Top 10 Most Promising African Footballers

Discussion in 'Africa' started by tomaszlegg, Nov 10, 2005.

1. tomlegg

tomlegg New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    So with the U17 Championships kicking off this week in Algeria; lets get this thread up and running again!!

2. DJPuma

DJPuma New Member

Apr 10, 2001
    New York City
    Tom, Good to have you back!

3. tomlegg

tomlegg New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    Cheers Ces; lets get started with a new list (Im making this up of under 20 players by the way)....

1. Rabiu Ibrahim (Nigeria/Sporting Lisbon) - attacking midfielder who rose to prominence as part of the acclaimed Nigerian Under 17 side that won the U17 World Cup in Korea, in 2007. Local media dubbed the midfielder the 'new Jay-Jay' after is exploits in Asia. From what I have seen of Rabiu I would liken him more to Andres Inesta combined with Xavi; he is less of a flair player than Okocha, more of a technical master; threading intricate ball's through seemingly impenetrable defences (ala Xavi) and making bursting runs through the midfield (ala Inesta). After the U17 tournament, Sporting Lisbon splashed out 1 Million Euros for the Nigerian midfielder; a brilliant move for the youngster in my mind. I would predict that Rabiu will be bedded into the first team once influential captain Joao Moutinho leaves this summer; and to all you Sporting fans that disagree with that last statement... its about time you lived in the real world!

2. Macauley Chrisantus (Nigeria/Hamburg) - the star of Nigeria's U17 triumph in Korea, hailed as one of the brightest stars in Nigerian football. Strong, direct and lethal in front of goal, Mac' is well positioned to become one of the top African players. After all the top European clubs clambered to sign the youngster after his U17 exploits - Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man Utd all rumoured to be in the running - Mac opted for what seemed a more sensible option; Hamburg. Although he is yet to make an appearance for the first team, he has been in free scoring form for their reserves and should - I sincerely hope - get his chance next season. Watch this space!

3. Ransford Osei (Ghana/Maccabi Haifa) - the top scorer in the 2009 U20 African Championships and second highest scorer in the U17 Korea in 2007. A slightly built striker - I would liken him to Issac Promise of Nigeria, but with better composure in front of goal. He joined Maccabi this season and has been used sparingly as the club intend to protect their young asset from prying eyes in Spain and England. Scoring one in four, he has showing brilliant signs of progression from 2007 - 2009. Lets hope it continues.

4. Daniel Opare (Ghana/Real Madrid) - Coveted as another African revelation at U17 Korea, Real Madrid liked what they saw so much that they snapped up the young attacking right back immediately after the tournament. Although very small, I would liken him to Rafael Da Silva of Man Utd; fast and skilful, but their is one attribute that Rafael is still to learn and that Opare has; Defensive positioning and awareness! Has made steady progress with Real Madrid Castilla (second team) this season, but I do worry that the move to Madrid may hamper his first team opportunities, with the immovable Sergio Ramos casting a shadow over the young Ghanaian.

5. Jerome Ouiya (Burkina Faso/Centre Naba Kango) - the 16 year old has only come to prominence in the last few weeks, with his early exploits against Zimbabwe catching the eye. A hat-trick in his sides opening game has made everyone stand up and take notice of the Burkina Faso striker. His striker partner Issouf Zidane Oungrana (nice middle name there Issaouf), scored two in the second game and also looks a handful.

6. Sadick Adams (Ghana/Athletico Madrid) - Similar to team mate Daniel Opare, Sadick was snapped up by the other side or Madrid - Athletico - after his impressive showing in the U17 tournaments; scoring four goals and setting up on of the tournaments most explosive and formidable front line partnerships with Ransford Osei. His contract with Athletico was officially announced in Jan 08, and Sadick has since been plying his trade with the Athletico B team. Similar in size to Ransford; Sadick is a speedy striker with a keen eye for goal.

7. Ishmael Yartey (Ghana/Benfica) - The 'Ghanaians Giggs', Ishmael is the third member of the what Ghanaian journalists are dubbing - rather hopefully - their golden generation. A speedy, skilful winger - who can play both on the left and right - dazzled scouts at the U17 in Korea and U20 Africa Championships with his blistering runs. The area of his game that need the most attention is his crossing/final delivery. He's fantastic at cutting in from the wing and getting off a shot, but his final delivery on the wing need some work. Expect to hear more of Ishmael next season as he's already training with the first team!

8. Sapol Mani (Togo/Al-Ittihad) - 17 year old utility midfielder was the heartbeat of Togo's U17 side in Korea. After being voted Togo's young player of the year in 2007, Mani soon made the move to Libyan Champions Al-Ittihad. He has since gone on to become an integral member of the squad and has already made three international appearance from Togo, scoring one goal.

9. Moussa Maazou (Niger/CSKA Moscow) - the 20 year old striker was recently bought by Russian giants CSKA, with the Russians immediately loaning the young Niger striker back to the Belgium club until the end of the season. The youngster has already scored 14 goals in 19 appearances for Lokeren. Already a full international with Niger, Moussa will look to lead the ever improving fortunes of his nations football side.

10. Francis Kahata (Kenya/Thika United?) - I'll agree with previous poster M.O.T. here and punt for an unlikely final choice. Francis may turn out to be a storm in a tea cup, a player who's ability is boosted by the Kenyan media, but a lot of sources have indicated that the Kenyan midfielder may be a fantastic talent. He was pulling the strings for Thika United towards the tail end of last season, but has not represented top of the table Thika this season. He was touted around Liberty Academy in Ghana (who helped the career of a certain McDonald Mariga, Kenya's and Parma's lynchpin midfielder) last year and more recently - Feb. 09 - Bootlaces Academy in South Africa; it is obvious that he has talent, but he is a player on the move right now.

So everyone.... do you agree/disagree with my new 10? Maybe I've missed a glaringly obvious player out? Let us know!

4. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Who knows something about Osei Bonsu from Heart of Orks ?

5. tomlegg

tomlegg New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    Good post by the way; the one thing my list was lacking was up-and-coming African defenders.

He's a strong, bulky defender - ala John Mensah - who will sit in your back four and provide no frills cover for 90 minutes. I heard rumours in early March that he was having a week long trial with Hoffenheim in Germany, but have not heard whether he impressed enough to earn a transfer.

One thing is for sure, he has a number of European sides looking at him and if he continues to progress the way he has been over the past two season for Hearts of Oak then he will be on the move in the near future.

Hope that helps

6. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    thanks ^

Can somebody give me details about rahim ayew ?

7. tomlegg

tomlegg New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    Rahim has been an every present selection for Ghanaina youth sides; I've seen him play for the U17 and U20 a few times. To be honest Berloha he never really stood out during the times I watched him; I had a friend watch him a while ago for Eleven Wise and commented that he's similar in style to Anthony Annan, but with a poorer passing range and physical build. If you guys really wanted a player you should have gone for Annan!

But this was a few month back and maybe he has developed since, I know some people were talking about him post the CHAN tournament but I would imagine that he still has to improve quite a bit before being considered a first team player for you guys.

8. Leocheck

Leocheck Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Just one quick Info: Fofana left Fredrikstad last summer, Charlton loaned him out to Cherbourg in France. By the Way Fredrikstad is a Norwegian club. He didn't do well in Fredrikstad, and I don't think he will become an African star.

Second Jallow's Club Brøndby is from Denmark.

9. tomlegg

tomlegg New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya

Cheers for that Leo, good to hear an update about Beko although disappointing to hear that he's seemingly not developed at all!

Thanks for the Brøndby correction, apologies to any Brøndby fans out their. I had a Swedish friend who supported them once, always trips me up :)

So what do you think of the list Leo? Or the updated one?

10. tomlegg

tomlegg New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    Update:

"4. Jonathan Quartey: Currently playing for Kaizer Chiefs; to be honest, I haven't seen Jon play for a while. But the move to Kaizers in 2008 is a positive step for the 20 year old. The PSL will give him a good platform to develop and a chance of being scouted to play in Europe, most likely France. I still have hope for the giant Jon. Rate: 5/10"

The 21 year old Ghanaian has joined Nice in Ligue 1, great news for Ghana and Nice! Lets hope we all hear more about him next season!

11. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Isn't he the older brother of Andre Ayew the son of Ghanian legend "Pele" Abedi???

12. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    what about that ivoirinian kid 17 or 18 who was sought after by Birmingham City and played i think for Africa Sport. a striker.

13. tomlegg

tomlegg New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    "Isn't he the older brother of Andre Ayew the son of Ghanian legend "Pele" Abedi???"

Correct, but not as talented as younger brother Andre (who plays for OM).

Your thinking of Gnagbo Ange Pacome Dogba (Dogba for short). The main problem I have - or had - with this rumour was that he is not even close to being in a position to obtain a UK work permit. There is a high profile UK football agent by the name of Bryan Yeubrey that has been touting this kid around for a while but to be honest neither I or other friends around the UK football scene have seen this kid play.

I know that he's still playing in Cote d' Ivoire for Sewe Sports. If I hear anything more about him I'll let you know.

14. Fatso

Fatso Member

Jun 13, 2005
    The new African sensation is Kwadwo Asamoah of Udinese and the Black Stars. To be donned the number 10 jersey of the Black Stars is no little feat. Check his goal against Mali. Also, review his game against Kaka and the other Milan midfielders when Udinese played Milan. On Mikel Obi, I think play is one dimensional. He does not impact games as Essien does. He has no defense-splitting passing abilities. All he does his square passing. Mikel is good but not extraordinary. Same with Kalou. But this Kwadwo Asamoah is phenomenal. He is strong technically and physically. He has vision; and he is quick. Check him out. Very good player!

15. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Dogba (Dogba Gnagbo Ange Pacome), who is a young international from Cote d’Ivoire, that Spurs, Birmingham, Bolton and Portsmouth have all been trying to sign. To date they have been unable to obtain a work permit for the player.

from wikipedia...idk if you wrote this or not. but if this kid is gaining that much interest then he must be good.

16. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    and doesn't Andre even have more brothers that play futbol.

17. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Rabiu Ibrahim, born 1991.

Man, his style reminds me a lot of Riquelme. :eek:

18. tomlegg

tomlegg New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    He has a couple of family member playing football; around two or three. But none of them as notable as Andre.

From what we've seen so far, he looks like one for the future. He couldn't have chose a better place than Sporting Lisbon to develop. I agree with the comparison, but he's got a better engine that the Argentine. Lets hope he become half the passes Riquelme was!

I don't necessarily think its the kid getting interest, its more likely that those are the clubs the players agent has touted him around at. Until someone can give us an opinion, based on watching Dogba, then I'm not agreeing with any of the hype placed on this kids shoulders. Agents love to talk players up, its there business to do exactly that.

Good shout, Asamoah has come along leaps and bounds this season. I've seen him play on a number of occasions this season and agree with all of your observations; he strong, has great vision, movement off the ball is good, can execute a pass over an array of distances. I really hope he spends another season at Udinese before moving on, but if Milan or Juventus come calling then I expect he'll jump at the chance to move, and who can blame him.

I don't agree with your assumption that Obi is one dimensional. Firstly, a comparison with Essien is to early to make, he's 22 and is just coming off the back of a season where he has seen regular first team football for the first time in England, and in addition, been consistently played in one position. Secondly, as I've mentioned in previous threads his problem is that he's being converted into a deeper lying midfielder - a very regimented defensive midfielder. This is a position he has never played at during his early years in Norway and South Africa. Obi's role for Chelsea this season has basically been to break play up and in the transition get Lampard and Ballack into play as quickly as possible; they are then given the opportunity to start Chelsea's attacks. Part of me feel sorry for Obi, being deployed in a position that removes attacking opportunities from his game; but another part of me sees this as a sign of his development, in that he is prepared to work for the team in a position that I'm sure he is not overly happy with. Thirdly, because he's been playing in a more constrained role its difficult to make a direct comparison with Asamoah, the same applies with Kalou... he's a 'high-and-wide' winger.

Asamoah plays with a side who regularly deploy a 4-4-2 formation. In this line-up Asamoah is encouraged to express himself, in fact its required with that formation for him to play a more expansive game than someone like Obi.

They will both become great role models for African kids in the future. Be it Asamoah as a expansive and dominating midfielder, and Obi as a strong and simply defensive midfielder. Those roles though will be determined by the needs of there individual teams.

19. kwame_tdot

kwame_tdot Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Kwadwo Asamoah (Udinese)

20. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Hoffenheim has signed a centre back talent called Alex Albert, Nationality Nigeria.

People say fantastic things about him. 18 years, born 1991. 1,93m height.

21. tomlegg

tomlegg New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    Thanks for that Berloha. You club really do have an 'African focused' transfer policy, have you heard the rumours about Ba leaving for Stuttgart?

One other questions, Obasi; what do the Hoffenheim fans think of the Nigeria youngster? Personally I'm a huge fans of his.

22. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    what about Kinglsey Udoh, Efe Ambrose and Chibuzor Okonkwo, Stephen Worgu and Ganiyu Oseni.

23. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    oh yes. the headlines have been all over. but hoffenheim has already said several times, that they won't let him go.

He is very popular, because people know what he can, and he seems to be a grounded person - I have said it here before, this guy has everything to become one of Africas best soccer players.

The thing is, that the last half year he missed so many games due to several smaller injuries with his muscles. Hoffenheim coach has said in May that they will send him to a doctor because of that.

There is a Tunesian player we are linked with, since we are looking for a defender, it's

Hamdi Rouid (24/Club Sportif Sfaxien)

24. tomlegg

tomlegg New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    Well lets hope that Obasi lives up to both of our expectations; I understand he faltered towards the end of the season but I'm sure he was fatigued from such a intense season with both Hoffenheim and Nigeria, the latter during an impressive showing in Beijing.

Any update on Hamdi? He's a big strong defender, but I've only even seen him play a handful of games.

I'm surprised that Hoffenheim haven't made a move for Victor Obinna at Inter. Its common knowledge that the guy is up for sale this summer and he would do wonders for you guys next season!

25. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    hi tomlegg,

what position can Victor Obinna play ?

Today it is confirmed that Albert Alex will join us, even better he will join the training camp with the senior players and there is the hope that he can gain a spot for the first team. :):)

there he is (still in cologne dress )

[​IMG]