Top 10 Most Promising African Footballers

Discussion in 'Africa' started by tomaszlegg, Nov 10, 2005.

1. bashavi

bashavi New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I think all the players u mentioned r good but some of them aren't the best.When i was watching the cup of african nations(CAN) a left footer player in EGYPT (NO.3).After searching i found that he is called mohamed abd el wahab i think he must be from the best 10 promising african players he is only 21 years old & plays for AHLY(EGY) he is an excellent left SB and also have a wonderful & powerful left foot.
    fot more info about egyption players follow this link
    http://www.egplayers.blogspot.com

2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

does the power in his left foot match that of "thunder" Taye Taiwo?

3. bashavi

bashavi New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    i didn't say it is like taye taiwo but his left foot is pretty good

4. tomaszlegg

tomaszlegg New Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Torquay, UK
    I'd take Taye over Mohamed Abd el Wahab Im afraid.

Both do have great defensive capabilities, although both tend to get caught now-and-again due to there adventurous nature, But Taye just adds that touch more when he is attacking.
    He's a better crosser for a start, is a more bullish wing-back and of course has that stupidly powerful left foot.
    For me Wahab at times looked too week in attack and seems to lack the natural confidence Taye has when breaking forward to support the attack.
    But saying that Wahab is a promising defender, and will be a star for his club and county for years to come, but I don't think he will reach the highs Taye possibly could.

5. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I wish Chelsea would stop this Ashley Cole nonsense, and put in a bid for Taye Taiwo.

6. bashavi

bashavi New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    thnx for this good point

i tHink that Taye Taiwo will be more useful for chelsea than ashley cole

7. goke313

goke313 Member

Feb 12, 2006
    we still need a GK

8. bashavi

bashavi New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    u r right nigeria needs a good GK even peter rufi wasn't good i don't remember :confused: a good GK for nigeria for years i wish they can find a good GK soon

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

we actually have one, vincent enyeama has been quite solid, he hasnt made anymore mistakes than any other national team keeper. He showed himself pretty well at this years ANC.

And just wait on Ambrose Vanzekin, the kid will come good, he was quite decent in the u20 wc, and if he can latch on to a european side to get top quality gk training, he will be pretty good.

10. miky

miky Member

Dec 24, 2003
    talk about victor anichebe of everton another potential player for nigeria or stefano chuka okaka who already plays for roma http://www.stefanochukaokaka.it/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. F.L.I.P.

F.L.I.P. Member

Apr 26, 2005
    Isnt he going to play for the Italian NT though?

12. RONALDO......LEGEND

RONALDO......LEGEND New Member

May 9, 2006
    Firstly i would to say hi to all guys that has kept this forum going.

I leave in South Africa sine form birth, i follow football all over the world especially youth football,to check who are the new stars coming. I must say African football seem to have future concidering the amount of talent is coming.

I would like to parcipate in this forum by giving some analysis about South African young promising players, since i've seen that you guys got a little info about them, judging to the fact that the other guys here said Junior Khanye is already a Kaizer Chiefs legend:D which is not true. Since the boy got no club at the moment and he was kick out at chiefs in 2005/2006 season by the German Coach Ernst Minderdop.

I will give my analysis of South African players that you guys had mentioned here, aswell as the unkowns, later today.

Am i alow to mention even guys that are 22-25yrs old??

13. bashavi

bashavi New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    i saw him

yeah
    the u20 nigerian GK is very good i saw him in the world cup but i don't think he is good enough to be the GK of a team like Nigeria i hope he bnecomes better if u remember u20 world cup which was in UAE the egyption team had a fantastic GK ((Ekramy)) who plays for feyennord and hestill 22 yrs old ;)

14. tomaszlegg

tomaszlegg New Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Torquay, UK
    Okaka has Italian citizenship and has represented them at youth level.

15. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Solomon Okoronkwo is very talented player, but not a natural winger. His crosses are mediocre. While his club officially lists him as a striker, his best positions would be central behind two strikers or in a 4-1-3-2 as half-left/half-right.

Unfortunately he has a somewhat hard time at his club at the moment, his motivation was somewhat lacking last season and for legal reasons he can't play for the second team.

I'd also like to add Prince Tagoe ( 20, striker, somewhere in Saudi Arabia ) and Emmanuel Boakye ( 20, right back, Ajax ) for Ghana, though not necessarily in Africa's top ten. If they should opt for Ghana the Boateng brothers of Hertha Berlin ( Okoronkwo's club, incidentally ) would probably have to be on the list as well, they can choose between Ghana and Germany still. Info on all four of these players can be found easily.

I'm somewhat reluctant about including players only known from youth competitions, especially the U17 level. Not many of those manage the transition to top flight seniour level play.

16. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I think Hertha's Boateng was contacted by the Ghana FA to play for that country right before the WC, but he turned them down citing that he wished to play for Germany.
    I don't know whether he still wishes to do so, but that was his mentality pre-WC.

Metro

17. Cazlon

Cazlon Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Pretoria/Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Seeing that i live a couple months of the year in Berlin, i do have some albeit indirect connections. The current stance seems to be that Kevin-Prince ( 19, midfielder ) will likely choose Germany and Jerome (17, defensive allrounder ) would prefer Ghana. This should be fine with Black Stars fans since the team really doesn't need that many more midfielders, but quality defenders are somewhat scarce. That is assuming they employ a coach who actually fields players according to their strengths and not a factsheet sent by their club. Lacking flexibility was unfortunately one of Duya's major flaws.

18. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    This must be Arouna Kone, I'm a PSV fan and he's playing truly amazing the last matches. He had a problem with scoring but he was still player very good and now he's scoring as well. He has everything to become a world-class player. He's very fast, amazing dribbling, very strong and almost impossible to get him off the ball, amazing first touch, he lets other players score. If he keeps playing like this he will be the next Ronaldo,Nillis,Romario,Nistelrooy, Robben (And Farfan). And he will play for a world-class team like Barcelona or Chelsea. He has improved amazing this season

19. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  20. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    http://www.clubcall.com/index.jsp?storyID=299434

It seems like Chelsea FC may recall Jeffrey Ntuka from Westerlo in January. Does anyone have any information on this. With the current rightback problems do you think he is the solution for the long-term?

Thanks

And any info on Salami would be excellent.

21. filthat

filthat New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Salami is relatively unknown here in Denmark as well, since he has only played a few games for FC Midtjylland so it's a bit odd that Chelsea is interested in him all of a sudden.

There is another very interesting African player playing for Randers FC though, Baye Djiby Fall from Senegal. Very powerful striker, second on the topscorer list with 9 goals in 17 matches and he's only 20 years if I remember correctly.

FC Midtjylland also has Kwadwo Poku from Ghana, he played in the Olympics for them. And Nigerians Ajilore Oluwafemi and Akeem Agbetu who came from the academy they have set up down there I think.

AC Horsens has Joel Tchami from Cameroun, but he's 23 or 24 now so he probably doesn't count for the purposes of this thread.

FC Copenhagen of course has Ghana's Razak Pimpong but he has failed to re-produce the good form he showed at FC Midtjylland and there has been rumors that he was going to a swedish club this winter.

Vejle Boldklub has Adeshina Lawal and Justice John Erhenede, both Nigerians and both supposedly very talented.

Finally Viborg FF has a few Nigerians of their own, namely Paul Obiefule and Kingsley Onyenekwe who are both 20 years old and they both came from the football academy set up in Nigeria by Viborg FF.

So there are lots of interesting african players running around up here in the cold at the moment. :)

22. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Thanks, so you haven't seen much of his play. If you do see him play can you give a bit more information on him. Is he a winger or a central midfielder?
    He seems pretty small
    http://www.fcm.dk/index.php?ID=6&holdID=3&spillerID=50&mode=spillerinfo&topID=5

only 172m. Anyways any information would be great.

23. M.O.T

M.O.T Member

May 9, 2008
    I want to put this thread on the first page again as it was an interesting read. It's been almost two years since the last post, so things have changed quite a bit. Any new top 10 most promising African footballer lists???

24. M.O.T

M.O.T Member

May 9, 2008
    I'll do a top 5 of Kenya's most promising footballers. Just to get the ball rolling.....

1. MacDonald Mariga.

Plays for Parma, was recently coveted by Firiontina in the Seria A. He's 21. CMF. Definately one to watch out for.

2. Patrick Oboya

Plays for FK SIAD Most In the Czech Division One. Born in 1987. Has been capped 6 times for the Kenyan national team. Has scored twice, including this stunner. http://http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7pn-hX6Opsg&feature=related

3. Allan Wanga

It's hard to say if he has potential or he has realized his potential. He just started playing professionally. Was brought in as a possible replacement for Manucho at Atlético Petróleos in Angola. Born in 1985. Soon to be 23. While playing at Tusker FC in Kenya, he managed 13 goals in his last nine matches.

4. Daniel Oyugah
    Born in 1989. Plays for Southern Polytechnic State University, in the United States.

I'll throw in a long shot.

5. Francis Kahata.

Striker. 16 years old, Reported Interest by AC Milan, yes, THE AC Milan. Could turn out to be more of Kenya's exaggerating, but you never know. Plays for Chania High School, but is under contract at Thika Utd.

Interesting side note, Kahata can be translated as ' he missed' in Kiswahili.

Hounourable Mentions.

Curtis Osano
    Daniel Muchoki
    Oliech must be mentioned, He could be the next drogba, haha

Anyone I missed??

25. tomlegg

tomlegg New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    Blimey, I can't believe this thread I started in 2006 is still going strong; applause to all you guys and gels out there who have kept this thread going in my absence. You may notice I have set up a new account - only due to me forgetting log in and password details in my previous one.

But lets get to work; I though I'd start by reviewing my 'Top 10' predictions made in 2006 and rate there progress out of 10. Here goes;

1. Taye Taiwo: Over the last three season Taye has made the left back birth at OM - and Nigeria - his own. Although his development into a 'battering ram' attacking wing-back has been drawn praise from some quarters, its his defensive limitations; positioning, lapses in concentration and slow in the transition that have deterred English and Italian suitors. He is without doubt a fantastic left back on his day; pocket rocket left foot, strong in the tackle etc., I only hope he gets the opportunity to move to the the Premiership at the end of the season; as I for one would love to see him blossom into a excellent - all-round - left back. Rate: 8/10

2. Godwin Antwi: 20 year old Godwin is currently on loan to his fourth club since signing for Liverpool in 2005. But I will not be writing about him as he's done and done a 'Sunny' and decided to play for Spain rather than Ghana (I call it a 'Sunny' named after Sunny Sunday - the ex-Nigerian defensive midfielder - who defected to play for Spain). So adios Godwin!

3. John Obi Mikel: Now being a Man Utd fan I should resent John Obi for what he did to us prior to joining Chelsea, but I don't... Over the last two season John seems to have finally settled down in London, securing a place - in the absence of the excellent Michael Essien - in the heart of the Chelsea midfield. But for those of us who watched John in his earlier years at Lyn, there is a hint of disappointment when I see him sitting in front of that Chelsea defence, void of creative flair. Of course he is currently not a spot on Frank Lampard as an attacking option in the middle, but give the lad a chance at least. The Chelsea fans I know are still not keen on him, generally, but that mainly due to them never seeing him played consistently in a position that suits him best. Saying this, I do believe he could turn out to be a more than effective DM, if Chelsea decide to settle on that role for him and coach in accordingly. So lets hope in the next few season he can settle into a position and begin to convince the doubters out there - me being one of them! Rate: 8/10

4. Jonathan Quartey: Currently playing for Kaizer Chiefs; to be honest, I haven't seem Jon play for a while. But the move to Kaizers in 2008 is a positive step for the 20 year old. The PSL will give him a good development platform and chance of being scouted to play in Europe, most likely France. I still have hope for the giant Jon. Rate: 5/10

5. Isaac Promise: Captain the fabulous Nigeria side in the Beijing Olympics last year and impressed European/Nigerian scouts/officials at the competition. Currently playing for Trabzonspor - one of the top five in Turkey - and doing well. He has blossomed into a typical number 9, good on the ball, fantastic positional awareness, good first touch and decent movement off the ball. The one thing he lacks at the moment, a decent goal ratio. A move to Germany or France would aid the 21 year olds progression greatly. 7/10

6. Momodou Ceesay: Momo looked like he was set for the big time in 2008 when he signed for Chelsea; unfortunately the move did not work out for Momo and - although still 20 - he looks like a player who may have made the jump to Europe too early. Currently playing for Westerlo in Belgium (6th in one of Easter Europe's worst leagues) Momo has played 26 times this season without hitting the back on the net. I would hope a 1st or 2nd division French side takes a chance on him as he is still a player who - in my mind - has an incredible amount of ability, he just need to settle down in a good environment where he can develop. I am not writing you off Momo... I am still a believer! Rate: 3/10

7. Agyemang Opoku: 19 year old Opoku is currently plying his trade in Qatar with Al Sadd. Not a disastrous move for start of the 2005 African U17 Championships. I haven't seen anything from Opoku since 2005, so; Rate: Unknown

8. Dennis Oliech: The apple of my eye :) being a Kenyan supporter Dennis is to me what Torres is to Spain. Yes he may hit and miss at Auxerre this season, only netting 5 in 34, but he regularly used as a support striker; ala Wayne Rooney. Now I don't for one second compare the technical ability of Oliech to Torres or Rooney... Christ now, he is some way off them both. The best move Dennis made was to Auxerre in 2007. He has had two stable years at the club and is appreciated by the fans and coaches. Still blessed with a blistering turn of pace, its only his fumbling first touch and poor shot/goal ratio that holds him back from being a top player in France. But when he pulls on a Harambee Stars shirt... boy you better watch out! 10 goals in 13 and 4 in the 2010 WC campaign. At 24 he has solidified himself as one of the best players in East Africa, but his time is running if he wants to be considered one of Africa's best. A move to Portsmouth was mooted last summer, a move to a mid table English side this summer would make or break is career. Rate: 7/10

9. Ismael Beko Fofana: Beko has fallen right off my radar in the last few seasons. He had a trial with Charlton in 2007 and as far as I am aware signed for the Academy. Research shows that Beko currently plays for Fredrikstad in Denmark, where it is said he is on loan from Charlton as he is not able to obtain a visa. Rate: Unknown

10. Osmane Jallow: Lets get back to success stories, Jallow currently plays for the famous Brondby IF in Sweden, he's netted 5 in 10 this season and one Brondby fan I know has said he is the fans favourite. After a spell in Qatar with Al Ain and with Raja Casablanca, he made the move to Sweden at the start of this season. Already a full international with Gambia - 3 games and 1 goal - Jallow is one of the players on this list who's stock is rising by the game. If his Wiki page is to be believe, he hit 11 in 15 for Al Ain and 15 in 19 for Raja. This kid is going places people. I've seen one league game this season - a Brondby against SønderjyskE - where Jallow scored form a sublime over-head kick. Big, quick and with goals ratio to write home about, the striker will no doubt be on the radars of some of Europes eliet this coming summer. Rate: 10/10

One more player I raved about a few years ago also deserves a mention; McDonald Mariga. The midfielder has not only blossomed into one of Parma's best players this season, but one of Serie B most consistent and impressive midfielders. The tall midfielder was already on the verge of a Premiership move in 2007, but his 2.7 million pound move to Pompy broken down due to work permit problems. He move to Parma instead, initially on loan, but impressed so much that cash strapped Parma decided to splash the cash on Mariga and make his move permanent. This season's performances have drawn speculation that the midfielder will move on in the summer, with AC Milan and Juventus the most likely destinations. If he does move on though, I hope he doesn't end up sitting on the bench of a big four team. Rate: 9/10