News: Top 4 or Nothing: 2020/2021 season

Discussion in 'Napoli' started by Ciro Di Marzio, Feb 28, 2021.

1. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Osimhen in let’s go. Let’s make it 3

2. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  3. Sacki

Sacki Member+

Aug 23, 2015
    Denmark
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    How is Mancini the f@g still on the pitch?!!
    I hope someone breaks his leg this season

4. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If we finish 4th and Juve qualify for Europa league, that will be my scudetto

tripwire, SF19 and Sacki repped this.
  5. CarecaNapoli

CarecaNapoli Member+

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We need to get rid of Bakayoka.

what does Osimhen add? I don’t get it.

6. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I’m glad we won. Politano might not be the best player in the world but he does come in handy.

Bedelcigil and tripwire repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  8. Sacki

Sacki Member+

Aug 23, 2015
    Denmark
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Also starting to get worried but it seems it was Gattusos fault and not Osimhen.
    He was played as a target man and we parked the bus. We need a capable manager before I will give a verdict on Osimhen, because right now he is delivering nothing but lost aerial duels

9. Sacki

Sacki Member+

Aug 23, 2015
    Denmark
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Clearly both mertens and Petagna are schooled much better than Osimhen.
    They actually position themselves for success at times.

10. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Still needs to learn how to be a proper center forward. This can take some time. His value to Napoli now is to be used on counter attacks.

But IMO he will suffer under this formation. He needs to be played with a support striker

SF19 and tripwire repped this.
  11. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    It's been mentioned before. At Lille he thrived when paired with Remy, and would drift wide right often, and be dangerous from that position. Now he is asked to stay central, which takes away much of his game. He is not being used the same way here.

12. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In my modest calculations, we should be 7 points up on the table with a game in hand. We had no business losing to Spezia and Genoa. Also the lost points in Sassuolo stupidly given up at the 94th minute. We'd be battling for second place.

tripwire repped this.
  13. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    ^ Even the loss to Inter could have been different. I didn't think it was a penalty even if Ospina didn't get the ball. Insigne's sending off just made things worse. Napoli had the better of the chances.

14. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Report: DeLa can't fix tear with Gattuso
    By Football Italia staff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Napoli patron Aurelio De Laurentiis reportedly works to convince Gennaro Gattuso to stay, but the coach seems set to leave after the current campaign.

Tuttosport reports the former Milan coach doesn’t want money or players, but for De Laurentiis to publicly explain his actions after the 3-1 defeat to Hellas Verona in January.

Reports claimed the President had lined up Rafael Benitez as Gattuso’s successor already last winter, but the coach has turned things around at the Stadio Diego Maradona.

Napoli are currently on an unbeaten run of six games in Serie A and sit two points behind Atalanta and Juventus, fighting for a place in the Champions League next season.

The turnaround has convinced De Laurentiis, according to Tuttosport, but the coach needs a lot of persuading to continue.

La Gazzetta dello Sport claims Gattuso has decided to leave the Partenopei after the current campaign, as he won’t be able to fix the rapport with De Laurentiis.

The newspaper claims Maurizio Sarri could return to Naples, but Roma coach Paulo Fonseca is also mentioned, together with the usual links with Hellas Verona coach Ivan Juric and Spezia tactician Vincenzo Italiano.

--------------------------------------------

If Gattuso manages to get us into a top 4 position, I will be thankful. But we really need to part. It will be good for both us and him. He could still have the clout of a coppa italia trophy and CL qualification. He could manage many teams in Italy or abroad.

We need a STYLE/SYSTEM coach who plays attacking modern soccer.

Ciro Di Marzio and SF19 repped this.
  15. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    Things change quickly. What you may need today, might be a disaster tomorrow. I don't care who comes, but I still maintain this season should not be a measure, as not even the best coaches would have done much with the problems we had been in before. He has never had a chance to build much, as the whole team has practically never been at his disposal. When the team was healthy, we started quite well. We were competitive in all competitions and we destroyed Atalanta, Roma, and others. I don't like these comparisons, as they are often closer to conjectures.

I would like to see Sarri with Petagna as his only choice. And this is not to say that he would not have fared well, only to point out the facts.

If Gattuso goes on a winning streak from now on, it will be quite unjust to get rid of him based on what we have seen; however, we do not have to care about that thanks to DL, who has already managed to make him want to leave.

16. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Given what Gattuso showed at Milan in 2018-19, it was in the cards that he would replicate that kind of run with Napoli, but can he take Napoli that extra step further? Or is this as good as it gets under him?

I think it's accurate to suggest Gattuso can probably get more out of group of players like Petagna than Sarri could; however, Sarri would probably fare better with better quality players than Gattuso could.

17. Euphorius Thor

SSC NapoliS
    Slovakia
    Jul 14, 2017
    Probably. But I can't fire someone based on shoulda, woulda, coulda. Or at least I shouldn't do that because it is unethical, immoral, unkind, and ugly. I just try to recognize these things as they are, but I don't really feel the necessity to put myself wholly into this argument, as I think it is neither imperative nor important to protect millionaires and their petty problems. But I just feel like some things are often ignored in football, so I felt like pointing them out.

18. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I know in Milan they regretted when Gattuso left after he only fell one point short of a Champions League place, but Pioli has done a good job since taking over from Giampaolo.

In Napoli's case it's very different. Sarri is set to take over, not someone like Giampaolo or Ragnick. He's a proven success with Napoli and he won the Scudetto with Juve beating out an Inter team that is more or less the same as last season. I don't think Napoli would be able to find a better manager than him.

19. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Gattuso is leaving whether anyone wants it or not. He has no intention of coaching Napoli beyond this season. Also if you're to believe the rumors, it's ********ing hilarious that ADL has been playing footsie with multiple coaches for months and suddenly gets a change of mind when Gattuso puts two results together. To me, I've always said that I'll happy for him to succeed at Napoli, but he's not what we need going forward.

ADL has sent out feelers to a bunch of different coaches and now they say also Allegri. It bears repeating that our owner is a ********ing idiot.

tripwire repped this.
  20. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    He's like a lot of wealthy people: he thinks he can get whatever he wants for the right price and that he can do whatever he wants.

Allegri is a top manager, but I don't think he places Napoli as his favored destination. I also saw Galtier's name linked to the job just today, but I'm not sure if there's any truth to it.

21. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I feel the pressure is too much for him. I genuinely feel bad because you can tell he cares about the team but the pressure is just too much for him. He seems to be a good guy and respect to him for wanting to at the very least finish out the season like a professional.

I do believe it's over between us and Gattuso and that it's best for both us and him (like you stated above)

22. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who will coach Napoli next term?
    By Football Italia staff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Aurelio De Laurentiis will try to sway Gennaro Gattuso to stay if Napoli qualify for the Champions League but has reportedly started studying the options.

The Partenopei patron and the Calabrian coach seem set to split at the end of 2020-21, but Gattuso will receive an offer to renew with the Azzurri should he lead them to the Champions League.

The upcoming transfer market depends on the qualification for Europe and even the decision on the coach will have to wait.

Gattuso doesn’t seem willing to stay in Naples due to his relationship with the President and the Partenopei are looking at possible replacements.

La Repubblica reports Napoli are interested in a return for Maurizio Sarri, who has been without a job since leaving Juventus at the end of last season, but can only afford the former Chelsea coach if they qualify for the Champions League.

The same criteria are valid for the two other targets, with Lazio coach Simone Inzaghi mentioned as a possible successor for Gattuso.

The third on the list mentioned by La Repubblica is Roma tactician Paulo Fonseca, who’s future at the Olimpico is still uncertain.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Funny how there is so much demand for Paulo Fonseca at Napoli but Roma wants him out badly....

24. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't follow the ins and outs of Roma so I don't know his deficiencies. To me it looks like he's punching at his weight. I know the Italian pundits like him a lot. Even if he gets fired tomorrow, he will get swooped up by another club inside or outside of Italy.

What you say @La Magica

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #250 falvo, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    I think Fonseca is doing a fairly good job considering.

Losing to Parma and Napoli have been a setback and not starting Edin Džeko has left them dry but that was mostly a club decision more than anything else.

It was not really his fault that they had a point taken away in the opener at Verona.

If Zaniolo were healthy, they may have obtained some better results and/or points in the standings. I don't think their roster has enough to compete for the scudetto so you can't blame that on Fonseca.