Top 10 Premier League era (incl. FA Cup) goals

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by PDG1978, May 17, 2020.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #1 PDG1978, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Alan Shearer and Ian Wright were picking them last night (and choosing their own favourite goals they scored themselves - Shearer's volley vs Everton for Newcastle and Wright's juggle and lob also vs Everton for Arsenal):
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52637175

So this thread is for people to choose from their combined selection or just to make their own (which I'll do below to kick things off, and just include one in their list partly for variety but partly because I'm just seeing the one I'm putting top as a shoe-in for inclusion among their choices even though a few others are iconic goals and all have their merits for sure).

So in case the link disappears here are their choices:
    Bergkamp vs Newcastle (a) 2001/02
    Di Canio vs Wimbledon (h) 1999/00
    Giggs vs Arsenal (FA Cup semi-final) 1998/99
    Henry vs Man Utd (h) 2000/01
    Kompany vs Leicester (h) 2018/19
    Le Tissier vs Newcastle (h) 1993/94
    Le Tissier vs Blackburn (a) 1994/95
    Rooney vs Newcastle (h) 2004/05
    Sinclair vs Barnsley (h, FA Cup) 1996/97
    Suarez vs Newcastle (h) 2012/13
    Townsend vs Man City (a) 2018/19
    Van Persie vs Aston Villa (h) 2012/13
    Wilshere vs Norwich (h) 2013/14
    Yeboah vs Liverpool (h) 1995/96

My top 10:
    10th - Georgi Kinkladze vs Middlesbrough (a) 1995/96 (start of video)

9th - Lars Bohinen vs Tottenham (a) 1994/95

8th - Eric Cantona vs Wimbledon (a, FA Cup) 1993/94

7th - Robert Pires vs Aston Villa (a) 2001/02

6th - Dennis Bergkamp vs Sunderland (a, FA Cup) 1996/97

5th - Ryan Giggs vs QPR (a) 1993.94 (second one on video)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CARoxpkS2eo
    4th - Andrei Kanchelskis vs Oldham (FA Cup semi-final) 1993.94
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QubC7F1fDnM
    3rd - Robert Pires vs Leeds (a) 2001/02
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV-dwSHDpNw
    2nd - Gianfranco Zola vs Wimbledon (FA Cup semi-final) 1996/97
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ImWZStSyA
    1st - Matt Le Tissier vs Blackburn (a) 1994/95
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbMAKr6s08Q

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Here are the top 5 with the videos (couldn't post more than 5 in a single post)
    5th - Ryan Giggs vs QPR (a) 1993.94 (second one on video)

4th - Andrei Kanchelskis vs Oldham (FA Cup semi-final) 1993.94

3rd - Robert Pires vs Leeds (a) 2001/02

2nd - Gianfranco Zola vs Wimbledon (FA Cup semi-final) 1996/97

1st - Matt Le Tissier vs Blackburn (a) 1994/95

3. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    My vote at #1 goes to Kanchelskis.

PDG1978 repped this.
  4. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think hazards goals vs Arsenal 16/17 and against West ham 18/19 Are better than any english top flight goal of Andrei Kanchelskis

The shearer list is way too retro for my liking aswell
    Did the PL cease to exist in 2004?

The kompany goal was a clean strike
    Nothing otherworldly
    It seems to be voted in on the basis of its importance to Manchester city's title?

So why not vote in aguero vs QPR

My personal pick for best ever PL goal and I've said this before many a time

If only van persie was a magical bald French man
    And Rooney a good looking male underwear model

Blueallthru repped this.
  5. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This is how they and the public ordered them.

https://www.givemesport.com/1568519...e-10-greatest-goals-in-the-premier-league-era
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52637175

I'm surprised, but not unhappy, that they didn't include the shinned overhead kick by Rooney against Man City. That halfway line goal or the volley was better by him.

That Van Persie volley against Villa is nowhere near the top 10 best FA Cup goals and Premier League goals he scored. Just start up a video, and already in his early days he has some who go beyond this. For overseas players he has the third most goals, behind Henry (who just like him topped the assist chart as well in a season) and Aguero.

I also miss a Berbatov goal in this list. Say, the one against Liverpool, in which he scored a hat-trick (as first player in 40 years or so).

6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm willing to tally up votes if people do want to pick top 10s, although I realise it's not straightforward to make a list and try to consider all the contenders or remember all the ones you'd like to include.

carlito86 repped this.
  7. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #7 carlito86, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Van persie is only 1 half of that goal
    It's the 50 yard Hollywood pass of Wayne Rooney that makes it a uniquely impressive strike

Carlos Albertos goal vs italy 70 was voted 1 or 2 world cup goal ever
    Nobody is kidding themselves if they say it was just because of the finish
    The build up(and stage)makes it iconic

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    These are the two goals chosen by Shearer and Wright as their own best:

I suppose the easier task that everyone can do easily is to just order the ones chosen by those two, perhaps including their own (they were either not allowed or chose not to put their's among the top 10 I think, although I'm not sure if they could have chosen each other's - Wright said that Shearer's best was a different kind of volley also for Newcastle vs Villa; meanwhile a few more goals were mentioned mainly by Gary Lineker, but also by Wright I remember, for example with a mention of a different Kinkladze goal against Southampton).

If I had been simply doing that I guess I'd end up with this:
    1 - Le Tissier (Blackburn)
    2 - Bergkamp (Newcastle)
    3 - Giggs (Arsenal)
    4 - Henry (Man Utd)
    5 - Van Persie (Villa)
    6 - Di Canio (Wimbledon)
    7 - Le Tissier (Newcastle)
    8 - Yeboah (Leeds)
    9 - Shearer (Everton), otherwise Sinclair (Barnsley)
    10 - Wright (Everton), otherwise Rooney (Newcastle)

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #9 PDG1978, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    I'm thinking I'd probably have put several more of these in an overall top 20 attempt anyway (but that stage I'd be thinking neither the variety aspect or possibly thinking other goals were preferable would be so much a factor), which maybe could have been rounded off like this if I'd done it:
    20th - Robert Pires vs Tottenham (h) 2000/01

19th - Georgi Kinkladze vs Southampton (h) 1995/96 (from 1:10)

18th - Matt Le Tissier vs Newcastle (h) 1993/94
    17th - Paulo Di Canio vs Wimbledon (h) 1999/00
    16th - Dietmar Hamann vs Portsmouth (h) 2003/04

15th - Robin Van Persie vs Aston Villa (h) 2012/13
    14th - Thierry Henry vs Man Utd (h) 2000/01
    13th - Ryan Giggs vs Arsenal (FA Cup semi-final) 1998/99
    12th - Dennis Bergkamp vs Newcastle (a) 2001/02
    11th - Eden Hazard vs West Ham (h) 2018/19

I suppose goals in European competitions weren't meant to be considered, but some come to mind like a Ginola volley in 96/97, and the Arsenal team goal on the break vs Juventus in 01/02 with Bergkamp setting up Ljungberg at the end.

This list of the BBC Goals of the Month/Season (though with ITV taking over in certain years, not all of which are showing here) can help to refresh memories for some noted goals I guess
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Goal_of_the_Month

10. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I had a go at comparing to the list of top World Cup goals I made before and choosing the best (as opposed to which I like best) in each position - of course it's hard to say one outstanding goal is really better than another and obviously everyone would have a different top 20 order in any top goals selection (so someone else could choose more of the World Cup goals when lined up as I've done, but from their own lists choose more Premier League goals potentially):

1 - Carlos Alberto (Brazil) vs Italy 1970 (verdict: wins vs Le Tissier at Blackburn)
    2 - Dennis Bergkamp (Netherlands) vs Argentina 1998 (verdict: wins vs Zola's FA Cup semi-final goal)
    3 - Diego Maradona (Argentina) vs England 1986 (verdict: wins vs Pires/Arsenal team goal at Leeds *if I switch 1 and 3 to make goals more comparable in terms of team/solo goals I think World Cup goals take both verdicts too to be fair)
    4 - Pele (Brazil) vs Sweden 1958 (verdict: wins vs Kanchelskis FA Cup semi-final goal)
    5 - Nelinho (Brazil) vs Italy 1978 (verdict: loses vs Giggs at QPR)
    6 - Esteban Cambiasso (Argentina) vs Serbia & Montenegro 2006 (verdict: wins vs Bergkamp at Sunderland)
    7 - Archie Gemmill (Scotland) vs Netherlands 1978 (verdict: wins vs Pires at Villa)
    8 - Diego Maradona (Argentina) vs Belgium 1986 (verdict: loses vs Cantona at Wimbeldon)
    9 - Pele (Brazil) vs Mexico (1962) (verdict: wins vs Bohinen at Tottenham)
    10 - Roberto Bettega (Italy) vs Argentina 1978 (verdict: loses vs Kinkladze at Middlesbrough)
    11 - Johan Neeskens (Netherlands) vs Brazil 1974 (verdict: wins vs Hazard against West Ham)
    12 - Josimar (Brazil) vs Poland 1986 (verdict: loses vs Bergkamp at Newcastle)
    13 - Roberto Baggio (Italy) vs Czechoslovakia 1990 (verdict: loses vs Giggs FA Cup semi-final goal)
    14 - Just Fontaine (France) vs Brazil 1958 (verdict: loses vs Henry against Man Utd)
    15 - Saeed Al Owairan (Saudi Arabia) vs Belgium 1994 (verdict: loses vs Van Persie against Villa)
    16 - Michael Laudrup (Denmark) vs Uruguay 1986 (verdict: wins vs Hamann against Portsmouth)
    17 - Gheorghe Hagi (Romania) vs Colombia 1994 (verdict: loses vs Di Canio against Wimbledon)
    18 - Kazimierz Deyna (Poland) vs Italy 1974 (verdict: wins vs Le Tissier at Newcastle)
    19 - Johnny Rep (Netherlands) vs Scotland 1978 (verdict: wins vs Kinkladze against Southampton)
    20 - Roberto Baggio (Italy) vs Spain 1994 (verdict: wins vs Pires against Tottenham)

So I've got World Cup goals taking it 12-8 (and certainly getting the nod among more of the goals at the top of the lists, though quite possibly my World Cup top 10 looks more like a consensus would do than my Premier League one)! I ended up with more team goals from the World Cup noticeably overall (and it's particularly hard to compare a team goal to an individual one), although there have been plenty of good ones from the Premier League too.

12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It's a bit of an uneven comparison anyway, because World Cups only happen every 4 years, with a limited number of games, but prompted by the recent Salah goal vs Man City I'm thinking that it's possible I could have the Premier League up 13-12 after adding another 5 options!

These were the next 5 I'd originally put on my World Cup goals list attempt....
    21 - James Rodriguez (Colombia) vs Uruguay 2014
    22 - Maxi Rodriguez (Argentina) vs Mexico 2006
    23 - Eder (Brazil) vs USSR 1982
    24 - Jairzinho (Brazil) vs England 1970
    25 - Robin van Persie (Netherlands) vs Spain 2014

So I'll slot the Salah goal in as number 21 (while considering that in theory it could go higher)
    Salah's wondergoal from all angles! ✨ - YouTube
    It's a different type of goal so hard to compare but I think I'd give it the nod over the James volley.
    At 22 could be Rodney Wallace vs Tottenham (actually it's not a new goal but I could easily consider this to end up top 20 too probably!)
    Rod Wallace wonder goal | From The Archive | Leeds United 2-0 Tottenham
    Hotspur 1993/94 - YouTube

Similary, it's very different to the Maxi volley, but similarly I think it can be given the edge on it (by me at least).
    I think another Yeboah goal (vs Wimbledon - the one already in is vs Liverpool, as chosen by the Match of the Day panel) can be next
    Yeboah vs Wimbledon - YouTube
    I like the slick team aspect of the Eder goal and he finishes impressively too, so I'm possibly about 50/50 on whether I do put the Yeboah one ahead - maybe it's more like a 12.5/12.5 draw!
    I'll put in this other Arsenal team goal next, finished by Ashley Cole, vs Aston Villa
    Ashley Cole goal - Aston Villa v Arsenal 04/02/2005 - YouTube
    I would place that one over the Jairzinho goal (both being excellent team goals though, with expertly played final passes by Pele and Bergkamp)
    Then for number 25, I'll go with a halfway line goal and settle on the 'original' one, given the goalkeeper is not really in a bad position and it's flighted over him pretty perfectly...so it's Beckham vs Wimbledon
    David Beckham Halfway Line Goal Vs Wimbldeon - YouTube
    It's a hard call with the Dutch goal vs Spain again actually I think, but there could be a case at least to go with the Beckham one (even though it's only one player involved rather than two - does that make it more notable though looking at it in one way as he doesn't need to use a team-mate - I'm not sure!)....

13. Calculator

Calculator Member

Aug 6, 2021
    That seems to have become underrated over time. Best goal he ever scored and technically on par with a lot of Bergkamp’s best.

14. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You mean arguably the best goal he ever scored
    or the best goal he ever scored in your opinion

Also a direct corner kick goal in the MLS
    Its hard to compare

15. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Joe cole vs Sweden 2006?

16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It's quite similar to those in a way, being a well struck volley, yeah.

It's hard to pick out a small list and not leave out some similar goals though. Maybe he has a bit more time, and it's a bit more comfortable/normal in terms of the volley technique compared to those, but his is further out on the other hand isn't it....

17. Calculator

Calculator Member

Aug 6, 2021
    If that counts then so does the goal Pele scored in Escape to Victory :confused:

18. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Or even goals against some drunk guys from Colombia (Diego Maradona vs deportivo Pereira)

19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I've seen the first 30 minutes of something that is on Netflix. Abysmal. It is called "Gold Stars: The Story of the FIFA World Cup Tournaments"

The selection of top goals is typically FIFA. Brazil, Argentina, England (Michael Owen '98), Italy and Germany is included in their selection, plus Oweiran in 1994 to please the Saudis. That's all.

20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Surprising if the Bergkamp one isn't in there....

21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Doesn't belong to the eyeball catching clickbait arenas, or one of these petrol states. That's how Owen gets in instead.

And if you become too dominant, it has been okay for the last 30 years to cripple you.

1482508201807470595 is not a valid tweet id

1481853684048875521 is not a valid tweet id

(That he played an insane amount of minutes in 2021, more than any midfielder in the Big Five leagues, an important reason behind being out of form, and was per the metrics as WhoScored and CIES the 2nd best regular Barcelona player, last season and this one, they don't talk about)

The snubbing is obvious.