their great performances will have many less Youtube views than an average Messi/C.Ronaldo game vs Sevilla or something....

CristianoPuskas repped this.
  21. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    And IMHO Carlito that's not a red card challenge (now, or certainly then) by Cruyff in that game; it's not two-footed actually, and it seems like there is minimal if any contact probably (the Real Madrid player carries on playing too), and it is probably more accidental/misjudged than deliberate seemingly.

22. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    In fact I kind of implied IIRC (by inclusion in a post about best career performances and/or best performances by all players) that I rated Messi vs Real Madrid away in 2010/11 over Cruyff vs Real Madrid away in 1972/73...and maybe that conclusion would seem a bit hasty in favour of the modern player in hindsight potentially/arguably! Notwithstanding that there can be some fair comments about level of respective RM teams and obviously the difficulties of comparing between eras to an extent (not forgetting Messi's Barca was better than Cruyff's Ajax overall IMO - Cruyff's Ajax being less than Netherlands 1974 as a team I think and Messi's Barca better than Spain 2010...though I realise Messi himself not being Spanish is a big factor there obviously; not forgetting too Messi playing vs one less RM player after the sending-off).

23. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    He also played very well in 1983-84 against some top level teams. Including the later UEFA Cup winner and EC finalists.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23ze7c

Let me also say Trachta underestimates his assists number a bit (and some I couldn't verify myself).

Plus, his effect on the team results is statistically very high. Both for NT and club. Much more so than some other legendary players... (which ppl don't want to see)

Anyway, I leave it here now and I also think Cristiano had some better campaigns than 2016-17....

24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, true (possibly in 83/84 vs Tottenham it might have worked better to play as more forward-oriented player from the start I suppose though, since Hoddle played very well in any case and Cruyff became more influential when playing more attacking himself).

My 'off top of head' call disagreed with your last sentence maybe, but I'm not sure about it tbh!

25. CristianoPuskas

Manchester United
    Portugal
    May 27, 2021
    similar rating to Juve vs Manchester United 97/98 Group Stage where Zidane created multiple dangerous actions. end products are there but very average in possesion. I rate both max at 7.5