Top 3 players on your team

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Viking64, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Wheaton College: Norton, MA. About to play Drew in the NCAA Divvy III semis this coming Saturday. I've watched most of their games and, in this order, I'd rate the top three players all of whom, IMHO, stand a chance to play beyond college.....

James Greenslit: Centreback, 2nd yr: A beast and getting better all the time. Never gets beat and comes away with the ball at his feet ready to make a sure pass most of the time.

George Thomas: Attacking Midfielder, 4th yr: Can score with head, feet and anything else. Great header, both in the box and on the park. Fine ball skills and a devastating tackler. Not the fleetest but good motor.

Barry Finnerty: Fullback, 3rd yr: Good at the overlap, passing and defense. Best free kick taker I've seen at this level. Corners, crosses, benders, the lot. Silky left foot. OK speed.

2. realtalk101

realtalk101 New Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Ventura, Ca.
    UP top 3 +

Kyle Tanner- probably not even looked at by most coaches but his skills are amazing and his services are pin point

Josh Simpson- you guys all talk about Ned going at defenders... I was watching this kid play against Creighton and he did four guys down the right touch line...one of the kids chased him down and he did him again. This is not to mention the kids pace and ability to take a knock and keep his feet.

Alex Salazar- everyone knows the kid doens't miss when he shoots and he has the ability to read the field. He is also very good at holding the ball up and working with his fellow forward and middies running of the ball

Heath Pearce- Pace, defending ability, attacking skill, a great shot, left defender, middy, forward, the kid is legit anywhere on the field

Luis Robles- Look for this keeper to get better under one of the most under rated coaches in college soccer Bill Irwin. Luis' athletic ability and his growing knowledge will be catching the eyes of a ton of pro scouts in the near future

3. BigPaul

BigPaul New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Butler University

Butler doesn't get much press, and has a young team. We finished with a 12-7-3 record, league runner-up, fewest league goals allowed, a 0-0 tie with Creighton, a 1-1 tie with IU, a 1-0 win over Kentucky and a 2-1 OT loss to Cincinnati (we were up 1-0 with 8 minutes left).
    Top 3 players:

GK Evan Rhinehardt (Jr) - 6'4", 240lbs, one of the top keepers in the region

D/MF John Mariscalco (So) - led the team in game winning goals and one of the top centerbacks in the region

M Andy Pancio (Jr) - led the team in points and one of the top midfielders in the region

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Re: UP top 3 +

I don't see how you can say a guy is underrated as a coach when he's been in charge for only three months. Right now, he's neither under nor over rated because he is still on his grace or honeymoon period.

And, I don't think you can say he was underrated as an assistant coach as he was frequently named as an assistant coach with the U20 and U23 teams. Bill is very well thought of by the higher-ups in the American soccer community, hence his invitaions to coach the YNT.

He doesn't have Clive's natural charm and charisma - who does? - but he's going to do fine as a head coach at Portland.

Hello, Chivas USA! There gonna need a GK or two and Luis meets one of their criteria.

5. DownSouth

DownSouth New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Hey Sand!

I'm sure these questions will sound ignorant, but...

What requirement are you talking about?

Has there been an agreement or anouncement about the Chivas MLS team - i.e. is it definite and where?

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Nothing is official but folks from Chivas in Mexico who would be the high-ranking officials of the club in MLS have made it clear that they want as many Latino - and preferably Mexican - players on a Chivas USA team.

For those that don't know, Chivas prides itself as being the only club in Mexico to have never used a foreign player.

Chivas isn't going to be able to have a team of 24 Mexicans on the team because of MLS rules but they are expected to have as many Mexican internationals as the MLS rules permit then stock the rest of the team with American players of Latin herritage with as many Mexican-Americans as possible.

I have no idea what Luis Robles' ethnic herritage is but as Latino player he would meet Chivas' criteria and not count as a foreigner.

I don't want this to turn into a Chivas thread. There are PLENTY of those on the MLS boards debating the plusses and minuses of Chivas USA's strategy and the legal and ethnic measures that accompany it.

Robles was mentioned as a pro candidate by one of the posters and I was just pointing out that Robles, being a Latin GK who wouldn't count as a foreigner, would make him appealing to Chivas USA.

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    the teams I follow in New Jersey

St. Peter's
    Rinaldo Chambers
    Megaloudis

Rutgers
    Josh Gros
    Richie Arenas

FDU
    Jonny David

8. DownSouth

DownSouth New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    OK, thanks Sandon - I'll go research it on the MLS sites.

9. VCU Fan

VCU Fan New Member

Sep 4, 2002

I've heard that Trevor's knee was so badly distroyed by O'Hara of GMU that his career is in jeopardy. Such a shame for an outstanding player who probably had a pro career in his future. Let's hope he has a complete and speedy recovery.

10. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Re: UP top 3 +

what school??? UP is Portland??

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This would totally suck if true. Here's hoping it's not.

Anyone plugged in at ODU know any details about McEachron's status?

And the thing of it is, O'Hara is a damn good GK - if he were a US citizen, he'd be part of our youth national team setup. It sucks that now this guy is linked to such an unfortunate play.

And, yes, UP is the University of Portland.

12. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He blew his knee out against George Mason right before the end of the season. He looked awesome against Drexel when they played in Philly.

The big three from ODU are:

Attila Vendegh
    Kevon Harris
    Kevin McMenamin-this kid is good